• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

well my new computer came...

Started by TheJamsh, September 12, 2008, 06:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

what OS you running 2sheds?

i use task manager and go through various stuff, i try to get rid of it but most starts back up again... i cant ever get it below 50 and to stay there without causing problems.

damn vista

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Devil

Try running msconfig via the Run dialog, then check out the Startup tab.  Be careful.
What box???

Raven

Even my vista only has 40 and thats bad (all that antivirus/spyware.. ugh)... dude what the hell have you got on it?
My XP has like, 16. Lol.

And yes, its a laptop, which means poor screen and laptops aren't really made for gaming. Unless its an XPS. Or a MacBookPro on bootcamp, bloody things fly xD

OvermindDL1

My computer has 163 processes running right now.  It usually has between 120 to 140 at startup, depending on what I let fully startup.  And yet the only time it slows down is when I compile something like my parser (which takes about 15 minutes eating about 4 gigs of ram thus far, which is where the slowdown comes from, the freaking virtual memory)...

If a Windows box is set up well, it runs well, it just takes a long time to get it to that 'well' status.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

technoid

Does your new Toshiba laptop have some sort of VGA-out for a secondary monitor?  You could probably use that and change the external monitor's freq to >60hz.  That is how I do it on my 5-year old laptop, i.e. I can change the refresh rate, but it's only for the alternate ext display.  The IGP I have onboard the laptop is an ATI 345M (RS200), circa 2003. Works great for when I want to play BZII on my projector at up to 480" (40 ft) diagonal screen (although it's more practical at ~100") and I don't want to see wavy lines if the external refresh is at 60hz. But I'll usually play BZII on the laptop LCD screen if nothing else.  LCD screens also have the minor annoyance of quick movement becoming fuzzy (ghosting) and input lag such as with mice control. Not sure how it is with newer notebook LCD's. As usual, YMMV, so test things out.  I might have some complaints about mine, but I'm not complaining very much since I got this laptop for free (actually 3 laptops for free).

TheJamsh

Yep it does have a VGA out.

The laptop was really oly bought so i could get access to a half-decent specced computer whenevcer i wanted to (rather than waiting untila point where only 1 of 6 people wanted to use our family computer)

Im going to connect the VGA out to my big external TV LCD in my room with a long cable, can play games from my bed then :). or i could whack it into my downstairs CRT type telly, if OM believes ill get a better picture.

doesnt have a PC in slot though, can i use VGA-scart or VGA to those three yellow/red/white ones? (actually itll be just yellow wont it?)

OvermindDL1

You get a better color pallete on a CRT computer monitor then an LCD monitor (tv or computer), but a CRT TV screen is also more limited in colors.  Computer CRT screens truly best everything else out in terms of quality (assuming you have even a half-decent one).

Plugging it into any form of normal tv will limit your screen size to 720x480 at best.  Even the cheapest computer monitors are vastly higher then that (and decent computer monitors, like mine, best even the highest of the HD TV screens).

TheJamsh

Ah... limiting it to 720x480 might be a bit poo, seeing as i usually play at 1440x900 or something massive...

I think my TV LCD is HD compatible, and laptop is HD compatible, but no idea if it will output as such.

OvermindDL1

HD is an utter crap marketing term and computers have been capable of much higher then the highest possible 'HD' resolution for a good 20+ years.  Even a 'crap' laptop video card should be able to put out well above the TV 'HD' resolution.  HD is just high quality to those who are used to the utter crap that is the normal television, but it is still utter crap compared to what computers have been capable of for such a long time.
Now depending on the game you may not be able to get playable framerate on a laptop video card, but it should still be capable of it regardless. :P