• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The test: Is your monitor 8 bits per color channel?

Started by Angstromicus, November 05, 2008, 12:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angstromicus

Here's a quick test for everyone to see if your monitor is a true 8 bit per color channel (16.7 million colors) or a 6 bit per color channel monitor (262,144 colors) that probably uses dithering to fake 8 bit color.

8 bit color: Faint dark spots over a gray background.

6 bit color: Pitch black image.

Edit: sorry about no thumbnails, photobucket has changed since i used them and i can't find the thumbnail option :(.

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

squirrelof09

fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

CmptrWz

Bad test for me at work, as my work computer isn't set to display enough colors for a test like that to work.

May take a look at home, though.

VSMIT

I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Angstromicus

Say, what kind of monitors are you guys using? CRT, LCD?

It's hard to find an LCD these days that is a true 8 bit/channel without paying $$$$!

Acer x243w ($300): Fail

SyncMaster 305T+ ($1200 (ouch!)): Pass.

OvermindDL1

I have a CRT, and I see the spots fine, the spots are over a rather interesting gray 'webbing' kind of thing in the background, rather interesting looking...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

bigbadbogie

I have a huge flatscreen... any more info is beyond my current level of geekiness.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

CmptrWz

Both of my Samsung flatpanels at home show me the spots.

My CRT at work would most likely show me the spots too, but I don't run the color depth high enough for it.

My primary monitor is a SyncMaster 226BW, my secondary is a SyncMaster T220HD (technically a TV with DVI in).

Red Devil

What box???

Steeveeo

I dont see spots, but that may be attributed to my monitor being darker than it should. Turning up the gamma lets me see them.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

cheesepuffly

dell 21 inch um monitor. I see the grey.

This is probably the only good thing from Dell, got a hook up for EVERYTHING on it.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

TheJamsh

my LCD screen that probably costs around £100 quid is displaying that image fine, and yep i can see the spots.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

VSMIT

My Macbook Pro sees them just fine.  I haven't checked with a PC yet.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

CivBase

Pitch black :D
But my monitor came with my old 95 computer and is still working, so I concider it a good monitor.