• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

4x4 Tractors in BZ2

Started by Warfreak, December 10, 2008, 04:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warfreak

I KNOW it is very possible, as Boogie has done it for QF Mod and I have seen MANY other examples of.

HOWEVER, when I attempt to constuct said setup, the treads go invisible ingame as they would in the ingame .xsi viewer in previous versions.

How would i go about fixing this and are there any specifics to creating this particular setup? Thanks a TON in advance.

VSMIT

Make the two right treads one object and do the same with the two on the left?

VSMIT.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Warfreak

Yep, looked at every refrence I could. From first sight it looks like a solid setup.

Using 3DS Max 7 if that helps any.

TheJamsh

i think GBD knows a lot about this issue too...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

General BlackDragon

AFAIK, if the treads are setup right, and named right, and the pieces for both sides are all ONE piece, they should work.

Like steeveeo mentioned over on BZ2MD, I can't tell whats wrong without having a look at the actual model myself. So many possibilities...

*****General BlackDragon*****

BNG Da BZ Fool

I made several such 4x4 units. As mentioned already make the first rim object tread_l and wheel object tractor_l__h. Then copy them for the second set. Space them accordingly and then use the object union tool to make them  into the two Assemblies by gluing them together. The tractor thingy goes under the tread object. The axle part can be a simple cube stretched between the left and right wheel thingies. Don't add volume to the tractor/wheel object as the lower part of it will appear underground in the map editor appearing somewhat like a flat tire. For some strange reason it needs to be even with the tread thingy. Also, remember that it'll look different ingame as the game engine uses this part to work the shock absorbers of the unit. I used the ISDF rocket tank ODF and changed the rockets into a twin gun setup. You can also adjust the ODF settings to make it a really fast assault unit; kind of like a lite rat patrol 4x4 hummer looking thing.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

Warfreak

Wow... why is it that the engine hates working with multi/object materials even if the tread itself only uses one of them total. (meaning the entire object used only one of the 3 sub-materials in the material)

Nielk1

WF, in MAX, you should have no 'multimaterials'. Just single materials. They don't export to XSI correctly, or do, but not in a way understood by BZ2.

Click on the image...

OvermindDL1

This old XSI format has no concept of sub materials.  However, it does support any number of materials per frame, I am not even sure BZ2 has a real limit, but every material does double the rendering time of the object, so you want to restrict it if at all possible.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script that OvermindDL1 did manually since Greasemonkey does not work in Firefox 3.1 yet...