• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Pimping my newest game...

Started by AcneVulgaris, March 01, 2009, 05:07:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcneVulgaris

...Snowball Fight!

Pelt children with compacted ice crystals, and hear them cry out in pain and dismay!

Boggle at artwork created by RocketmanX!

Thrill to sound effects and dialog by Tank!

For iPhone or iPod Touch.

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306442295&mt=8

It's a buck, but I have some freebie codes.  PM me if you'd like one.

CivBase

Steeveeo

Quote from: CivBase on March 01, 2009, 05:29:58 PM
*doesn't have an iPhone/Touch* :cry:
^this, but a little less sad about it.

Any chance for a flash version?

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

AcneVulgaris

It uses the accelerometer to aim, so I can't make a web player....sorry.

An iPod Touch is a very cool thing to have though :)  I was kind of meh about them until I had to get one to do a job...now I'm totally smitten with the thing.

Commando

I have a 3G iPhone which is nice.  It has its quirks, but overall it is a good phone.

OvermindDL1

The iPhone is a piece of crap, to put it lightly.  Its centralized application database is the only plus for it in my opinion.

Now take my phone.  More accurate accelerometer than the iPhone.  Has more apps then the iPhone (although at the rate the iPhone store is advancing, that may not be the case much longer, and the apps for my phone are much more widespread, but tend to be a lot more useful as well).  Higher quality screen (even my phone has a low quality screen for phones of its class, 640x480, where new phones of its type are generally 800x600 at minimum, or higher, the iPhone screen is 480x320).  My phone is also easy to program for and distribute the programs (It is a standard Windows Mobile 6.1 phone, the computer has a full emulator, debugging, etc... support).  I have four web browsers on my phone (one will at least always work on all sites, even if I have to fall back down to the crap IE).  The install base of Windows Mobile phones is a great deal larger then iPhones as well (which makes me question why you would make it for the smaller market at all).  Well, I could go on for quite some time about how poor the iPhone is in comparison.

So, any chance of making it for a decent phone instead of the iPhone?  I am always up for getting apps that people I know have made.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Spawn

TheJamsh

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

cheesepuffly

Id get a touch, but you gotta pay for a firmware upgrade. Besides, i gots my PSP 3000 and thats good enough for me.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

OvermindDL1

I have a Windows Mobile 6.1 phone (many phones do run Windows Mobile, it has the largest market of a phone OS that is actually capable of advanced things, and it is vastly more powerful then the iPhone's OS, and WM has a larger market then the iPhone's OS).  To be specific, my phone is the "HTC Touch Pro", slightly modded.

AcneVulgaris

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on March 27, 2009, 04:21:40 PM
The iPhone is a piece of crap, to put it lightly.  Its centralized application database is the only plus for it in my opinion.

The on board 3d chip doesn't hurt.  For a game dev, it's heaven, and about twice as powerful as the first computer I ran bz2 on.  I'm working on a game now that runs a 3d car with independent suspension for all 4 wheels and quite a bit of other physics going on, heavy particle effects and multiple lights, on a 30 acre map.  Runs really well. 

The other phones might have a little better hardware, but they have nothing like the dev support and user base that the iphone has.  Apple is going to own this market.

(sees frownie lines in OM's forehad at the mention of anything good associated with Apple)

TheJamsh

I see future death through superior knowledge :lol:

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

dazza9075

Ah the Touch Pro, good phone, ive got its brother the Touch HD, thing is with both of these devices, apart from being better in almost everyway than the Iphone, it has serious graphics issues, the hardware is there to knock the socks of the Iphone in that dept too but without optimised drivers, we're lucky to get an HD film playing on it let alone decent games. but since im getting off topic, you should make this game for WM devices, dont lock it to a set resolution tho, that will keep us all happy

AcneVulgaris

The problem with the WM devices is there is little hardware consistency.  I don't have the resources to test every wierdo platform somebody lashes WM to.  With the apple stuff, I can test on my iPod and know that it will run on every phone and iPod out there.  If I were writing database apps, WM would be under consideration, but for games it's just not worth the trouble.

Then there's the legendary cruft and bloat that comes with anything from Microsoft.  I want to make games, not fight a broken OS.

I'm not convinced of the utility of running hd on a  tiny little screen, either.  I could definitely get into a better 3d chipset or DSP, but if that only comes on the ubergeek $700 phone, it doesn't do me any good.  I'm not trying to show the world I have the biggest geek peener... I'm trying to make money.  I'm making games, not tech demos.

OvermindDL1

Yea, it did need new drivers.  I have hacked drivers from a phone with the same 3d accel chip (ATI for noet) and stuck it in my phone ROM.  In a little 3d benchmark it went from 3fps to 61fps.  No graphical issues anymore.  :P

And I like Apple, and the consistency of the iPhone is useful, however, just like console crap, it became out of date rather quickly.  :P

But yea, WM as normal is a bit laggy at places, but heavy registry hacking and some new drivers fixed that, never a slowdown anymore, 525mhz of computing power.  :P

But yea, 640x480 on my phone is wonderful, cannot even see the pixels, cannot say that about the iPhone (which looks freakishly pixely by comparison, a friend has one).  My phone is no where near top of the line either.