• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Yet another dumb question...

Started by Darkplanet01, November 09, 2008, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lucky_foot

3D max isn't free and as VSMIT said, Gmax is a good choice also. I paid $600 dollars for my copy of 3D max 6.
Jonathan S.

BNG Da BZ Fool

If you want a decent free 3d modeler then give Truespace 7.6 a whirl. It's easy to learn and supports an X format that both 3DEX 1.5 and Threed can read easily. It was designed for peeps that don't have much experience making 3d stuff like BZII units and props. You can do X animations, but I haven't quite figured out how to convert them to BZII XSI files, so you'll be limited to making non animated stuff like props, tanks, scouts, rocket tanks, service trucks, assault tanks, scavengers, turrets, apc, aircraft, subs, and weapons like rockets, bombs, and other object derived weapons. I have used it to make dozens of 3d models. GMAX and Blender are okay, but both are pretty complex beasts and give most novice modelers headaches trying to learn them; I know cause I tried them both and settled on Truespace after months of aggravating frustration. Like both of the other modelers mentioned it's also free too. You can get it at  http://www.caligari.com/Products/trueSpace/tS75/brochure/intro.asp BNG

Update: BZII can also load the X model  format that TS 7.6 exports. When exporting the model file as X go in to the X export settings and change the coordinate system to the right handed system otherwise your models will appear backwards. Also, open the X model in notepad and edit out the extra characters that the TS 7.6 X exporter adds; if you don't remove them then your hp_whatever points are ignored by BZII and stuff like weapons won't appear let alone work on your models. I still need to figure out why it can't read the texture information part.  Any feedback would certainly help if possible.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on November 12, 2008, 10:56:36 AM
If you want a decent free 3d modeler then give Truespace 7.6 a whirl. It's easy to learn and supports an X format that both 3DEX 1.5 and Threed can read easily. It was designed for peeps that don't have much experience making 3d stuff like BZII units and props. You can do X animations, but I haven't quite figured out how to convert them to BZII XSI files, so you'll be limited to making non animated stuff like props, tanks, scouts, rocket tanks, service trucks, assault tanks, scavengers, turrets, apc, aircraft, subs, and weapons like rockets, bombs, and other object derived weapons. I have used it to make dozens of 3d models. GMAX and Blender are okay, but both are pretty complex beasts and give most novice modelers headaches trying to learn them; I know cause I tried them both and settled on Truespace after months of aggravating frustration. Like both of the other modelers mentioned it's also free too. You can get it at  http://www.caligari.com/Products/trueSpace/tS75/brochure/intro.asp BNG

Update: BZII can also load the X model  format that TS 7.6 exports. When exporting the model file as X go in to the X export settings and change the coordinate system to the right handed system otherwise your models will appear backwards. Also, open the X model in notepad and edit out the extra characters that the TS 7.6 X exporter adds; if you don't remove them then your hp_whatever points are ignored by BZII and stuff like weapons won't appear let alone work on your models. I still need to figure out why it can't read the texture information part.  Any feedback would certainly help if possible.
So Truespace 7.6 is the best free program for beginners? I'll try that then. I've already downloaded blender and gmax. Blender is VERY complicated, and I haven't really spent any time on gmax yet so I don't know about that. I'll check out TS 7.6.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Darkplanet01

Um... I've encountered a problem and am about to ask the stupidest question thus far. How do I rotate the perspective view (not the actual model) in gmax? I can't find any way to do it.

VSMIT

If memory serves, it would be ctrl-r, or there's a little button down in the bottom right corner of the console that has a circle with three axis lines going through it.  Those should allow you to rotate the view.  It was hard for me to find, too.  Don't worry about it.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: VSMIT on November 13, 2008, 10:27:49 PM
If memory serves, it would be ctrl-r, or there's a little button down in the bottom right corner of the console that has a circle with three axis lines going through it.  Those should allow you to rotate the view.  It was hard for me to find, too.  Don't worry about it.

VSMIT.
Thank you. You'd think the makers of gmax would make it easy to find.

Darkplanet01

Okay, I'm starting to get the hang of the simpler parts of gmax. My first model, though not fully completed, is looking very promising. One thing I'm wondering is how to do cockpits? Anyone able to help me there?

AHadley

I do know the cockpit has to be a separate model (with a hp_eyepoint, I think), which you then refer to in the ODF. All you need to do is place the eyepoint (let's say it's the dash below, the arrow shows which way it's facing) and create a cockpit frame in front of it (that's the bracket next to it)

-->
-)

Darkplanet01

Quote from: AHadley on November 14, 2008, 10:10:49 AM
I do know the cockpit has to be a separate model (with a hp_eyepoint, I think), which you then refer to in the ODF. All you need to do is place the eyepoint (let's say it's the dash below, the arrow shows which way it's facing) and create a cockpit frame in front of it (that's the bracket next to it)

-->
-)
Um... hp_eyepoint? I don't really get that. I'm afraid I haven't got the hang of gmax that much.

