• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

well my new computer came...

Started by TheJamsh, September 12, 2008, 06:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

or laptop rather. but its a nice Toshiba one. i had my old toshiba for ten years and its still going strong.

question for anyone who uses ATI catalyst control centre with Vista.

HOW do i override the screen refresh rate? this computer is 2.4ghz Centrino Dual core, do i know i can get far higher than 60fps. i tried using the setting in the ATI CCC, but it didnt work.

The max refresh rate shown in the windows display dialog box is 60 hertz, which is crap. i want to force around 100-140. can that be done or not?

oh little helper, everytime i now use the ATI CCC with the override on, the theme changes to windows vista basic. tried doing that manually. still no luck.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

OvermindDL1

You have a laptop, meaning you have a cheap LCD screen, meaning it can *ONLY* support 60hz, if you set it to anything else your screen would turn black, hence why it does not let you.  Hook up a good CRT or higher end LCD to the VGA/DVI output and you can set it higher on that one.

Most decent monitor can at least all do 75hz, mine can do 200hz (any wonder why I still use a CRT instead of an LCD :P  CRT's also have greater color depth, most LCD's are limited to 6-bits per color where-as the computer outputs 8-bits of color information per color, CRT's can handle 8-bit fine, but basically no LCD under a grand can).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

Well, guess I will keep my 2 CRTs. I have a big desk at least.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

mrtwosheds

Why do you want to change the refresh rate anyway?
It will make very little difference to the game.

TheJamsh

because my frame rate can only be at 60 fps MAX if my screen refresh rate is 60 hertz. and i want it a lot higher than that.

ive got a fairly large telly in my bedroom i could hook it up to. dont know how ithe cardll handle it though, beiong a proper TV screen. and its still not CRT

OvermindDL1

Disabling VSync will let you exceed the monitors refresh rate, although there is not really any reason to do so except for 'boasting'...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

i have disabled it, in the ATI CCC and localprefs.ini still hitting 60fps max. occasionally itll tweak to 60.20 fps or something.

this is a 2.4ghz dual centrino proc with an ATI HD2600 card. i should be able to get way more FPS than this.

i have a feeling vista might be limiting it somehow... not too sure :S

mrtwosheds

You can see more than 60 frames per second?
The frame rate in BZ2 is pretty much determined by
1. what's happening in the game.
2. how efficiently your pc's processor can process it.
If you are having problems with frame rate, I would look to lightening the load on your processor.
The are several posts concerning duel processors around here somewhere.

If you are having problems with your frame rate while running your mod, then it is there you need to look. BZ2 is very sensitive to excessive amounts of sprites and polygons.

TheJamsh

well the frame rate drops with some xpls, but i know why that is. too many particles lol.

i was having the same issue on my desktop, until i set the refresh rate to 75 hertz and got 75 fps. again it could go higher, but wont exceed the screen refresh rate. dunno why.

its not just with my mod. its with all BZ2. in fact its LESS of a problem with my mod, because AIP's cause stuttering on both my PC's (only tiny, but noticeable if you look close) and yes. aipLogging is off.

i tried overriding the refresh rate in ATI CCC. didnt work.

i tried disbaling vSync in both ATI CCC and localize.ini. didnt work.

the desktop is only a 2.1 ghz dual core duo, and an nVIdia 7500 LE card. running vista premiuim.

the laptop is a 2.4ghz centrino dual core, an ATI Radeon HD 2600 card. again running vista premium.

the laptops HDD is also empty compared to the desktop, and has about 40-50 processes running, using 2-5% cpu most of the time.

the Dekstop HDD is half full, and has about60-70 processes running, using 10-20% of the CPU most of the time.

so basically, the laptop should be FAR better. its just getting the settings right.

mrtwosheds

Quoteand has about60-70 processes running
That's allot.
Only got 28 running on mine at the moment.

mrtwosheds

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
HijackThis is a nice utility for regaining control over your own computer from self important corporate software manufacturers who think they know far better than you do, what programs you want to run.

GENERAL MANSON*

Try increasing the hertz for your monitor. You may have to change size on your monitor panel after doing this.

Steeveeo

If you have vsync turned off in ATI CCC, but still peaking at 60, try toggling BZ2's vsync command.

IIRC:

vid.waitretrace

It's a toggle, like the cheats.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

VSMIT

Quote from: GENERAL MANSON* on September 14, 2008, 01:09:39 PM
Try increasing the hertz for your monitor. You may have to change size on your monitor panel after doing this.
Quote from: OvermindDL1 on September 12, 2008, 12:50:22 PM
You have a laptop, meaning you have a cheap LCD screen, meaning it can *ONLY* support 60hz, if you set it to anything else your screen would turn black, hence why it does not let you.  Hook up a good CRT or higher end LCD to the VGA/DVI output and you can set it higher on that one.

'Nuff said.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.