• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Large Hadron Collider, In france

Started by shane ward, September 06, 2008, 03:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shane ward

Large Hadron Collider

So, they bult this massive machine. But what do you think will happen when they start the first Experement, in 4 days!

Here is the website for information about it....
http://public.web.cern.ch/public/en/LHC/LHC-en.html

Will the earth get eaten by a black hole or they find a new way at making scrap and start all this for real?
Battlezone 2 Mod and Map Maker.
See my site: -
http://www.shanesdoomwads.freeservers.com/bz2

Raven

Man this is old stuff.

Been there, done that. 'End of the world' blah blah.

Not to mention I seem to remember them turning it on earlier than this and it did sod all. Or am I dreaming again? Sometime in May/June I believe...

shane ward

I think they finished building it then... This is when they are starting the experement...

Axeminister

if atoms are the building blocks of the universe then why are we smashing them into each other. Let's build something with them.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

Nielk1

They turned it on and it broke due to bad calculations. (something about magnets and collapse and dangerous)
So they also have these calculations that we won't all be killed, but, can we really trust those?
They are getting ready to try turning it on again. Before nothing made it to the collision.

Click on the image...

Raven

OvermindDL1

First of all, for a black hole to exist for more then a few microseconds, it would have to have the mass of Jupiter first, even with just the mass of the sun it would not last more then a few minutes, they need a lot more mass then that, so first of all, no Black Hole.

Atoms are not the building block of our universe, it is not the building block of matter (fermions are), it is not the building block of energy (energy exist at a lower level, heck atoms are made of energy), it is not the building block of anything basic, they are just the building blocks of the elements, nothing more (and even we are more then just elements, we have an electric field for example).

We smash atoms together to get the base constituents to break apart for a short time so we can read how they react in the chamber, the quantom spin (up/down/strange/etc...), the type, the weight, etc...

The main advertised reason (though by far not the only reason) the new collider was built was to find the 'elusive' Higgs-Boson particle.  The Higgs-Boson is a type of boson (obviously, for note, a fermion is a wave function that cannot exist at the same place as other fermion style wave functions, energy is passed between them to cause them to be knocked-back or pass through the other fermion, they are what gives matter its solidarity, light for example, where-as bosons are wave functions that can combine, exist at the same place at the same time, usually becoming stronger, like light, light is a boson and hence an infinite number of photons can exist at the same point in space at the same time, it has been shown that when fermions lose enough energy, get cold enough in other words, that change states to act like bosons, creating a bose-einstein condensate) that is thought to give matter its mass.  The Higgs-Boson is the most massive of all subparticles (all of the other subparticles have no mass actually, just energy, whereas the Higgs-Boson is mostly mass, with no real energy), it gives mass to all other types of (sub)particles.  The Standard Model predictes a number of subparticles, and so far all of them have been found except for the Higgs-Boson, because it is so massive it is very difficult to break down like the others can, it 'sticks' well, so this new collider should be able to impart enough energy onto it to break it apart so they can properly measure it (thus far the Standard model states it will be 115 and 180 GeV/c2, but they need to know its 'exact' mass to be able to determine many other things about the universe and how it works).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

a genius in programming and now physics :P

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

I've taken a Quantum Physics class in college, stuff like that was drilled well into us, along with lots of other stuff.  Quite a fun class actually, probably my most enjoyable one there.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

i enjoyed the more 'taxing' subjects as opposed to the so called 'fun' ones. (like art, where i would sit there and draw a stick man and it would be a work of art!)

Electronics was amazing, Physics was interesting, Chemistry involved explosions teehee. heck even Maths gives you a great feeling when you understand exactly how to do what youre doing.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Click on the image...

VSMIT

I'm going to regret showing that to you, aren't I?

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Red Devil

Another pronunciation is, "Large Hadean Collider"
What box???

shane ward

Feared_1

Quote from: Red Devil on September 08, 2008, 01:13:40 PM
Another pronunciation is, "Large Hadean Collider"

That's what I keep seeing when I read this topic. :)