• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

They've locked on to my tricorder!

Started by Avatar, November 13, 2008, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OvermindDL1

As stated, if your school/work/whatever blocks things and has the computers locked down enough to prevent setting up any new port-hosted apps (like vpn), a real basic proxy script works fine, just put it on a webserver that is accessable, or on a little usb drive (if available) or just type it in, short enough:
function FindProxyForURL(url, host)
{
if (shExpMatch(url, "http://someWebsiteYouDoNotWantProxied_LikeAnInternalMailServerOrWhatnot/*"))
  return "DIRECT";
return "PROXY <YOURPROXYIP>:<YOURPROXYPORT>";
}

A little googling will get you the full capabilties, but that is the basic bit that will let you get around anything, and no, I am not giving you the IP/port to my private proxy I setup, set one up yourself (there is only like a million and a half proxy server programs out there, janaserver is a good free one).

But yea, I cannot even setup a standard windows vpn, no openvpn, nothing can create ports down in the <2048 range, etc...  Although I got around near everything, I like to keep up appearences.  I still find it funny I have to go around their things to be able to do my job though...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

squirrelof09

Quote from: AHadley on November 14, 2008, 10:30:28 AM
You'd be surprised at the amount of stuff we get blocked at my school. They blocked Google once. Big mistake. The IT guys got complaints left, right and centre. Anything they deem to have 'no educational value' has been utterly blocked. Though I never use the net at school for anything other than research and checking on my emails. I've never tried to get on to BZ2MD or BZU.

My trade school has wireless home networks all around the building and they are all unsecured. I bring my psp :).

and some computers we have in the lab have wireless cards.. Since this is a computer class, we have ways to get around school blocks, connecting to other networks :). Every other computer in the entire lauderdale county is logged onto a novell server, and smartfiter is the blocking hardware
fight till death our forums -> http://www.forums.bzfiend.com/index.php?

I still don't get this...

Our network is entirely internal.  They allow external links through 15 proxy servers.  I can't reach ANY outside computer without going through one of those 15 unless the outside computer hooks to our network through a VPN account.

So...  how would any script work?  You can't reach any outside computer.  You can only reach those that effectively make themselves part of the network.

-Av-

CmptrWz

You have your home computer VPN in using software that bypasses the routing of all traffic through the VPN. You then connect to your home computer over the previously established VPN link and get to the internet via it.

So it's a VPN that's not limited to the tunnel to the host?  Interesting...  seems like that's sortof against the whole idea of a VPN...  never occurred to me that there might be such a thing.  Still, I guess I'm not the first or only person to run into this sort of thing.

I'd like to know more but in my particular case I think the best solution is to just remove myself from their control completely... :)

-Av-

CmptrWz

VPNs have two basic modes.

1 - Routing mode, where traffic to the remote system is dealt with while leaving everything else.

2 - Forced Tunnel mode, where ALL traffic is forced over the VPN.

1 is the original. 2 was introduced for "security" reasons, to help ensure a multitude of things. 2 is implemented with a "remove the default route and add in the VPN" and in some cases "make all the other network interfaces 'vanish' so they can't be used" on top of it.

Open source stuff can bypass the rules that make 2 work, turning a network that requires the full tunnel into one that just adds another piece of the net for you to talk to.

Interesting...  thanks.  I always thought VPN a bit nuts security-wise...  with no way to make multiple connections.  Sortof turns your broadband back into a single phone line running one connection... 

Turns out it's nothing personal with me, it's as if they're going through logs blocking anything not work-related that anyone's gone to.  Several dozen sites have 'dropped off the radar' now.  Funny, you can still get to the sports stuff but not the other hobby sites (lots of shopping, cigars and guns are blocked now).

I (and my cohorts) are scanning the building for wifi signals but it's a big, old, concrete/steel building and so far blocking the wifi we find when checking outside.   Lol, we may have to run an antenna and network of our own.   :)   

Crazy world...

-Av-

OvermindDL1

A good powerful directional antennae, and a window. :)

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

AHadley

Nielk1

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on November 18, 2008, 08:57:33 AM
A good powerful directional antennae, and a window. :)

You can go miles if you use the right parabolic antennas and aim them at each other.

Click on the image...

Evil thoughts abound here...

New direction!  Warm up those brain cells, cgi skills, and HTML codes...

I can get to any web site 'out there' that 'THEY' haven't blocked specifically.

So...

What would it take to create a web app that would serve me pages under another web address? 

For instance, I can't get to www.bzuniverse.com, but I could go to www.mypage.athome.com.

What would it take to host something on my home computer that would take www.bzuniverse.com and hand it to me at work as www.mypage.athome.com?  Maybe something that would do so dynamically based on what I ask it for?  For example, I ask for www.mypage.athome.com/www.bzuniverse.com and it gives me www.bzuniverse.com as that?

I hope I explained that correctly... basically something that I can have hand off other pages, since there'd be quite a few I'd like to make available for people at work.  This would let them surf their favorite sites without being blocked...  maybe only for awhile, but from what I hear we're dumping IT completely within 2 years in favor of a 'help desk' in India and HP techs onsite when needed.  I just need to hold out that long... hehe...

-Av-

Nielk1

Soooooooo, a web based proxy?

Hundreds of those...

Click on the image...

Well, for example you used to be able to go to ASK.COM, search for a page, and it gave it to you in a frame.  That was enough to get around however they were filtering out specific web pages at the time.

Doesn't work now.

So, whatever it would be would have to change the whole naming of the various pages and links...

Are there such things as that?  If so, name a few?

-Av-

Red Devil

Well, be careful.  They could can you for bypassing corporate network security.
What box???

Not if it's just a page out in the world...  but that IS the main reason I wouldn't do so via VPN to my home machine.  As long as I stay out of 'our' network they can't say a thing.

Besides, the only people ever fired that I saw were those grabbed in a drug bust.  Every other one, including some who've stolen, have ended up back in service either through Union intervention or legal action.   Sure, they end up a part-timer at a small office, but to me that'd be a reward, not a punishment.

*sigh*

-Av-