• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Would you pay to play?

Started by AcneVulgaris, October 05, 2008, 05:03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

Quote from: AcneVulgaris on October 07, 2008, 12:29:09 PM
I was thinking of having just plain free areas, and and then ramping up the advertising as a person enters more areas, and offering the option of paying to get rid of the advertising.

I HATE advertising, but it looks like the only way I will end up making any money.

A logical conclusion. However, there is a second route of action:

Instead of putting ads in a Free to Play area on a full game, I'd reccomend making a demo, with maybe some ads to the full game (and sponsors) on it, then making the full game a one time payment (like a normal game). Gaming companies still make a ton of money that way.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

CivBase

Quote from: Steeveeo on October 07, 2008, 02:57:20 PM
A logical conclusion. However, there is a second route of action:

Instead of putting ads in a Free to Play area on a full game, I'd reccomend making a demo, with maybe some ads to the full game (and sponsors) on it, then making the full game a one time payment (like a normal game). Gaming companies still make a ton of money that way.
Yah, but just remember that he has to pay a constant fee for internet hosting, so if he doesn't get enough business or if he ever reaches a point in which people are no longer learning about the game, he won't get any revenue and will probably crash.
If it wasn't for that, I'd say that's the best rout.

AcneVulgaris

I don't want to charge anything up front, that'll be too much of a barrier....I'm after the monthly subscription fees to fund further development.  I'm building an asset distribution system into this so that it will be easy to constantly add things to it without upgrading the client code.  I'd push out a new client maybe twice a year, or when there were bug fixes.

My internet hosting is covered...I had to run a T1 to my house anyway to get broadband out here in the boonies, and I'm going to designing the networking so I can support enough clients on the T1 to make enough money to survive on.  At that point if the T1 gets swamped, I can look into getting more bandwidth out here or setting up a data center in town.

The idea is to be more service oriented and interactive...getting ideas from the users in forums, and setting up voting for features to determine which ideas get built.

Red Devil

Make SP free and MP pay/reward.
What box???

CivBase

I'm guessing pay by credit?  If only I had a card....

OvermindDL1

Just get those little Visa gift cards, that is how I pay for everything.  You can get them at like walmart or walgreens for a few dollars + what you want to put on it, and many banks also offer them for like $1 or free (like my bank).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

AcneVulgaris

I would probably be taking paypal too.  I'm also considering giving credit to people in exchange for assets.

OvermindDL1

I will never touch paypal again after they stole a little money from me...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

TheJamsh

im with overmind on that one. paypal is absolutely shocking.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AcneVulgaris

They're no more evil than the credit card companies.  I'd also accept checks delivered by carrier pigeon, if that floats your boat.

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

CivBase

Quote from: AcneVulgaris on October 11, 2008, 02:16:29 PM
They're no more evil than the credit card companies.  I'd also accept checks delivered by carrier pigeon, if that floats your boat.

*Figures the costs of buying a carrier pigeon against the costs of credit rates*
hmm.... at this rate, the pigeon is winning :lol:

AcneVulgaris

Maybe the pigeons aren't such a good idea...I have a lot of great big hawks around the house.

Steeveeo

Carrier pigeons....with LASERS strapped to their heads.

Yup, still cheaper. ;)

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

AcneVulgaris

When the red dot appears on your forehead, put the sammich down and back away.