• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Lan Setup.

Started by † Trinity †, October 25, 2008, 10:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

† Trinity †

I have a friend asking how to set up BZ for a LAN. Apparently the obvious method is not working for himand  I haven't a clue as I only ever played online.

Along this same line...where can one find a guide to all the useful tips and tricks of setting up and running BZ?

Nielk1

I saw the instructions somewhere, but that site is gone now. You need to do the same thing to play Dark Reign on LAN. You have to install another Protocol. I think it was the following, but I suggest you get confirmation first:

Right click on "My Network Places" and choose "Properties", then select your connection, wireless or "Local Area Connection" are the likely names for the one you want to edit, and right click for "Properties". Click the "Install..." button, select "Protocol" and click "Add...", find "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol" and select OK.

I did this on XP, the install files where already on my HDD from the Windows install, hence it was in that list.

I am sure that is the right one since in DR it specifically says IPX when you toggle MP modes.

Click on the image...

† Trinity †

Good point, too.  Lots of older games used IPX/SPX for their network protocol, which isn't installed automatically anymore.  You have to do so manually as Nielk1 outlines.   You may also have to open or forward unusual ports in your firewall, and give the application permissions to talk to the Internet and act as a server.

Not like the good old days in 98, where it just worked.  (usually)  :evil:

-Av-

Nielk1

We need to get some simple, 1 post, locked stickies here that contain critical info like LAN setup or the server data.

I say locked to prevent the obligatory spam.

Click on the image...

Quote from: Dx on November 18, 2008, 10:57:24 AM
There's a copy of the old faq on my forum but it really needs gone over, bad links and the info needs updated.

It would be a great idea to have our old [Sticky] Tech Support Help FAQ, with more recent info that is..

Bort

Do you really have to set up IPX on XP? I have the thought that if you'd connect NIC cards to a hub it should just work without any extra setup or messing with protocol settings...true/possible?

Nielk1

Not sure. Protocol takes mere seconds to add.

Click on the image...