• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Thinking Inside The Box

Started by CivBase, September 08, 2008, 06:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadbogie

Everyone is sitting on a chair made of and held together by pure energy.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

OvermindDL1

Remember, they are just a wave function, a form of energy.  In string theory it is pure energy, just vibrating through the multiple dimensions in a certain way.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Red Devil

I think dimensions is inaccurate.  I think it is more like different states of energy.  For instance, in one state, you have the SA 'particles' that behave a certain way, and in another state, you have electrons which behave a certain way, and in another, collections of energy particles that behave like protons, and, in another, you have some that behave strangely, like BBB, etc.
What box???

Nielk1

Quote from: bigbadbogie on September 11, 2008, 12:52:51 AM
Everyone is sitting on a chair made of and held together by pure energy.

ATM I'm standing.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Red Devil on September 11, 2008, 10:52:18 AM
you have some that behave strangely, like BBB, etc.

Yes, I am a strange particle.

@N1 -  :-P

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

OvermindDL1

Many quantum physics ToE say that there are quite literally more dimensions, not just different states of energy, but physical, real extra spacial dimensions.

bigbadbogie

Don't count on that.

That's just sci-fi trying to find a way to get from A to B quickly.

My BZ2 mods:

Nielk1

If you want to go vast distances instantly look at quantum entanglement to see faster than light is possible.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

FTL is possible... just slingshot orbit 20 black holes until you get up to the speed :-P.

My BZ2 mods:

OvermindDL1

Not Sci-Fi, just Science.

And no Quantum Entanglement does not allow you to transmit anything faster then light, it just works on the basis of if two particles come from the same point, they will have opposite spins (which is normally pretty random), so when you measure one at one point, then you can instantly know what the other will be, wherever it is, it will not allow you to transmit anything.

And no, FTL is not possible in all current theories; also remember, your elapsed time is directly related to your overall speed, so as you speed up your time slows down so from your own reference frame you never exceed the speed of light.  The speed of light is a constant in all possible reference frames, it is time that speeds up or slows down to keep it constant in any given reference frame.

String theory does allow for the formation of wormholes, which while still not exceeding the speed of light, bends space so that far points touch and information can be sent through.  Warning though, it only allows energetic particles to travel through (light, electricity, etc...), so you will not be sending a ship through anytime soon because any mass that would enter it would be compressed and accelerate so much that it would turn to energy anyway (and you cannot turn back at that point).  It is thought a wormhole could be stabilized if the spacetime around it was pulled apart, one thought of doing that would be to spin it so fast around an existing wormhole (which according to string theory happens all the time at the most basic quantum level, just they get repaired in an equally quick time) so as to pull it apart due to the sheering forces, one way would be to take the limit of an infinite amount of light and spin it in a circle inside of a strong magnetic field.  The energy required for something like that would be on the order of all the energy put out by a star going super-nova over its many hundreds of years, compressed into a second, and for that energy to be sustained for as long as you wanted it open.

Nielk1

They are still reacting in real time, so it has SOMETHING to do with FTL since it is doing it.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Time isn't even real, well not in the sense that it is an actual present material in the universe, it is as real as a kilometre or mile.

How can time slow down if it doesn't exist?

I reckon that any speed is possible if you have enough thrust.

My BZ2 mods:

OvermindDL1

Quote from: Nielk1 on September 11, 2008, 07:55:17 PM
They are still reacting in real time, so it has SOMETHING to do with FTL since it is doing it.
No, they are not reacting, it is just that once you know one, you can know what the other is without needing to read it, if you did something to one of them, it will not effect the other, there is no transference of information, anything and everything that will affect them is transferred at the time they touched, never after that.  There is nothing happening FTL with this.  Thus far the *ONLY* particle that is rumored to go faster then light (String theory says it should exist, but have not been able to figure out a way to measure it yet) is the tachyon.  Just like normal things speed up infinitely close, but never reach the speed of light, tachyons can go infinitely slow to the speed of light, but can never decrease past its speed, it has to always remain faster.

Quote from: bigbadbogie on September 11, 2008, 08:55:20 PM
Time isn't even real, well not in the sense that it is an actual present material in the universe, it is as real as a kilometre or mile.

How can time slow down if it doesn't exist?

I reckon that any speed is possible if you have enough thrust.
So, very, wrong.  Take a good physics class and learn about spacetime.  Time is very much real and has a measurable span (roughly a quintillionth of a second, it was measured to its exact value about a year ago so the exact value is known, it was one of the fundamental constants, like an electron charge).  Time is also what defines the speed of light, and the reason the speed of light cannot go any faster is because, think of it like this, think of all of space as a 3d-grid, with every point being a quanta small (just like a photon is a quanta of light, or that smallest unit of time is a quanta of time, a quanta is the smallest possible energy state of *anything*), when a particle travels it cannot 'jump' over a quanta length, it has to pass through every possible quanta on its path, and if it sits in every possible quanta on its path for only the smallest unit of time, then that is the speed of light, anything that goes slower then light means that it sits in a certain quanta for more then one unit of time.

