• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Between BMP and TGA...which is the better format to use for BZII?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, September 28, 2008, 05:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

Well if you need some sample code, just ask; perhaps some complex meta-template crap that even I hate? :P

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Raven

BNG Da BZ Fool

Can several different TGA's be applied to the model at the same time?

When I save an X model file now I export it directly to my BNG Assets folder under the addon folder in BZII along with the texture files, and as a result my models have a texture on them already when I convert them using Threed to make the XSI.

Before, I used to have to copy the textures to my addon folder otherwise my models always appeared bright white and untextured. I use the old Truespace X exporter to export the textures along with the model geometry from Truespace 7.6, and it seems to work very well. There's also an export setting to convert the textures from one format to another and another setting to resize it to the next closest 2^size which BZII requires. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

I believe I heard it has to render once per texture so you are increasing teh render time when using more than one texture. No issue on modern computers.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

Actually texture rendering is still the slowest of the rending parts of the computer due to the large amount of data that needs to be transferred.  It is *much* better to have a single larger texture that multiple unit types use then multiple smaller textures that each use or even each using more then one is just horrible (although a single large texture is still wasted if the units that use parts of it are never on screen at the same time...).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

BNG Da BZ Fool

I guess I need to get off my tail and learn how to unwrap properly so I can get away from using multiple texture files.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.