• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

An attempt at starting "Useful Discussion"

Started by CmptrWz, October 12, 2008, 11:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CmptrWz

Since nobody else is coming up with anything of use, some attempt at a useful bit of discussion, especially as all the edits so far are basically in the user namespace.

How do people want to answer the following questions.

1 - Naming conventions - The main namespace has subpages enabled, and if desired other namespaces can be added. For example, would it be beneficial to have a "Mods" or "Modding" namespace? Note that you can limit a search by namespace, unlike a category.
2 - Which leads us to Categories - What kinds of things should be put in categories? What categories should be created? What categories should NEVER be created?
3 - Templates - What kinds of templates do we want? Perhaps we should have some of the templates that make thing easy to find, like pages that should probably be deleted or that need more content. On the other hand, templates may be good for subpages, such as when something has a 1.0, a 1.1, a 1.2, and a 1.3 version, and it would be beneficial to have a template to handle all of that linking. BTW, I can help make such a template that is page inspecific.

That should be enough for now.

Edit: You know what? Until some of this stuff is decided, no edit rights for anyone. Not even sysops.

Nielk1

On my wiki, pages like "Tank (ISDF)" cause errors when edited (the saves are still saved) because the parentheses convert to 4 digit numbers. Will your wiki have this issue, or will it be like Wikipedia and be fine? This would effect naming conventions.

Click on the image...

Axeminister

My first idea for front page contents box:
But above contents box should have a story of how it all started with Battlezone arcade game up to where it is now. There should be links in this paragragh to storylines for each mod also.

Contents
1. Patches(links to a page with seperate links for the different patches)
( a. 1.0 still some cd's at amazon
b. 1.1
c. 1.2
d. 1.3pb1
e. 1.3pb3
f. 1.3pb4a)
2. Mods(small explanation of what a mod is first and where latest mod manager 5 is located)(links to a page with seperate links for the mods)
( a. 1.0
b. 1.1
c. 1.2
d. 1.3pb1
e. 1.3pb3
f. 1.3pb4a)
3. Useful people(get their permission)
GSH - list specialties and a board for user posts they can check if they want to be helpful.
Ultraken - "  "
Natty bumppo "  "
commando "  "
Greenheart "  "
Lizard "  "
Steeveeo "  "
etc.
4. How to create multiple installs
create link to a board that talks about this for newer users that find our wiki.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

OvermindDL1

Perhaps "ISDF Tank" is a better name for it, since that is how it is generally referenced.

And yes, templates for versioning is one of the must-haves with a BZ(2) wiki.  The patches should also indicate to which BZ(2) they goto, like BZ_1.3 or BZ2_1.3 or something like that...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

CmptrWz

Parentheses do not appear to have problems on mine. What did you do to break yours?

Axeminister, that seems to belong in the news thread or whatever it was.

Also, do we really need individual pages for each unit, by race?

Nielk1

Mine has always had the issue.

You don't need a page per unit, its something I've done with my wiki as I plan to have so much ridiculous information in it in the end, to the point where one would never have to play bz or a mod and know everything about it.

Likely what you want is a page per:
Game
Patch
Mod
Maybe Race

but almost nothing else.

EDIT: Here is the error at work: http://www.bzcomplex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Space_Map_%2528Sol%2529

Maybe the htaccess rewrite addition of the WWW screws up with parenthesis. Some part of my site was forcefully killing the WWW, so maybe the WIKI was that part.

EDIT2: EUREKA! %25 must mean percent. Any fix you know of?

Click on the image...

CmptrWz

Disable magic quotes?

If you didn't notice, I have even removed the index.php. Everything shows up in the site root. No subdirectory for the various files either.

OvermindDL1

That is how I have the wiki I am running setup (not a BZ wiki, it is for a programming library).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

CmptrWz

As interesting as all of this is, it is off-topic.......

Back to things like Naming conventions, Namespaces, categories, templates, etc. :P

Nielk1

Yes.

"Battlezone The Red Odyssey"
"Battlezone Rise of the Black Dogs"
"Battlezone 2", or should we include "Combat Commander"?

What about BZ1? Do we say "Battlezone" or "Battlezone 1"?

Because of case issues "Battlezone The Red Odyssey" should have redirects:
"Battlezone the red odyssey"
and others.

Click on the image...

CmptrWz

The wiki WILL do a search for alternate cases when you try and load a page. We don't need infinite numbers of redirects because people can't specify the correct case. In fact, the search box does a case INSENSITIVE search when you go by page name by default, if the case you asked for does not exist.

In fact, I FORBID different-case redirects for a page for the above reason.

Nielk1

I really need to update my wiki, sometimes case causes major issues on mine. :roll:
Well:

"Battlezone 2", or should we include "Combat Commander"?
"Battlezone" or "Battlezone 1"?
"BZN64" redirecting to "Battlezone Rise of the Black Dogs"?

Click on the image...

Steeveeo

Allowing image uploads and/or cross-wiki image linking would definitely help the wiki, not hinder it.

Also, we could use a category page like this for a list of all known mods: http://www.bzcomplex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Mods

BTW, n1, could you put that link into the sidebar on BZC? I would but you never gave me sysops. :P

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Dataanti

This new wiki has me confused it is messing with my head and i would add stuff to it like DL locations but it wont let me do anything and the main page has these 3 links on it

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuration_settings

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:FAQ

https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/mediawiki-announce

they hav nothing to do with BZ2 and its being very VERY ererror fullness in my fire fox browser and in my normal internet browser its like if u made a .html file and only used codes like this

/h1 eg. /h1   or watever it is.

BASICLY its plain as can be. is it like this for anyelse