As for why the relative time of an object slows down, say you went in a ship and travelled infinitely close to the speed of light, time would 'stop' for you, the reason being is that all of the particles that make you and your ship up are already traveling one quanta length worth of space in one quanta length worth of time, they cannot go faster, hence there is no leeway to move, it is like being squished in between dimensions, your freedom of movement is restricted until you slow down, so technically time is still unchanging, but your particles are moving so fast through space that they cannot move through time, so slower things move 'faster' through time, and faster things move 'slower' through time.  Do note, all of this is relative, for example, if you have two space ships back-to-back, and each accellerated at max speed for, say, 20 years, and slowed down, reversed and went back to each other at the starting point, if you could look at the other person it looks like they are moving slower through time in relation to you, even assuming you could see them with no delay over the distance, the exact same effect happens if one ship stays still and the other goes out, because still or not is all relative, everything is still and everything is moving in some reference frame.  When they turn around they would see the other person speed up through time a drastic amount, and keep going faster until they reached each other again, thus their reference frames would match up again and they would be the ages they would think they should be.  The part that is really weird (but is proven everyday with our satellites for example) is that if one of those space ships started flying around in a big circle around the other ship at near light speed, because it stays the same distance away the whole time from the other ship, but is moving incredibly fast, it is still experiencing a massive slowdown of time in relation to the outside reference frames, because of that when it stops, if the ship was going infinitely close to the speed of light, then everything on board, people and all, would not have aged relative to the observer in the ship.  This was proven decades ago (actual tests) and it has real applications for normal life.  For example, the GPS satellites have atomic accuracy, but because they are moving so fast around the planet they are moving slightly slower through time, because of that the cesium radioactive decay of the atomic clock is still perfectly accurate on board the satellite, but in relation to earth it is moving slightly slower through time, enough to get off by a few seconds every day actually, if they did not account for that using mathematics based on the spacetime formulas by Einstein and his peers, the GPS would get off by miles a day, that is bad when you want a couple inches worth of accuracy, and you cannot just add a displacement because as it moves in different ways due to the pull of the sun and moon, that value is changing, so you need the math to compensate for it ahead of time.

As for speed, no; think about it, as something goes faster it also moves slower in time, because of that the ship gains mass (also streches, quite literally, say if you had a tunnel with a train going through it, and the train barely fit in the tunnel with both ends closed off, if the train tried to go through at near the speed of light and you closed both doors to the tunnel the exact instant the front of the train reached the front door, then the back of the train would be cut off by the back door, things literally stretch when moving fast), and when something gains mass it takes more power to push, meaning as something gets infinitely close to the speed of light then its mass gets infinitely close to infinity, meaning it would take an infinite amount of thrust to be able to push it, which just cannot happen.

You really need to get your physics knowledge to at least 20th century level (and out of 16th century level) if you wish to discuss stuff like this. :P

bigbadbogie

Sometimes I think that people are afraid to challenge physics because they have been conveniently prewritten by historical figures (Einstein). And they hesitate to challenge such a name.

It is entirely possible that they/we are looking in the wrong direction entirely and writing physics back to front.

The entire effect could be a mathematical illusion, as nobody has ever tested what actually happens when matter accelerates to the speed of light.

I'm not saying they are wrong (they could be 100% right) but it is possible.

Please tell me that I am ignorant for considering even for a moment that our messiah is wrong.

My BZ2 mods:

OvermindDL1

Einstein was the one that reroute it from the classical people of Newton and so forth.  Even Einstein was wrong in many areas, although his spacetime was right-on, he could not believe quantum mechanics was right, as put in his popular phrase "God does not play dice", he just could not believe that things could truly be random, he thought everything had to have a perfect form.  People challenge Einstein all the time, so no clue where you are coming with on that.

Regardless of things like String theory, many things have been absolutely proven, and I do differentiate when I state such things, like all I said about spacetime above has been proven.

And it is easy to test things going to the speed of light, you can use photon's, which naturally go at that speed, and there are many things we have accelerated near, heck, look in the other topic about the collider, they are bringing matter that has mass up near the speed of light all the time.

Remember science is based on proof, and when something is proven it cannot be disproven, it might be able to be seen in a different way (like how newton and einstein say gravity as a force or a field), but it is always correct.  Theories on the other hand are ways of perceiving the universe, they may not be correct, but thus far they fit all experimented data, when something pops up that they cannot explain, they are discarded, thus far String Theory is the leading one (there is one other popular one, but it still has a lacking of not including gravity in the equations, which is bad of course... but it does not require extra dimensions like string theory does).

Not a clue what messiah you speak of; Christ?

But yea, you have a vast misunderstanding about physics.  Physicists as a whole tend to 'get off' by disproving other physicists; there is a massive movement to try to get rid of anything wrong.  Generally, if they can find a way to disprove something, they will, and if they disprove something by someone famous, they get famous in exchange.