Darkplanet01

Just a few more questions concerning gmax.
Q1: If a model is made using more than one shape, is there something special you have to do to them so they'll all work in-game?
Q2: I've done something to the view and now when I click on Arc Rotate, instead of being able to rotate around my model, I'm like a camera on a fixed point - I can zoom in but when I rotate it has the appearance of the model orbitting me, instead of the other way around. Anyone know how to fix this?
Q3: Textures - can any picture, if it's the right size (which, if memory serves, is something around 256x256 pixels), be used to skin a model?

Warfreak

MY SPECIALTY!!!  :-D

Q1: Yes, you must add the extra parts to the mainmesh (whichever one ALL of them share some connection with, or a dummyroot) via the parent-child linking tool. The button is on the Upper left corner of the UI (user interface), you can make sure of button names by hovering your mouse over the button for a second or two. VSMIT can give more details.

Q2: This also happens in 3DS Max. Just press the "zoom extends" button on the far right corner of the UI. this will not only rezoom the window to fit the model in view, but will allow you to rotate like normal again.

Q3: Yes, any picture can be used that GMAX supports, but if oyu want that same texture to be used for BZ2, it must be a .png, .tga or a .bmp (the best quality being .tga)

VSMIT

Quote from: Darkplanet01 on November 14, 2008, 01:21:40 PM
Just a few more questions concerning gmax.
Q1: If a model is made using more than one shape, is there something special you have to do to them so they'll all work in-game?
Generally you will have one part that is called "body_main" or some such derivative, and everything should be in the hierarchy under that.  If you don't link them in the fashion that WF said, it won't work right when placed in-game.

QuoteQ2: I've done something to the view and now when I click on Arc Rotate, instead of being able to rotate around my model, I'm like a camera on a fixed point - I can zoom in but when I rotate it has the appearance of the model orbitting me, instead of the other way around. Anyone know how to fix this?
See WF's answer.

QuoteQ3: Textures - can any picture, if it's the right size (which, if memory serves, is something around 256x256 pixels), be used to skin a model?
I believe you can set what size the pic is using one of the UV modifiers.  It should work as long as it is square.  If it's not square, then it will be squished along the longer side.

One more thing.  If you're going to be using the Tempest MD3 exporter, the pivots for all of the meshes in a "scene" will be set to (0,0,0).  My advice would be to export to MD3, use Lithunwrap to convert it to OBJ, then import it into Blender, where you can reset the pivots for the meshes and export to the BZ2 XSI.

Any other questions?  BTW, these aren't dumb questions.  They're asking for help, and the only dumb question is the one not asked.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: VSMIT on November 14, 2008, 08:03:40 PM
Generally you will have one part that is called "body_main" or some such derivative, and everything should be in the hierarchy under that.  If you don't link them in the fashion that WF said, it won't work right when placed in-game.
See WF's answer.
I believe you can set what size the pic is using one of the UV modifiers.  It should work as long as it is square.  If it's not square, then it will be squished along the longer side.

One more thing.  If you're going to be using the Tempest MD3 exporter, the pivots for all of the meshes in a "scene" will be set to (0,0,0).  My advice would be to export to MD3, use Lithunwrap to convert it to OBJ, then import it into Blender, where you can reset the pivots for the meshes and export to the BZ2 XSI.

Any other questions?  BTW, these aren't dumb questions.  They're asking for help, and the only dumb question is the one not asked.

VSMIT.
Heh, yeah, good point. They aren't so much dumb questions. I haven't gotten up to exporting yet, and I was going to ask more questions concerning that when I reached that point, so it's kinda a good thing you explained that now. What exactly is Lithunwrap and what does OBJ stand for?

VSMIT

Lithunwrap is mostly a texturing program, but Mrtwosheds uses it as a modeling program.  It obviously works as such, but I have never tried using it that way.  OBJ is one of the model files that Lithunwrap exports to.  I have personally had issues exporting as an X file, and OBJ works right every time (for me, anyway).

VSMIT.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: VSMIT on November 14, 2008, 08:03:40 PM
See WF's answer.

VSMIT.
In response to your answer to question one, I may need some more details, like exactly what buttons to press. I've only just begun getting the hang of the create button and the modify button, I'm completely in the dark concerning the other buttons.