• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Some issues for debate (UPDATED)

Started by cheesepuffly, March 14, 2009, 12:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarleTomato

QuotePutting people into coma's would remove and silence them.

killing them doesn't?

I agree the law is not always right. Guilty people can become innocent by laws being changed or new methods of determining evidence. The thing is, the death penalty is irreversible, period. At least inducing a coma introduces a chance of revival.

Red Devil

We could put them into pods and use them as batteries...
What box???

cheesepuffly

Quote from: mrtwosheds on March 14, 2009, 04:03:55 PM
Amusing that the treatment of animals and prisoners should be discussed in the same thread. Sudden death is just fine for the innocent as long as we benefit from it...

I said multiple issues, ok? Not one topic.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Warfreak

no RD, we aren't robots that forgot about solar power :P

cheesepuffly

Quote from: Warfreak on March 14, 2009, 06:45:21 PM
no RD, we aren't robots that forgot about solar power :P

Gah, dont tell him the plans, now we gots to deactivate you.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Axeminister

Beginning of universe.

I watched President Obama's speech the other day on bringing our kids up to speed with the other countries around the world and I like the effort he is putting into this. One of the things he said was that we we're going to put some of the old "stale" debates behind us and push forward without cluttering our kids minds with things that aren't going to help them in the business world so as to help insure the future is prepared to maintain the economy once we have corrected it. I am sure one of the things he was talking about was the evolution/creation debate. I would like to see this topic deleted from school agenda because it does not  promote good education practices. Kids have no need to be talking of this. Instead they should have more education on things that matter in the real world. Instead of things that only cause questions to occur where there are no answers, which in turn cause kids to drop out of school thinking they've learned everything there is to know since the teacher can't answer their questions on the topic that has been brought forth. I would rather see these kids grow up, sitting in their living rooms and their children ask them how the world was created, and them say "it doesn't matter, we're here now, fill your mind with topics that matter".
There is no knowledge that is not power.

mrtwosheds

The issue is really just one of weather or not some people will be allowed to suppress the knowledge and education available to others, I cannot recall anyone demanding that the religions desist from teaching their scriptures in their churches, the fact that they have been permitted to effect the teaching of science in schools is scandalous and damages the education of children.
Learning about how the world may have been created is the sort of subject that may inspire children to become interested in science and go on to discover truly useful things.

It would be a good idea to add Human psychology  to the cericulum so they can learn about the devious power seeking motivations of those who wish to teach fairy stories instead of science.

cheesepuffly

I think the beginning of the world should be one of those "When your older" but, if you have been raised in a christian home you already know from birth.

Thank you for using "May have been" wouldnt care if you didnt though.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Red Devil

If you go back t the manuscripts, you would see that the original meaning in Genesis was that the world was "overthrown" and not "created".  In other words, the Earth has existed for many, many billions of years and there have been many Earth "ages", replete with dinosaurs, footprints-in-stone, etc.

To simplify:

1. Lucifer - a beautiful creation of God - became jealous and vain and started a revolution in heaven amongst the angels when he was told to worship another creation of God's called "Man" and was booted out along with his angelic followers (now called demons).

2. Lucifer - "the serpent of old' - convinced Eve to partake of the 'Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil', i.e., had sex with Lucifer.  (no mention of apples in the Bible...)

3. Eve had sex with Adam  and bore Able (seed of Adam) and bore Cain (seed of Lucifer).

4. Redemption from sin by God offering His only Son as a blood sacrifice so mankind could obtain  - by choice - salvation.

5. We find ourselves here.

BTW, if you ever find yourself standing by the bedside of a terminally ill or injured loved one or find yourself in a foxhole, I *guarantee* you'll find yourself on your knees fervently praying to the God you now so vehemently shun.
What box???

bigbadbogie

QuoteBTW, if you ever find yourself standing by the bedside of a terminally ill or injured loved one or find yourself in a foxhole, I *guarantee* you'll find yourself on your knees fervently praying to the God you now so vehemently shun.

That is exactly the point. People believe in god because they are extremely scared of the possibility that he doesn't exist and wouldn't be the salvation they so desperately want for either themselves, or their friends and family.

One might almost call it cowardly.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

cheesepuffly

Quote from: bigbadbogie on March 15, 2009, 11:59:59 PM
That is exactly the point. People believe in god because they are extremely scared of the possibility that he doesn't exist and wouldn't be the salvation they so desperately want for either themselves, or their friends and family.

One might almost call it cowardly.

And your not sacred? Not being sarcastic or anything.

I have known this from birth, i know what the future holds.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

sabrebattletank

Quote from: Red Devil on March 15, 2009, 11:42:59 PM

2. Lucifer - "the serpent of old' - convinced Eve to partake of the 'Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil', i.e., had sex with Lucifer.  (no mention of apples in the Bible...)

3. Eve had sex with Adam  and bore Able (seed of Adam) and bore Cain (seed of Lucifer).

My impression was that it wasn't apples that they ate, but quinces, since apples was a mistranslation from whatever the word was (the romance languages keep it, in Spanish it's membrillo, the English word that comes from it is marmelade, but we've lost the original meaning) in the Bible.

Wait though -- Remember, Eve didn't just "partake of the 'Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil' by herself, she saw that it was good and gave some to Adam. So, by extension of that interpretation, Adam also had sex with Lucifer.

ScarleTomato

Not to offend RD but where did you get this information from about eve having sex with lucifer? No apples mentioned, but is fruit not mentioned? And doesn't it say that God created this tree? If there was no 'thing' of life then what do these manuscripts describe God creating. I don't claim to be able to read the actual language, but without some empirical evidence this seems like a pretty shallow interpretation.

I fully understand that the bible certainly cant be taken verbatim, especially a translation of it, but it kinda seems like a stretch.

Edit:
If you're referring to this Divine Principle thing, (first thing I came across on a google search) then yeah, i have a pretty hard time believing that.

mrtwosheds

QuoteBTW, if you ever find yourself standing by the bedside of a terminally ill or injured loved one or find yourself in a foxhole, I *guarantee* you'll find yourself on your knees fervently praying to the God you now so vehemently shun.
This only happens to people who have been conditioned to think and behave that way.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: mrtwosheds on March 16, 2009, 12:39:07 PM
This only happens to people who have been conditioned to think and behave that way.

Indeed
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!