• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Windows Update + SP3 = Error

Started by Feared_1, September 05, 2008, 03:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feared_1

I've asked about this on the Microsoft website, but no one has been able to give me a good answer...

I'm using Windows Update to download and install SP3. Randomly in the middle of the install, I get an error that says "Access is Denied". The people on the Microsoft forums have helped me this far enough to figure out that something is denying Windows Update to delete it so it can't update. Here is what I was told to do by the page that explains "Access is Denied" errors:

Turn off all virus/spyware protection, restart computer - Didn't work
Run reset.cmd (obtained from the help page) - Didn't work
Install the standalone package - Only for more than one computer, so it didn't work
Run reset.cmd in an Administrator's user profile - I'm already using an Administrator's profile, wont work
Quote- download the stand-alone installer.

- use "msconfig" to select "Diagnostic Startup", and re-boot Windows.

- run the SP3 installer you downloaded earlier.

- use "msconfig" to select "Normal startup", and re-boot Windows.

I haven't tried that last one yet, and it might work, but has ANYONE else had a problem like this?

Nielk1

I never install an SP unless its after a fresh install of OS. They mess up well used PCs.

Click on the image...

Red Devil

I just let it install by itself.  Works great.
What box???

OvermindDL1

This install has been running for at least 5 years now, I have been installing the SP updates as they come out, and everything has worked fine for me (although I have my Windows install modded to the sun and back, which is why I *really* do not want to reinstall, would take years to get back to this point of perfection).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Feared_1

The problem is the "normal install". That's what gives me the error.

TheJamsh

just out of curiosity OM, have you 'backed up' that modded Windows version?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Devil

Sorry, Jamsh, I didn't read the first post.  It's probably caused a service or process running that has resources reserved.

Start with processes first by opening Task Manager and then right clicking on running processes that you know you don't need.

If trying to stop one gives you a warning, then open up Services (Start/Run/Services.msc) and sort by Status, then right click on the ones you know you don't need and stop them. 

Might want to set the start type on the one(s) causing the SP3 install to fail to manual from Automatic so that they don't start up at boot.  You can always set them back to automatic after SP3 is installed.

What box???

OvermindDL1

Yes.  This highly altered windows install is actually sitting on my oldest drive (an 80 gig drive, I install everything else to my other 7 drives) and as such is very easy to make a complete image of (including the drive serial # also stored in the image so I would not have to reactivate windows should the hard drive fail) and store it on, say, my TB drive (since a still have a few hundred megs free on it).  I should do it again sometime, made a few more 'modifications' in the past month.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey