• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Super long startup is bugging me

Started by Zero Angel, April 04, 2009, 06:15:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

No, it's not rates. It's "how much since last time." It can't ever be negative. For example, consider this case:

Time 0: 50Kb read
Time 1: 50Kb read
Time 2: 100Kb read
Time 3: 100Kb read

That's the raw amount read, and would show up in the I/O Read Bytes column. But, the delta column would look like this:

Time 0: 0
Time 1: 0
Time 2: 50Kb read
Time 3: 0

As I said, it's how much has changed in the absolute number since it last displayed the count. Most apps that are just sitting there have 0 for I/O delta read/writes. Apps that are hitting your disk have values over 0.

-- GSH

sabrebattletank

How long have you had the user account for? It might be easier just to delete the user and create another one -- depending on how you have your files set up and such. On my brother's lappy, he just painlessly makes a new user every couple months.

EDIT: spelling.

Nielk1

Quote from: sabrebattletank on April 06, 2009, 05:09:16 PM
How long have you had the use account for? It might be easier just to delete the user and create another one -- depending on how you have your files set up and such. On my brother's lappy, he just painlessly makes a new user every couple months.

WHY? Its fairly easy to manage your user to keep it clean and tidy.

Click on the image...

sabrebattletank

for precisely this reason: you get things like fun startup times and jaunx.

Sonic

If you don't figure out what it is in your user account causing the issue, you are likely doomed to repeat. And the issue could still be in the global startup routines which would not be solved by creating a new user/profile.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

AHadley

Quote from: sabrebattletank on April 06, 2009, 05:09:16 PM
How long have you had the user account for? It might be easier just to delete the user and create another one -- depending on how you have your files set up and such. On my brother's lappy, he just painlessly makes a new user every couple months.

EDIT: spelling.

I have tried that... it takes AGES and I would have to do it for all four users.

Red Devil

Do you use BZLognLaunch?  I find that when I have big log, it takes a long time to move it.
What box???

sabrebattletank

Quote from: Sonic on April 06, 2009, 08:48:01 PM
If you don't figure out what it is in your user account causing the issue, you are likely doomed to repeat. And the issue could still be in the global startup routines which would not be solved by creating a new user/profile.

True -- unless its something you did once and then forgot about, never to do again.

TheJamsh

i seem to develop one problem with windos platforms of any kind after a few months, and that is an svchost.exe process hogging all my cpu time for about half-an-hour.

i recently defragged my Laptop harddisk. i wonder if itll help much at next bootup...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

sabrebattletank

i seem to get this mysterious "explorer.exe" task and "system idle process" taking up all my jaunx...

hmmmm...