• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Site statistics on bzuniverse.com in the past year.

Started by Angstromicus, October 01, 2008, 02:49:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

http://siteanalytics.compete.com/Bzuniverse.com/

Unfortunately, this is just for one year. The greedy bastards at compete.com want you to pay money for more than a year's worth of data. But interesting nonetheless.

Feared_1

OvermindDL1

Those ranking sites are utter bunk.  You want to rank how a website does, dump its log into some statistical app to graph things in a pretty way, that is about the only reliable way.  For example, my site averages about 71k hits a month, average unique hits is about 7000, average visitors from using other link (else using a bookmark or typing in the url or something), all unique is about 1600 (meaning most either type a url in directly, or use a bookmark or so), of those unique visitors about 55 are bots, average bandwidth seems to range between 15 and 34 gigs a month, etc...  And I have a whole ton more information then that.  Where-as your above linked site essentially said my site does not exist.  So no, the data is not interesting, it is nowhere anywhere near complete.

EDIT:  I have no clue how they would get data anyway.  I see no way how they could have any information at all without something like the server logs, so why would someone be stupid enough to believe them anyway?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Angstromicus

Lol, that clears things up. I was wondering the same thing, too. I couldn't believe this site and x number of others were being monitored by them, albeit accurately.

GSH

I have no clue how they would get data anyway.

You missed their "help improve our statistics by installing some browser plugin that tracks where you go and uploads stats." As in, volunteer to give up privacy so that *they* (and only they) can get stats. There's already a bunch of other systems that do *exactly* the same thing, only better.

-- GSH

OvermindDL1

I saw that, but considering I had not even heard of them I do not see how they could have a reliable number of those installed.  You are *always* going to be missing out on a rather monstrous amount of data using such methods.

Le Jay

[Sooo.....let me guess.  Download that thing and you probably get a virus or spam?]

OvermindDL1

More probably they just watch what you do any probably work with a few spam companies for targeted advertising on specific sites, I doubt it would do actual popups or anything.

Le Jay

[So...no direct spam, just helping the spammers pick their targets.]  (groan)