• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Where do I start? [DON'T PUT THINGS INTO PAK FILES YOU DIDN'T MAKE YOURSELF!]

Started by CivBase, November 12, 2008, 03:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkplanet01

What do you know? Someone like me! I started out with map editing and now I'm moving on to model making. Still checking out different programs though.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Feared_1

Yeah, map making is probably the easiest part of modding because all it takes is some imagination (and not math brains with fast computers) :P

Darkplanet01

Quote from: CivBase on November 12, 2008, 07:51:48 PM
Oh, I see.....
And I just realised that the letters NLHSDA match up with the words.
So, when I finish, how do I attach it as a mod? (preferably not over the actual rules)
For now I'll probably just be editing small things and seeing what changes.

So far, i've just extracted all of the files into a folder on My Docs.
I'm no more expert than you on this, CivBase, in fact in terms of the pak explorer I'm probably lower, but I'd assume that to make it work in game you would import it into the correct spot using pak explorer.
EDIT: I tried this myself, but it didn't work. So I repeat CivBase's question; how do I attach it as a mod?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Nielk1

DO NOT EDIT PACK FILES YOU DID NOT MAKE YOURSELF!

Use the addon folder to override stock files, you can add new folders in precedence over addon via bzone.cfg.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

or use a shortcut to Bz2edit, with a custom CFG set in the command line, and a new .pak file.

as NK1 said. DONT EDIT ORIGINAL PAK FILES

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

AHadley

NEVER do that. Let's all make that point heard now, shall we?  :lol:

Right. This is the important section of bzone.cfg:

// Setup base data
ConfigureStream("base")
{
// Look in "addon" first
AddDirRecurse("@rootdir\addon");

// Add detail specific data
                AddStream("texturesize");

// Look in "data" next
                AddPack("@rootdir\data.pak");
                AddPack("@rootdir\bumps.pak");
AddDirRecurse("@rootdir\data");

Addon is looked in first, so you put anything you want to override something in there. I'd file it, too, if I were you, so you don't confuse yourself.

The .pak files are looked in last. If you have a .pak file containing new content, that I sure hope you compiled yourself rather than editing a stock one, you can make it visible to the engine by adding the line:

AddPack("@rootdir\YOUR_PAK_NAME_HERE.pak");

to the data section of the .cfg.

You can also use MM5 to launch your mod separately with its .pak file - handy if you want to run a test. Just add the following:

RenameEX["bzone.cfg","YOUR_CFG.cfg","bzone.bkp]

And make your .cfg file refer to your .pak file

Nielk1

AddDirRecurse and AddPack can be placed in any order, so a pack file can be put at the top to be able to override even addon, though this is often not done.

Click on the image...

TheJamsh

in short, all entries will override entries below it

CivBase

My internet was dead yesterday, so I'm gunna make up for lost time.
Quote from: Feared_1 on November 13, 2008, 02:35:50 PM
Yeah, map making is probably the easiest part of modding because all it takes is some imagination (and not math brains with fast computers) :P
The map editor is pretty easy.... I'm just not very creative.

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 14, 2008, 07:09:56 AM
DO NOT EDIT PACK FILES YOU DID NOT MAKE YOURSELF!

Use the addon folder to override stock files, you can add new folders in precedence over addon via bzone.cfg.
Are you kiddding?  I'd never mess with the stuff that I'm currently running the game on.  Ummm.... I just copied all the files into a second folder before messing with them.  I know where the addon folder is... but how do I override the files?  Just name them the same thing?

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 14, 2008, 07:22:10 AM
or use a shortcut to Bz2edit, with a custom CFG set in the command line, and a new .pak file.

as NK1 said. DONT EDIT ORIGINAL PAK FILES
Yah.... what?

Quote from: AHadley on November 14, 2008, 10:19:06 AM
NEVER do that. Let's all make that point heard now, shall we?  :lol:

Right. This is the important section of bzone.cfg:

// Setup base data
ConfigureStream("base")
{
// Look in "addon" first

// Look in "data" next

Addon is looked in first, so you put anything you want to override something in there. I'd file it, too, if I were you, so you don't confuse yourself.

