• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Will a walker without animation still work in the game?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, October 30, 2008, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

Cool N1 tanks. Ironically, I can do X animations with Truespace, but then I'd need to ask someone to convert them to XSI for me. Any volunteers? LOL, just kidding as I still struggle when trying to get animation stuff right. BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

I would of thought that the actual data in an .x animation would be very similar to that in an xsi, you could probably cutnpaste it across in notepad and adjust any small format differences.

BNG Da BZ Fool

I've tried it with the 2 versions produced by X2XSI and Threed. All I had to do to get them moving in 3DEX was to add SI_ to the XSI AnimationKey headings. BZII, can read the first object of an X file, but nothing after that as I've gotten them into the map editor minus any texture using an ODF file. It's a great big hassle though, and not really worth doing things that way.

I don't really have the time or resources to make animations where they're needed on models like walkers. I have managed to get several normally animated models like a service truck, turret, and scout working in the game, but they all function nicely without any animation; apparent BZII ignores and anim count entries in the ODF as I fully expected the game to crash upon loading my models in the map editor, but it didn't to my total surprise.

I have a good feeling that at least 90 % of the game units can be produced minus any animation that will work adequately in the game. Perhaps even more efficiently as animation must put some extra strain on the game engine to manipulate the moving parts on a typical animated model. Sorry to be so long winded, but this is a forum for modelers to discuss BZII related model making issues. BNG.   
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

You know...

If you name the parts the same in YOUR walker as they are in one of the STOCK walkers...

You can use the stock animation files for YOUR walker.

All an animation version of an XSI does is tell the MSH maker what parts rotate X amount, or move X amount, at each frame.  With a little care you can use the same animation file for multiple models and it works fine.

-Av-

BNG Da BZ Fool

Yes, I seem to remember you mentioned that some time back AV. Which of the XSI files should I use for my walker? The skel_file? I'd like to try something relatively simple, but don't really know where to begin. Tanks, BNG.

VSMIT

All except the skel file.  Take a look at the walker ODF.  The files listed under "Animations" are the ones you use.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.