• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

They've locked on to my tricorder!

Started by Avatar, November 13, 2008, 06:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

The thing with proxies is that your proxy requests are still readable by any decent corporate proxy system, so they can still see your request for 'bzuniverse.com'. The trick here is as what we mentioned earlier, SSH. If you can setup a small linux box at home, you can install a proxy on it and than access it via SSH. Since your SSH session is 'encrypted', the corporate proxy will not be able to see the content of your traffic.

SSH and Squid - How to
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Zero Angel

It just occurred to me that setting up an SSH proxy requires a spare computer, runing linux. I wonder if tor would work, problem here is that it might not if the people who have developed the corporate network have thought of the idea and developed defenses towards it. -- Its much more difficult for them to do so if you use my solution and set up an SSH to work off of the HTTPS port, but requires you to have a spare linux computer, or for your primary PC to run linux (which mine did up until a couple of months ago, when I upgraded it to be a gaming PC).
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

OvermindDL1

Just setup a virtual linux server in VMWare (Server edition is free) then.  Nice and easy.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Red Devil

You don't have to be accessing/using their network to get canned.  All they have to say is that you're bypassing it.
What box???

I'm not worried about being fired as long as I don't break any 'real' rules, such as misuse my VPN account to connect directly to my home computer.  That could be monitored, or at the very least noticed if traffic spiked considerably.  Besides that part of the point of my little exercise is to think outside the box without poking real holes in the box.  I'd never do anything that would compromise our network security such as use VPN software that isn't secure.  It's interesting to know about, but I'd never actually use it.

So, thinking about the box outsides...

Makes me wonder how I'd mirror certain sites and offer them back up as another site name, preferably with password access before anything is sent out.  So, to read the boards I'd hit something like "www.MyOfficeDepot.com\login.jsp" (just an example, basically something that looked harmless and business-y) :)  which would ask for a username and password, which when entered would give me a mirror of the boards... 

Still, I'm thinking the best thing is still a laptop with wi-fi...  :)   Or, if you can't think your way outside the box maybe you need a different box...   lol...

-Av-

Red Devil

Even so, with everyone running around looking for ways to cut costs, probably not worth it.
What box???