• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

What's so cool about battlezone?

Started by CivBase, November 28, 2008, 02:22:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CivBase

So, why do you guys continue to play it after all these years?
What makes the game so good?

Nielk1

Story (as an extension of BZ1, hence, still waits for BZC), Modability

Click on the image...

Darkplanet01

Quote from: CivBase on November 28, 2008, 02:22:00 PM
What makes the game so good? Well, the outstanding graphics for it's time (I mean, it was made in 1999), the incredible cross between Real Time Strategy and First-Person Shooter, the modablility, and just the overall awesomeness.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

bigbadbogie

It was the first game that I ever sat down and finished.

Best gameplay of any game ever created.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Quote from: CivBase on November 28, 2008, 02:22:00 PM

So, what game are you thinking of making that you want all of these opinions?   :)

Or, are you a psychiatric teacher, doctor, or student and therefore interested in what makes us tick?  (or tock, some of us tock more than tick...)  :evil:

Not that either would slow us down from spilling our guts, as BZ is the thing we like to post about the most or we wouldn't be hanging around here.   

Now, to answer the question:

I can sit down at HALO and still slightly enjoy running rampant all over the AI even in 'insane' mode.  Yes, they occasionally kill me and yes, I do things like run through an entire level using only the pistol, or only in 'stealth' mode (sneak attacks, hit them from behind), to make it challenging... but even then I'm still a God to the AI and they stand no chance.  I get a slight thrill from this, but not much.

And, I've only played HALO for a few years.

I can sit down at BZ and play a mission for the hundreth time (literally, not kidding here) after ten years of playing, modding, and writing about the game and still feel a sense of awe at driving around in a biometal tank fighting Russkies on the moon, discovering Relics from an ancient, long dead race on Venus, and encountering the semi-sentient always-deadly Furies on Titan.

That sense of awe never goes away (hope to GOD it doesn't while I'm still vertical) and is the magic I keep talking about.

And it's got nothing to do with graphics, or gameplay (well, maybe a little at the cool intereface that's never been matched IMHO), but rather with the sum of the whole being more than the parts.

Love it...

-Av-

CivBase

Quote from: AvatarSo, what game are you thinking of making that you want all of these opinions?   :)
I have a ton of online friends who think the game is crap and wont even look at it.  I'm trying to show them otherwise.
Quote from: AvatarOr, are you a psychiatric teacher, doctor, or student and therefore interested in what makes us tick?  (or tock, some of us tock more than tick...)  :evil:
Maybe.....
Quote from: AvatarI can sit down at HALO and still slightly enjoy running rampant all over the AI even in 'insane' mode.  Yes, they occasionally kill me and yes, I do things like run through an entire level using only the pistol, or only in 'stealth' mode (sneak attacks, hit them from behind), to make it challenging... but even then I'm still a God to the AI and they stand no chance.  I get a slight thrill from this, but not much.

And, I've only played HALO for a few years.

I can sit down at BZ and play a mission for the hundreth time (literally, not kidding here) after ten years of playing, modding, and writing about the game and still feel a sense of awe at driving around in a biometal tank fighting Russkies on the moon, discovering Relics from an ancient, long dead race on Venus, and encountering the semi-sentient always-deadly Furies on Titan.

That sense of awe never goes away (hope to GOD it doesn't while I'm still vertical) and is the magic I keep talking about.

And it's got nothing to do with graphics, or gameplay (well, maybe a little at the cool intereface that's never been matched IMHO), but rather with the sum of the whole being more than the parts.
Well put.
Now I feel as though I need to finish the campaign on BZ2 and do the sov campaign on BZ1... :lol:

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

TheJamsh

modability, friendly (ish) community, public beta patches. without them i probably wouldnt have stayed too long.

gameplay, storyline, compatibility, general awesomeness

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Axeminister

Every time I play the single player I love the graphics, the control of the units, the futuristic battles. There is no other game that immerses the player in battle like this one. I have so many games you'd get ridiculously bored if I listed them, I know video  games. I'm a first person shooter fanatic, my brother bought me Call of Duty one year and he said he'd never buy me another game because I beat it in 48hrs. Battlezone 1 and II both have more than just first person shooter gameplay, it gives you elements of RTS gameplay and action gameplay all put together like no other game ever has.
 I finally got a decent internet connection after about four years of having played the bz2 missions many, many times. When I did I quickly learned of G66, the attraction there is that no game is ever the same. The computer might attact with 6 maulers and 6 sentries, or maybe 6 warriors and 6 dragoon, or maybe Gorgons and sentries, or 5 Fury tanks at the same time as 2 Furies drop out of the sky and hit you hard directly on the Recycler, and many more, like appearing behind your base even though it doesn't appear to have a trail back there. I love the freakin' hell out of it and can't get enough, and am very lucky that my wife loves to play right along with me.  
There is no knowledge that is not power.

AHadley

That'd be Windy, then?

I love G66, too. I just got back from a Chill II match, ended up in a stalemate.

Axeminister

Yes, Windy is my wife, that's her online nickname of course.
There is no knowledge that is not power.

technoid

I still play BZII (and BZI) for the storyline (or at least the story's fantastical setting), the gameplay hybridity (fps+rts) and that sense of 'epic-ness' its large playing field offers.  Due to RL, I don't play many games and the last game that gave me that 'sense of awe' and immersion (graphically, in addition to story) was Halflife 1.  And the fact that I can sit on my ass for an hour or so to play BZII is a nice perk.

mrtwosheds

Before the invention of the computer and computer games, there were just games, New ones were invented all the time, few survived, You know the ones that did, chess, draughts, monopoly etc etc. Just making the box and pieces look really good was not enough, it was not even important...The GAME was what mattered.
BZ is a game and has a GAME. This cannot be said for allot of what fills the shelves of PC game stores, just nice boxes and pieces...generally all you need to be a winner is to be younger or faster than your opponent.
I am not young, my hands are damaged by rsi, but I can still kick teenage butt in BZ!  :-D

Dataanti

its the first game iv ever seen, herd of, played

BaD

When the wife watches her soaps and "survivor" I like to sneak up and kick into bz or bzII. You can become immensed in the game, focussing on the missions, the game doesn't give you time to worry about bills, price of gas or who you should vote for...it's almost like meditation. A great get away for me. Just got high speed myself, and if I ever figure out how to play online I figure it should be quite the experience. My 7 year old has been sitting on my lap for years, and usually takes over the controls, he loves the game too! 

Long live BattleZone!!