• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Awww you guys are gonna hate me for this, but.

Started by dntknwhw2b, November 25, 2008, 03:24:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dntknwhw2b

I had a major screw up. And had to re-install everything (Once again.) But this time I knew it was my fault. I saved most everything but had to reinstall many programs. One of them being BZ2. I know that I have asked about this and so has many others. I have even done some searching here and cold not find the topic for a correct install procedure. So point it out to me and I will print it out this time. Sorry to ask once again.

P.S. Anyone here know why a video card would pop its capacitors? This will be the second time it has happened. This morning at about 5 am. I was awoke with a very loud pop! From my PC. (Well at first I didn't know what the hell it was.) So I got up and watched some TV. and went to look at my email. I had a screen for about 20 minuets. And then nothing. I was running two EVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256mb in SLI mode. I thought , I've been here before. I opened my box and took out the video cards and lo and behold one had capacitors blown wide open. (I'm now running on just one.) Got my RMA today. They will still replace it. (But how many times?) I have been told surge will do it. I don't know. Any ideas?

Axeminister

Are you using at least the required power supply for those video cards?

Install procedure:
install cd, then install patch 1.3pb3, then install all seven G66 mappacks.
patch and G66 found here:

http://www.bzcomplex.com/wiki/index.php?title=Battlezone_2_1.3pb3_Install_Guide

Next step, join Windy and I in a game of g66.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

dntknwhw2b

Ok give me time to get it done and I will be looking for you
All 7 packs wow. Ok. BRB

dntknwhw2b

OK! Gonna do the install thing and be right back. Do you Skype?

dntknwhw2b

I looked at the version that I have installed now and it tells me that I have V. 1.3.4.75 installed is this the right one?

dntknwhw2b

ok I did it
now to see if anyone is playing online.

Nielk1

Note that my install guide has you install in a different directory for a different patch.

I myself have 1 for 1.2, 1 for 1.3pb3, and 1 for 1.3pb4a.

Click on the image...

Hurricane

Zero Angel

Quote from: dntknwhw2b on November 25, 2008, 03:24:01 PM
I had a major screw up. And had to re-install everything (Once again.) But this time I knew it was my fault. I saved most everything but had to reinstall many programs. One of them being BZ2. I know that I have asked about this and so has many others. I have even done some searching here and cold not find the topic for a correct install procedure. So point it out to me and I will print it out this time. Sorry to ask once again.

P.S. Anyone here know why a video card would pop its capacitors? This will be the second time it has happened. This morning at about 5 am. I was awoke with a very loud pop! From my PC. (Well at first I didn't know what the hell it was.) So I got up and watched some TV. and went to look at my email. I had a screen for about 20 minuets. And then nothing. I was running two EVGA GeForce 7600 GT 256mb in SLI mode. I thought , I've been here before. I opened my box and took out the video cards and lo and behold one had capacitors blown wide open. (I'm now running on just one.) Got my RMA today. They will still replace it. (But how many times?) I have been told surge will do it. I don't know. Any ideas?
Its probably something with your power setup. A surge will do it, and so will a faulty power supply (or even faulty motherboard).

First of all, make sure:

1) Your power supply is of decent to high quality and has the wattage you need. A cheap power supply is a terrible way to save money if your doing SLI in your rig.
2) Your computer is plugged into a surge protector, do not confuse these with a normal power bar which looks almost identical, -- If your powerbar provides surge protection, you'll know because it will say 'surge protection' or something similar on it, or it will have a special light informing you that surge protection is working (do not confuse this with the 'on' light on non-surge protected power bars which also have lights and switches). Surge protectors are fairly cheap to buy, and even a low to medium grade surge protector will help you out.
3) Do some research, look up your PSU or motherboard on Newegg, for example, to determine if this is a common problem with either one.
4) Get your videocard RMA'd (ie: return it) -- the fault of it blowing the second time might be yours (due to inproper protection) but with luck you will be able to get a third one. Find the root of the problem and fix it before doing the SLI thing again.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

OvermindDL1

Allow me to also repeat what he said, with more emphasis.

If you skimp on anything on your computer, make sure it is not the PSU.  A cheap PSU can cause so many issues compared to a good one.  Generally if you spent less then $90 on a PSU, it is probably not good.  A PSU is one thing you want to be very good.

For example, most PSUs, if they receive a surge from the main power current will happily propagate that into the computer.  If it is a powerful surge it will blow things out of the PSU, *while* also still propagating the surge into the computer (and if the surge is powerful enough to damage the PSU itself, imagine what it will do to all the sensitive electrical components on a circuit board).  My PSU (a good $140 Enermax one), if it receives a big surge (which it has before), the PSU may blow up, but it cuts the circuit instantly, no power propagates through to the computer (and I am SO THANKFUL I got this PSU when such a thing happened a year ago).

Other not-so-catastrophic issues a cheap PSU can cause are:
* Current Variance - An AC circuit is rarely exactly 60hz, and if you are on a bad power grid it could be as off as 58 or 62hz, sometimes more, and although it will still run with it, it creates an offset of power on the different rails that slowly degrade over time, make a catastrophic failure higher.  Good PSU's have a cleaning circuit that clean up that line noise before the conversion.
* Heat dissipation - Heat warps things, and a few parts in a PSU get *really* hot due to the AC power, cheap PSUs have a tendency to skimp on heat dissipation so things can start popping off over time (causing either a sudden loss of power, or in one case I heard, passing the AC to the computer directly).
* Too Low Power - In terms of rated power, there are generally two kinds of PSUs, the ones where the rated power is the 'peak max', meaning it can give that power for an instant, like on computer boot-up, but can only sustain a power level roughly 80% of the rated max, and others (like mine) where the rated power is the minimum guaranteed power it can provide, with peak power ratings being a good deal higher.
* Few other things, but I am too tired to think of them, going to sleep now...  Just do not skimp on a good PSU...

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...