• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Bz Servers

Started by Mr. Spock, November 09, 2008, 02:38:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Spock

I can't reply to No Servers thread anymore, so it would be nice if one of the admins/moderators could add this post to that thread or just a link from there here, to avoid confusion for the new players.

Bz recently got new server, BZF, which requires new "servers.dat".

The problem is, old server, 911, doesn't contain new server in its "servers.dat" available for download (the only link posted on "No Servers" thread), while BZF's "servers.dat" contains all servers.

Even though "servers.dat" updates automatically on Win98/Me/2K/XP, some reported that it doesn't on Vista, so you have to do it manually. Since we all moved to the new server (BZF), if auto update doesn't succeed, the one who updates "servers.dat" manually from 911 page might give up on Bz when seeing no one there.

*Note-after a complaint about the following link I've edited it to the Site that the Servers.Dat is hosted on, rather than to a forum about the file that caused the complaint.  -Av-*

Go Here for more information and links.  Until then, all should use "servers.dat" from here.

Thank you,

Mr. Spock

I think anyone looking for BZ Servers information will notice this thread, entitled "BZ Servers"...  wouldn't they?  No need to dig back into the "No Servers" thread...

This is the second time I've heard that servers.dat will update automatically, when I swear it doesn't in the stock version.  I know I had to get one manually under 98 for my install, which is totally stock btw..

Did I miss something?  Or is this a feature of the newer versions?  I tend to stick with the stock setup although I've tried 1.4L just to check it out.

The rest of this thread devolved into fighting, so I'm editing out
the extraneous bickering and leaving only those posts with actual
server info in them.     

I ABSOLUTELY hate having to do this.  I can't tell you how much,
or how disappointed I am that things became "They suck" back
and forth.  This is the internet, there's no such thing as 'proof' of
anything.  Screenshots can be altered, logs rewritten, and it's all
just a waste of time and pointless bickering.

I'm leaving this open again but be warned, this thread is subject
to serious chopping on my part, then closing if I'm forced to do
so.   Post only information that will help people keep their BZ1
servers list up to date, take all flames down to the OT board.

-Av-

Mr. Spock

Servers.dat updates automatically only if you see at least 1 server when selecting Multiplayer - Internet. You have to join that server and go back to servers selection. Then you will see 2nd server. After you visit it and go back, 3rd will appear...

To avoid that long process of updating (which sometimes fails), I suggest downloading of already updated "servers.dat".

Ah, thanks, I never knew that.  My MP playing was done 'back in the day' when Activision ran the server herd.  :)

Amazing to me that so many people have done so much to keep BZ1 running.  Very cool...

-Av-

Mr. Spock

http://battlezone1.freeforums.org/new-bz-server-is-up-battlezone1-net-t518.html

Someone heard about our problems and decided to give us a clean Bz server, with no banning of fair players, with no hacked BzE rooms, with no changing of default room, with no kicking players from the lobby etc.

He/she wants to stay anonymous, so you can't express your direct gratitude, but whatever you say there (on a given link) it will be read :P

Server's name is "battlezone1.net" and it's associated with www.battlezone1.net webpage. For now it offers only status page http://www.battlezone1.net/Battlezone_1.4.html and downloads section http://www.battlezone1.net/downloads/ (only new servers.dat in it ATM). In the near future it will host new Bz installer and other useful Bz things... Bz1 forum will move there too... We'll make a whole new site dedicated to Bz...

Server reboots every day at 11 am GMT 0, so keep that in mind when being on the server around that time. To be able to see it, download the latest servers.dat zip file and put it in your main Bz folder, overwriting old one.

See you there!

OvermindDL1

You know, if there is already a meta-server app out (a server that links to other servers), and a server app out, I could host one myself, and since I do not really ever play it anymore then there would be no worry about banning or what-not, and I could still link to all the other servers too.  If there is no app out then a good enough description of the communication format and I could create something that would be good enough quickly...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on March 20, 2009, 02:06:06 PM
You know, if there is already a meta-server app out (a server that links to other servers), and a server app out, I could host one myself, and since I do not really ever play it anymore then there would be no worry about banning or what-not, and I could still link to all the other servers too.  If there is no app out then a good enough description of the communication format and I could create something that would be good enough quickly...

Its a simple Anet (or is it Anet2) server.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

So where can these ANet servers be downloaded, and is the source available?

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey