• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Constructor/builder traction

Started by Zero Angel, November 25, 2008, 02:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

I've noticed in a lot of games that builders tend to get stuck trying to climb inclines of about 40 degrees. While this may not seem bad, a lot of maps have hills that have a 40 degree incline somewhere (they are not uniform in their slope), this includes some of the 4-way maps (the one with all the loose scrap in the middle is a good example of this). Builders have a far worse time with getting stuck than constructors do.

I think builder traction should be increased to allow it to traverse up to 60 degree inclines. This should allow them to traverse 'normal' slopes and still prevent them from building on top of hills which are not designed to be built upon (note: in 1.2, turrets could not traverse tall inclines greater than 60 degrees, and it did a fine job of keeping them off of hills). AFAIK: I think the greatest allowed terrain slope in BZ2 is somewhere near 80 degrees.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

OvermindDL1

The theoretical max incline in BZ2 would be getting really close to 90, but not quite reaching it (like 89.99999999999999).  I can do the actual math if you want, just a simple calculation (90 degree angle base, the angle theta is what you are calculating, the short side will be 1, the far side will be 65535, simple calculation from there, you will be getting *really* close to 90 though).

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Zero Angel

An incline of 89.9999 would be so vertical that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference with your eye. If I were to take flat terrain and then put the sharpest possible cliff using the terrain painting tool within BZ2, the slope is definitely noticeable. Very steep, but still noticeable.

I'd wager its somewhere between 85 and 89 degrees.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

bigbadbogie

What if the sloped terrain is over 10000m high?
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Zero Angel

the slope degree is still the same. It just takes up a larger width to compensate
{bac}Zero Angel

Zero Angel

On a regular sized map, if the slope was a billion meters high, then it would likely take up the whole width of the map. (the map would be nothing but a huge ~89 degree slope)
{bac}Zero Angel

OvermindDL1

The lowest possible point on a map is 0 (most try to stay 1000 above it due to some rendering and logic glitches as I recall), the highest possible value is 65535 (I do not think I have ever seen a map above a difference of like 3000, so this is a whole ton of a difference).  And it is possible to have a single square up at that height, it does not need to fill up the map or anything, it would be such a sharp angle that it would look 90 degrees, a wall...

EDIT:  Use the ODL1Winter app and make a 16-bit grayscale png image that is all perfect black (0), and have one pixel, say in the center or wherever, and set it to pure white (65535), then import that as the terrain using ODL1Winter, then open the editor on that terrain....

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...

Zero Angel

You're right. The slope is very very close to 90 degrees when using that height. Using a height of 65535, the less than perfect incline is only very very mildly perceptible (but only because of aliasing)
{bac}Zero Angel

TheJamsh

i agree. although it does add a certain strategic element to the game.

in my view, builders should be sent out with some support via AIP's when in instant/MPI games, as they are easy pickings for a even a scout squad. a couple of scouts would do, or a tank, or a titan :P

i do think their traction should shoot up though, and the overall power of them. they seem to be very inneffiecient units. on some maps (like canyons) i occasioanlly move sections of my base to the two flat regions on either side of the base, but to get there, you have to traverse up a steep slope, or a rocky canyon, builders and constructors REALLY stuggle. in fact even scavengers struggle

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Devil

Crigs don't have traction.  They are really hovercraft with a walking animation and good brakes is all.  To get them to climb hills better, just increase their thrust.
What box???

mrtwosheds

I think it is probably the pathing that makes life difficult for them, if you send one up a flat steep slope, like the walls in river, they go up it, if it is more variable they tend to wander and not get anywhere.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Feared_1

Try going into the editor height mode and paint a hole at -65535, and in the hole a block of terrain at 65535. THAT'S interesting.

Steeveeo

The editor only lets me paint to -3000 <-> 3000...how would I do extreme heights like that?

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

Don't move the slider bar, just type in the number.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com