The .pak files are looked in last. If you have a .pak file containing new content, that I sure hope you compiled yourself rather than editing a stock one, you can make it visible to the engine by adding the line:

AddPack("@rootdir\YOUR_PAK_NAME_HERE.pak");

to the data section of the .cfg.

You can also use MM5 to launch your mod separately with its .pak file - handy if you want to run a test. Just add the following:

RenameEX["bzone.cfg","YOUR_CFG.cfg","bzone.bkp]

And make your .cfg file refer to your .pak file
So I add AddPack("@rootdir\YOUR_PAK_NAME_HERE.pak"); where?  And what's an MM5? And where do I add RenameEX["bzone.cfg","YOUR_CFG.cfg","bzone.bkp]?  :?

Quote from: Nielk1 on November 14, 2008, 10:55:51 AM
AddDirRecurse and AddPack can be placed in any order, so a pack file can be put at the top to be able to override even addon, though this is often not done.
Yah.... what?

Quote from: TheJamsh on November 14, 2008, 04:14:49 PM
in short, all entries will override entries below it
Now this makes sence.  Just one thing, how do I make sure it's on top and overrides the correct file?

VSMIT

Quote from: CivBase on November 14, 2008, 05:00:52 PM
Are you kiddding?  I'd never mess with the stuff that I'm currently running the game on.  Ummm.... I just copied all the files into a second folder before messing with them.  I know where the addon folder is... but how do I override the files?  Just name them the same thing?
To override the files in the data.pak or patch13.pak, all you need to do is have the files that are to be used in the addon folder and named the same as their original counterparts.  For example: if you wanted to use a new mesh for the Sabre, all you would have to do is build an XSI named "ivtank.xsi" and place it in the addon folder.

QuoteYah.... what?
What he means is: "Don't edit the original pak files (i.e.: data.pak, patch13.pak, etc.).  Doing so can damage the game and cause you to have bad assets in multiplayer, even if you're not using your mod.

QuoteSo I add AddPack("@rootdir\YOUR_PAK_NAME_HERE.pak"); where?  And what's an MM5? And where do I add RenameEX["bzone.cfg","YOUR_CFG.cfg","bzone.bkp]?  :?
If you made a mod using a pak file instead of a folder, then you would add the line in bzone.cfg, above the commented out "Look in 'addon' first" line, but in-line with it.  I.e.:     Line 1
    Line 2 is not in-line with Line 1.
     Line 3 is in-line with Line 1.

MM5 is an acronym for the utility Mod Manager 5, which was written by CmptrWz.  It allows for the running of different mods without having to make custom executables or making multiple shortcuts.
As for the RenameEX command, I believe that's for MM5, which you will likely not be using at this point.

QuoteYah.... what?
You can use the add directory/pak lines to override what goes into addon.  I.e.:
// Setup base data
ConfigureStream("base")
{

Placing "AddDirRecurse" here would allow you to use a mod-only folder that would override even the addon folder.  If you had that
                "ivtank.xsi" in addon, but you wanted still a different one, you could put the new "ivtank.xsi" in here and that file would override
                both the original and the one in the addon folder.

// Look in "addon" first

Placing "AddDirRecurse" here would allow you to make a folder that would override the pak files, but not the addon folder.

// Look in "data" next
Know that you can replace "AddDirRecurse" with "AddPack" if you were using pak files instead of discrete folders.

QuoteNow this makes sence.  Just one thing, how do I make sure it's on top and overrides the correct file?
See my previous example.  Note that it will not override a specific file.  If the new file exists, it will override the original.  Otherwise, the engine will use the original.  It's all graphic: a line above another will have higher priority.

If any of this didn't make sense, let me know so I can clarify.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

CivBase

So that's how I override files.  What if I make a completely new one?  How do I make sure the files are in the right place?  Or does it matter so long as I have them and they connect to eachther withing the files?

VSMIT

If you just have a new one, you can just put it in addon and it will work, as long as it's done right.

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

CivBase

So, can you make a negative attack?  Like a healing weapon?

TheJamsh

yep. and that can be used for many tricks.

CivBase