• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Why Walkers?

Started by Avatar, December 29, 2008, 04:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout

Yes it would seem japan has a real hard on for Mecha.

If you ever go to a Japanese themed image board, that's one of the categories, with Gundam this Gundam that.

Its the anime's like the ones you've mentioned (other than big o) that have designs that resemble some sort of functionality.

Anyone here remotely interested in anything aforementioned should see Appleseed, Appleseed2, Vexile..

they're all 3d CGI like final fantasy spirites within but they're all heavily based on mecha.

PWRWarTG

Lol. I could stop laughing when it almost fell.

That guy should of kicked him. Just wait untill it becomes self aware :P.

It's legs are so life like.

IceWendigo

Imo Walkers are not plausibly appropriate for Main Battle units but there are situations (in sci-fi settings) where Small humanoid walkers(manipulator arms) and tall multilegged(tripod-quad-6) would make some sense;

General purpose Support vehicle:
walker with arms and hands that can switch modular weapons(made for mecha, like in Heavy Gear) or Tools, and perform field base operations such as lifting cargo, base assembly manipulations, etc

the main battle is over, you are left with an insurgency expercted to be using light weapon abush, sniper and IEDs.
- In this case a humanoid robot vehicle can replace troops to avoid snipers(check point) and is easier for the population to relate to (the robot can gesture with hand for car to stop/ go left) and can perform actions a typical vehicle cant easily do open doors, remove debris, place fence, inspect a trunk.
- A very tall walker(WotW Tripod, HL strider, Quad) could make patrols with its high vantage point, and could conceivably survive an IED with resilient and replacable legs (a leg or two might be blown but the relatively high core/torso might more easily survive than a wheeled/tracked vehicle at point blank range from the detonation) assuming the torso/head is built to survive the fall(and any occupants have belts/airbags etc, unlike typical tanks with their hard metal interior in which a minor fall can be deadly for its occupants).
In a riot-ish situation, where you dont want to crush or kill people, a tall walker with tentacles or arms, can more easily move over a crowd to pick a specific agitator or rescue a person, without exposing troops(in addition to the psycological intimidation effect).

Urban Guerrila Warfare:
A BattleArmor or nimble smaller mech/HeavyGear with arms can use urban terrain to hide more easily than other types of vehicles. You can enter a building and can use the arms and hands to move/tear out obstacles and pull the mecha out if debris obstruct its movement.

I cant find myself to justify huge armless 2 legged walkers, imo its small humanoid with arms or multi-legged(3-6) patroling walkers(small to huge). :wink:

Nielk1

If all other justification fails, just remember how a walker can go up steps but a car has a ton of trouble.

Click on the image...

I've just thought of a new category, which would be walkers made by races who, well, just never thought of wheels or treads...  and never developed flyers or hoverers.

Seriously, a race like the Swarm would have walkers because they're biological, and nobody's seen biological wheels or treads... but pretty much every living mammal/reptile/insect has legs.

Another race might have something looking like a giant squid, because they're an ocean-going tentacled race and never though of wheels or treads... 

Yet another might have something like a hovering ball with tons of appendages, because they're like the Daleks and don't have capable bodies of their own.  In their case 'walker' would simply be a more utilitarian body used as a spaceship/suit.

We humans are SO human-centric...  :)

-Av-

Nielk1

The MP Swarm pilot is awesome...

Click on the image...

Never seen it...  post a pic?

-Av-

Nielk1

A little blue but I am rushing out the door.

The thing jumps very high, runs very fast, has a very fast machine gun like mucus sprayer, and a web shooter sand bag like thing for deploy that makes it crouch really low to the ground and end up with its legs kind'a like the swarm constructor.

Click on the image...

Darkplanet01

Another reason walkers would be great is for manouevrability. In tight spot a walker will be able to manouvre (darn I hate that word) much better.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and the world laughs harder.
Check out my site - www.freewebs.com/darkplanet01

Red Devil

In BF 2142, the walkers are very well done.  Very good animation, plus they have boost ability, where you can walk faster for short periods.
What box???

Spawn

This may have more to do with the concept of "lets make a gigantic version of myself to fight other gigantic versions of other people with lightsabers because things are more awesome that way" and less to do with the "lets make a cheap effective weapon" viewpoint.

TheJamsh

wheres the rather awesome looking 4 legged walker we were all looking at a month or two ago? i thought Avatar posted it but i might be wrong

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Anyone remember this from YEARS ago?

I wonder if it was ever finished.

Click on the image...

AHadley

mrtwosheds

Looks like one of those great models made by someone who does not do UV mapping or skins. Shame.