• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

.efw Files

Started by CivBase, February 23, 2009, 08:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CivBase

Okay, this has happened several times now.  I find a program that I want and I go to download it, but when I open the download it wants to open as an .efw file.

Now, I have never heard of this type of file, but I've been told it's something like a zip file, but altered thanks to my CA Security program.  However, I have been unable to unzip it with WinRAR and it has no default application to open with.

Any idea on how I can work with these files?

Nielk1

http://filext.com/file-extension/EFW

It says it doesn't rename all files, only ones it deems dangerous.
Perhaps your file has a virus?
Perhaps this is not something legal and you should stop (assuming the virus, those things don't go in legit files)?

Click on the image...

CivBase

Well, it does it with almost every other thing I download, even those without viruses that are legal.  Is there a way to turn it back into a zip file that I can use?

TheJamsh

it does say to use 7-zip. have you tried that?

maybe disable youre security program while you download it too...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

You rename the files as suggested on the page I linked?

Click on the image...

AHadley

I would assume it's just an extension change. Copy the file somewhere, then change its file extension. Go to tools>folder options in Windows Explorer and there's an option that says 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Make sure you've unchecked that first.

CivBase

I tried renaming it to a .zip, but it didn't work.  WinRAR still didn't recognize it.  What is 7-zip?

EDIT: I forgot to rename it to an .exe, so I'll try that now.

EDIT AGAIN: Yay!  The .exe works!  Thanks for the help.

Nielk1

The site gives information on what format gets what name, so refer to that next time to know what format for it to become.

Glad it is working for you! :-D

Click on the image...