• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Yet another dumb question...

Started by Darkplanet01, November 09, 2008, 10:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkplanet01

I'm just wondering where the textures for the stock bz2 units are. Anyone able to help me?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Nielk1

data.pak, all the PIC files, you need the special PIC plugin for Photoshop to edit them. I think there are other ways to convert them.

Click on the image...

VSMIT

Quote from: Darkplanet01 on November 15, 2008, 10:19:22 PM
In response to your answer to question one, I may need some more details, like exactly what buttons to press. I've only just begun getting the hang of the create button and the modify button, I'm completely in the dark concerning the other buttons.
The hierarchy tool is the button with two objects connected by a chain.  Should be up near the select button.  To set the hierarchy, you use the tool and click-and-hold on the child and drag to the parent.  I don't have any screenshots for you at the moment.

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 15, 2008, 11:31:35 PM
data.pak, all the PIC files, you need the special PIC plugin for Photoshop to edit them. I think there are other ways to convert them.
XnView on BZScrap is a good tool for viewing and converting the textures.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

AHadley

I use Infranview to convert all my graphics. I can edit them in there, too, to create team skins of sorts.

Darkplanet01

Battlezone 2 has stuffed up on me. I'm afraid I may have fiddled about with the system little too much, and even though I've corrected what I did, it still isn't working properly. I can't host multi games, as the slots for vehicles, maps and the current map are blank, when I try to join one... it's the return of the ACCESS VIOLATION. MAN I HATE THOSE THINGS!!! But that's not all. I can't save, or load my saved games. I checked the folders and the games I had saved before the stuff-up are still there, fortunately. But I can't see them in-game, and I can't save.
And even worse, Battlezone 2 won't uninstall.

AHadley

Go under add/remove programs, if you haven't already. If it's not uninstallable from that list, or the uninstaller won't work, salvage what you want to keep from the BZII folder and then delete it and everything inside it. Now here comes the difficult bit. This involves registry editing, I'm afraid.

Go to the run box (start>run) and type in 'regedit' (no quotes).

Navigate to the following:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\Battlezone II

Right-click the Uninstall folder and export it to somewhere unless you make a mistake. I'd put it on your desktop for easy access.

Delete the original folder from the registry.

Now, close and re-open Add or Remove Programs (if it wasn't already open, open it now). Battlezone II should be removed from that list, and from your Program Files folder.

Reinstall BZ2 and patch to the appropriate level.

Hope that helps. If you went wrong somewhere, maybe deleted the wrong thing, just double-click the file you exported earlier and it will integrate itself back into the registry, replacing the stuff you deleted. Bear in mind that that is the ONLY way to replace something you lose in there, there is no 'undo' function. Most guys don't like messing with the registry in case they screw their PC up, but I don't mind it, cause I know what I'm doing :P

Anyhow, this is the only way I can think of if your uninstaller's broken. Just be careful.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: AHadley on November 17, 2008, 09:30:52 AM
Go under add/remove programs, if you haven't already. If it's not uninstallable from that list, or the uninstaller won't work, salvage what you want to keep from the BZII folder and then delete it and everything inside it. Now here comes the difficult bit. This involves registry editing, I'm afraid.

Go to the run box (start>run) and type in 'regedit' (no quotes).

Navigate to the following:

My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Uninstall\Battlezone II

Right-click the Uninstall folder and export it to somewhere unless you make a mistake. I'd put it on your desktop for easy access.

Delete the original folder from the registry.

Now, close and re-open Add or Remove Programs (if it wasn't already open, open it now). Battlezone II should be removed from that list, and from your Program Files folder.

Reinstall BZ2 and patch to the appropriate level.

Hope that helps. If you went wrong somewhere, maybe deleted the wrong thing, just double-click the file you exported earlier and it will integrate itself back into the registry, replacing the stuff you deleted. Bear in mind that that is the ONLY way to replace something you lose in there, there is no 'undo' function. Most guys don't like messing with the registry in case they screw their PC up, but I don't mind it, cause I know what I'm doing :P

Anyhow, this is the only way I can think of if your uninstaller's broken. Just be careful.

Ok, firstly, did you mean 'in case' when you said unless. And secondly, when you said delete the original folder from the registry, was that opening up the uninstall folder on the desktop, or from regedit in the run menu. I'm being very careful here because I know one mistake could stuff up the pc. One of my computers already needs to be completely re-set up, I don't want to make that two.

AHadley

Yes, I did mean in case.

Delete the Battlezone II folder in the registry, not the one you exported. That's just there for you to replace any files you might accidentally delete.

And yeah, be very careful.

Warfreak

you NEVER have to delete BZ2 from the registry. Hell, it is VERY simple to uninstall a bad copy of BZ2. Just salvage what you need and DELETE the folder.

Short, sweet and simple. Also avoids you having to reinstall an entire OS if you mess up the registry.

AHadley

If you don't delete the folder, you are left with its add/remove entry. If you're going to install to the same directory you might be OK, but I'm not too sure about that. I'm a neat freak when it comes to computers, see. :)

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

VSMIT

I believe the issue he was having was that the install was corrupted and wouldn't uninstall.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Warfreak

In which case the "trash it" method comes to mind (see my last post).  :-P

AHadley

I see what I had was quite an unusual situation.

I had deleted the directory, and whilst checking add/remove programs for something else, I found 'Battlezone - The Red Odyssey'. No boxes next to it, though - no option to uninstall. The registry method just removes the entry.

Darkplanet01

Quote from: VSMIT on November 16, 2008, 01:21:59 AM
The hierarchy tool is the button with two objects connected by a chain.  Should be up near the select button.  To set the hierarchy, you use the tool and click-and-hold on the child and drag to the parent.  I don't have any screenshots for you at the moment.
XnView on BZScrap is a good tool for viewing and converting the textures.

VSMIT.
So once I've clicked, held and dragged to the parent it's linked?