• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

animated texture on ships?

Started by Centerline, July 27, 2008, 07:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Centerline

Has anyone been able to put an animated texture/area on a ship similar to the powergen?  I has thinking of experimenting with Blender to create a organic type ship with a glowing orb for the engine and wanted to have a moving texture on the orb so it looked like it was sort of alive.

If you have succeeded, please give me some pointers.

Thanks,

Centerline...

Steeveeo

BZ2 is not able to animate any kind of texture (on a ship, particle, or otherwise).

What you are seeing on the Powergen is just a spinning frame with the same texture as a Lung or those giant shields in the final ISDF mission in SP.

I'd reccomend using a rotating draw_geom or draw_sphere in this case.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

General BlackDragon

Computer classlabel can have animated texuture

thats all though

*****General BlackDragon*****

Nielk1

A spinning section on the ship will work. The mission DLL will have to tell the game to loop the sphere rotation.

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

Quote from: Nielk1 on July 27, 2008, 07:32:00 PM
A spinning section on the ship will work. The mission DLL will have to tell the game to loop the sphere rotation.

ooorrr....you could do the rotating draw_geom and not have to worry about DLL.

Zero Angel

Will the draw-geom work on a moving object? I experimented around before with using that, and the draw-geom would just stay in one spot. So when the ship moved, the effect would be left behind.

I did some further experiments with making the effect respawn through an emit, but that didnt work out perfectly well. What I *didnt* try though, was making the emit inherit the velocity of the craft, I think there is a variable for that.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Steeveeo

Quote from: Zero Angel on July 27, 2008, 08:14:38 PM
Will the draw-geom work on a moving object? I experimented around before with using that, and the draw-geom would just stay in one spot. So when the ship moved, the effect would be left behind.

I did some further experiments with making the effect respawn through an emit, but that didnt work out perfectly well. What I *didnt* try though, was making the emit inherit the velocity of the craft, I think there is a variable for that.
I tried it on a simple heli that N1 put together, seems to work just fine.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

General BlackDragon

just use draw_sphere and give it a rotation.

*****General BlackDragon*****

mrtwosheds

QuoteComputer classlabel can have animated texuture
Computer classlabel scrolls a non animated texture.

Warfreak

Nielk.... abotu a dll driven loop, didn't you actually premake a dll tibbit so that looping can be called via a custom .odf entry?

Fishbone did that for the 'Carryall' in Dune...  and I've added "BZCLoop" and "BZCSetup" as custom odf animation entries in the BZC DLL's. 

Makes Flying Maulers a LOT easier...  :)

What it sounds like Centerline is after would be more like the Vorlon ship skins in B5...

-Av-

Nielk1

http://www.bzcomplex.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=365

Using a simple spinning render would be best though, and not require DLL assistance.

Click on the image...