• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Battlezone 3

Started by Axeminister, September 01, 2008, 11:19:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 14, 2008, 07:46:04 AM
So engine is not important?  Well, let's do it in the old doom engine, easy to make things in it. :)

On the contrary OM..

I think the engine is the only thing that would prove to be a "cop out" in the end.

I mean if you want to make the game something people can get lost in like they did in the two previous installments of bz..

a mear theme isn't going to cut it imho.

although you could argue content placed on an engine packaged into a game is nothing else but a theme..

but battlezone really does not go well on any tried tested and true engine i've seen out there thus far.

ut3 hl2 bf2 h3 all have pretty big problems if they tried to be battlezone, is all i'm sayin...

with pixel shading 3.0 and parallel mapping the way it is now, i'd half expect a every day game of bz3 to look like a cut from the CG intro of halo generals :)

hopefully not the unfortunate center of a "the escapist, Zero Punctuation" review, altho they are friggin hilarious.

Centerline

Here is an open source game engine I've been messing with:  http://www.flatredball.com/frb/

Been working on a orthogonal board game for my own amusement.  I have very little exposure to other engines so I can't say if it is the bee's knees or not, but it does what I need and there are lots of people working on it.

Centerline...

divine_crusader

Just to comment and give an example in regards to creating a new game engine, a bunch of people are recreating the Morrowind game engine using Ogre. Here's a link for those interested.

http://www.ogre3d.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=41897&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=37a351e0f0ee1c2b*stupid*6060c7c53cc7

Point being, if several guys here were interested enough, and knew what they were doing, I think it would be well worth the time and effort to recreate BZ2's engine.