• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

where can i find a program that records whatever is currently playing?

Started by TheJamsh, September 06, 2008, 07:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

i need an audio recorder that records whatever is being sent to my speakers or headphones.

so far i cant find a damn thing

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

There is no knowledge that is not power.

TheJamsh

Nielk1

With most sound devices (sadly not my laptop) you can open the volume mixer, go to record, and select your waveout. Then simply record as you would a microphone.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

It is not always called waveout, mine has various different ones for different ways of recordering what the computer itself is putting out, MIDI Synth (so I can record midi as wave, I got a lot of use of this years ago), "What U Hear" (everything that passes through the speakers is also recorded, from mics if I have them loob-back and all), CD Digital (record only an incoming CD, never used it), Analog Mix (record everything that computer programs are putting out, will not capture mics if they are loop-backed and so forth), and Wave (which will only capture wave output from the computer, no mic loop-back, no midi, etc...).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

My laptop has the input and output listed as completely different devices.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

i cant record unfortunately. the only way ive been able to do it is by using fraps, opening the AVI in wave editor and saving the audio data as a .WAV file, then editing in Audicity

wish i still had goldwave :(

OvermindDL1

I have a lot more inputs too, I was just listing the ones that input from what the computer outputs, this is my full Recording list:
MIDI Synth
Auxiliary 2 (RCA input on the front of my case, the drive bay that my sound card uses has a lot more stuff)
Line-In 2/Mic 2 (the mic input on the front of my computer, drive-bay again)
S/PDIF-In (the high-quality digital S/PDIF as either the RCA style plug or the laser-optical plug, they both use the same recording input, it is also on the fron drive-bay)
"What U Hear"
CD Digital
Analog Mix
Microphone (the microphone plug on the back of my computer)
Wave

EDIT:  You do know that audacity can record from any recording source as normal, just set it to wave or whatever your sound case has, much high quality and easier then using FRAPS. :P

Raven

Not to mention the trial of FRAPS sucks.

If in doubt, loopback your audio out to your line-in :P
But using Audacity by changing the source is a much better idea.

TheJamsh

i tried audicity, but it wouldnt work. my recording devices are listed as either:

Microsoft Sound Mapper - Input
Capture (Hauppauge winTV-HVR 67)

anomaly

Not very useful but there is Sound Recorder that comes with Windows.

CivBase

Audacity
I just plug one end of a cord into the headphone jack, and one end into the mic jack, then press record and play (unfortunately, it doesn't record directly, you have to use the cord).  You could also get a capture card...

OvermindDL1

That would incur a pretty large quality loss, in addition to the fact that if mic feedback is enabled (as I always have it) then it will create a nasty feedback loop.  It is better just to do it the correct way, set the recording input source on whichever sound card to the wave or whatever your brand calls it, set the input sound card in audacity to that sound card (if you have multiple sound cards, else it should just work), and record.