• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Will a walker without animation still work in the game?

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, October 30, 2008, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

I've made several normally animated units work in the game minus the animation thingy of course. My service truck and a scout lack any animation but seem to perform without problems when placed in the map editor. Someone mentioned that nothing needs animation, so does that mean that a walker though a bit odd looking would also perform as well?

I guess I'm asking because some of us modelers don't really have the minimum modeling tools to get animations into the game otherwise, but have a desire to make what we can with the tools that we have. I use Truespace to model and while it supports doing animations it lacks a suitable XSI exporter to do animations for BZII.

I've figured out how to open 2 instances of Truespace: 1) To load COB converted XSI data pack models and a second instance to actually model my version from the parts list in the first instance. This allows me to get the parts naming thingy correct especially with the hp's and turret thingies. It would seem that extra things like hp_lights can be totally ignored in my version to simplify the overall model without screwing up the resulting model.

Parenting objects is basically just drag and dropping the individual objects in sub groups and then finally doing the same thing to all the groups so that everything that needs to be below another group is positioned where it needs to be in the model hierarchy to conform to the original model. I guess the key to getting things right seems to revolve around resetting the objects orientation to 0-0-0 which transforms rotated objects to the objects center again.

I'm going to attempt some non animated walker models just to see what results, but I was hoping for some feedback on what to try or avoid if possible to get a walker type into the game without crashing the game engine.

Should I delete the animation section in my walker ODF to avoid problems with the game engine trying to read invalid data? Tanks, BNG.     
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

mrtwosheds

I think a non animated walker will just look bad.
Bite the bullet BNG! using 3dex and notepad to create walking animations is not as difficult as it might look but it is time consuming.
They do not need to be complex.

Just 1 out of six thigh's walking...

Animation anim-thighm_r {
      {frm-thighm_r}
      SI_AnimationKey {
         0;
         8;
         1; 4; 1, 0, 0.0, 0.3;;,
         3; 4; 1, 0, -0.15, 0.15;;,
         6; 4; 1, 0, -0.3, 0.0;;,
         9; 4; 1, 0, -0.15, 0.0;;,
         12; 4; 1, 0, 0.15, 0.0;;,
         15; 4; 1, 0, 0.3, 0.0;;,
         18; 4; 1, 0, 0.15, 0.15;;,
         21; 4; 1, 0, 0.0, 0.3;;;

}
   }

Nielk1

I don't think walkers can work at all without animated foot object to cause it to move. Even if these 2 objects are 2 invisible cubes.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Yes. The walker only moves with the foot animation.

Try removing all the animation sections in the ISDF walker odf and see if it still works.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

BNG Da BZ Fool

I see a walker is like the one unit that minus any animation in basically a-no-go. Tanks guys for the suggestions and feedback. Guess I'll just focus on making as many other units as possible with my existing modeling tools. I don't really have the time or patience to make a walker the hard way. I may piddle around with the concept at work a bit just to see if I get any where with it, and try something like copying and pasting animation sections from an existing walker XSI using winmerge to my version of a walker. BNG.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Nielk1

When the next MRVP comes out I have a walking unit with super simple feet cubes. You could likely manage to use that for a walker with no legs.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

I still don't get why the hell you want a walker with no bloody legs? Just make a hovercraft for gods sake.  :-P

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on October 31, 2008, 03:23:04 PM
I still don't get why the hell you want a walker with no bloody legs? Just make a hovercraft for gods sake.  :-P

Your mod lacked walkers, i would not think he needs them. (not that im saying there is a problem with that)
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Nielk1

The QF had a walker, it kicked ass but was a mission only unit.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

It was way too powerful.

I could destroy a whole base with one before it ran out of ammo.

My BZ2 mods:

cheesepuffly

I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

TheJamsh

very last missions, they turn up.

and BBB, you could always make slightly less pwoerful ones for a recycler variant for QF?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

My BZ2 mods:

mrtwosheds

QuoteIt was way too powerful.

I could destroy a whole base with one before it ran out of ammo.
Have you never loaded up an isdf walker with plasma and pummel and levelled an entire base? its my favourite end game move :)

Quoteand try something like copying and pasting animation sections from an existing walker XSI using winmerge to my version of a walker. BNG.
Might work, probably need adjusting, the stock anims also have like 30 keyframe entrys which is actually allot more than you really need, its easier to use less like the 8 I used above.
You can make a good walk using small anims like that for each piece, the tricky bit is keeping the feet flat on the ground, the unit that anim came off has 6 spikey feet so I avoided that problem :)

bigbadbogie

Yeah. But these are AI controlled when they destroy an entire base.

My BZ2 mods: