• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Useful Freeware Windows Utilities you might not know about

Started by Zero Angel, March 18, 2009, 11:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zero Angel

I thought I'd make a thread for useful freeware utilities -- anyone can post one but they must link to the utility's website and they must provide a brief description. I'll start:

Windows Grep
This is a multi-file find/replace tool which allows you to search in multiple files at once and replace text with other text. For example I can search in all of the INF files inside of addon/missions/multiplayer/* (use subfolders on) and replace text from "ivar2 = 4" to "ivar2 = 8". It also supports regex and 'soundex' (sounds like) searching though I havent experimented with these.

Highly useful for modders and mapmakers as well.

Launchy
Is a 'smart' program launcher for those who prefer to use a keyboard to launch things instead of the start menu. It indexes your start menu and documents folder. To launch a file (ie: Battlezone 2), all you have to do is hit alt+space and start typing in the name of the program or document you want to launch (ie: batt..), and it will begin displaying results of what it thinks you're going to type. Hit 'enter' and 'voila!' the program runs. This program is linux compatable.

WinDirStat
Is a free program which gives you a graphical depiction of which programs and folders are taking up the most space on your hard drive -- you can then run the files, browse the folder, or delete the file/folder. This is useful if you're running low on hard drive space on any partition and need to free up some space.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

AHadley

I've been on the hunt for stuff like this recently, so I have a few. Unfortunately, I like my desktop to work nicely and look good, so some of them have slowed my PC a bit and may do the same for some of you guys.

WinRoll
WinRoll is a cool little utility that some Mac users will relate to. It allows you to double-click on a window's title bar to roll it up to just the bar.

Vista/XP Virtual Desktops
This apparently got some awful reviews, but I still like it. Most here will know what a Virtual Desktop is, but for those of you who don't know, it allows you to run four desktops, each with their own background/wallpaper and programs, on one computer and monitor.

CloseAll
CloseAll is simple - you place a shortcut in your Quick Launch toolbar, or Start Menu, or Desktop, or Dock, and when you click it, all your open programs will close. It works the same way as pressing the close button on each of these individual windows, but it saves you a few seconds, and is very useful if you tend to have a dozen or so windows open, which is pretty stupid to be honest.

IrfanView
Just in case you don't have it already, this is a pretty neat graphics viewer capable of opening TGAs and PICs for BattleZone 2. It doesn't realise it can open PICs, so it can't save them, but it still works wonders with TGAs and I think it's what GBD used for making skins at one point.

CoolIris / PicLens
CoolIris (formerly PicLens) is an Internet Explorer addon which allows you to view an image search on a 'wall', which you can control with your mouse and cursors. Not so much useful as pretty, but cool all the same.

pSX
A simple PS1 emulator... just make sure you have a PS1 first, otherwise you'll be breaking the law.

Object Dock, Rocket Dock
I have a nice littke dock running down the right side of my screen, and I had a choice between Rocket Dock and Object Dock. I had used Rocket Dock before, so I went for Stardock's alternative instead. I'm not sure which is better, but Object Dock has a larger development scene on it.

Virtite
Vitrite is pretty useful. You can press a keyboard command and the window you are using will change transparency. You can make windows stay on top with this too.

TaskSwitchXP
I've always hated XP's standard Task Switch window, so I got a the powertoy to change it. I hated that, so I got this. I love it, but it's a bit heavier than it needs to be, I think. Still, it can minimise things to the tray, which is useful to keep BZ2 out of sight when I'm supposed to be doing homework :lol:

Unlocker
I found I had a few folders in my C drive that I couldn't delete... you know, the M5d ones that are left behind when you install a windows program, that it puts the temporary files in. They don't serve any purpose, so I decided to delete them... I couldn't. Command prompt wouldn't either. Unlocker did the trick, but make sure the folder you delete isn't needed for anything first, or you might irreparably break your OS.

CCleaner
Another registry cleaner, they seem to be quite common. My PC slowed down so much recently I decided I'd have to do a good scour of the system, and the standard XP Disk cleanup hangs when I ask it to compress files. CCleaner does all it does and more, and it found dozens of unused registry keys too, which is a good thing because even though it doesnt matter much, I like my registry to be clean :)

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
Technically not a utility, but it and AVG get rid of any infections I get pretty easily between them.

AVG 8.0 (Free Version)
Technically not a utilirt, but it and MalwareBytes get rid of any infections I get pretty easily between them.

VisualToolTip
VisualToolTip (or VTT for short) shows a view of a program when you mouse over it on the taskbar. It's useful when you have several of the same program open doing different things.

Others I don't think I should post in fear of breaking rules:

YouTube Downloader

uTorrent

Google them if you want them, just don't tell me you can do it, I didn't even know they exist. What's this?

I know some of them aren't technically utilities, but they're freeware and they're cool/useful. They kind of count.

EDIT: Mod Manager 5. I won't need to link that, you all know where to find it.

TheJamsh

Quote from: AHadley on March 19, 2009, 11:45:52 AM
Technically not a utility, but it and MalwareBytes get rid of any infections I get pretty easily between them.

you mean, it gets rid of infections you KNOW about pretty easily between them :P

if you have about £50 quid a year, get kaspersky

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Zero Angel

Or ESET NOD32 Antivirus. I'm a computer tech, and I've researched and tested it very thoroughly -- I install this on all my client's PC's due to its speed, high proactive detection rate, and light resource footprint. Haven't had a complaint or callback regarding problems caused by this program.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

AHadley

Quote from: TheJamsh on March 19, 2009, 12:46:57 PM
you mean, it gets rid of infections you KNOW about pretty easily between them :P

if you have about £50 quid a year, get kaspersky

OK, fair enough. I concede.

OvermindDL1

If you want the real grep program, and all the other very useful gnu command line programs on windows, you can get them at http://getgnuwin32.sourceforge.net/.

Launchy is awesome.

WinDirStat is awesome.

WinRoll is interesting, but its functionality is rolled into so many other desktop altering packs that it may be rather useless (it is not a feature I use anyway although I do have the capability).

That Vista/XP Virtual Desktops is lieing.  Only thing it does is hide certain apps based on what state it is in.  Microsoft also has two Virtual Desktop programs as well, one works like how the above linked one does, just hiding stuff, the other is made by the Sysinternals guy (you can find it in the Sysinternals section on the Microsoft website, or just download it here) and uses the real desktop functionality that is built into Windows 2000 and higher (but never used) that literally gives you multiple distinct desktops, each running their own explorer, each with there own interfaces, and all.  Microsoft puts so much functionality into Windows, but never uses it, so sad...

Close All just sounds like crap, period.  Why on earth would you want to close everything except when shutting down, and shutting down will close everything for you...  I have 38 windows up right now, I sure as heck would not ever want to shut them *all* off (and yes, I am using them all, done something in each one within the last 5 minutes, will continue to do so until I go to work, my computer has 181 processes running as well, nothing special).

IrfanView is awesome.  I also suggest XnView too.

CoolIris is not just for IE, it has also been an extension for firefox for years, regardless though, it is crap.

I figured RocketDock/ObjectDock was just a pretty thing to show off, but after I used it for a few days it is so much better, could not imagine using the computer without it, so many useful things I have installed on it (I use ObjectDock currently).

Virtite seems useless to me (as the maker even states it is on the website :P ).  PowerMenu is better anyway, has that functionality, still very lightweight, and can do a lot more like always on top (so freakishly useful at times), minimize to system tray, transparency changing (as Virtite does, never use that feature), and changing the priority (a shortcut from having to go to the task manager), all as extra menu options on the system menu for the program (right click the titlebar, right-click the start bar prorgam item, etc...).

TaskSwitchXP is pretty and functional, it is also very slow since it keeps regenerating the thumbnails and takes up a tremendous amount of space on the screen, making it very difficult to see what is behind.  Pretty, but a horror if you alt+tab often and quickly, if I could remove the alt-tab thing that comes up by default I even would...

Unlocker (and every program like it) is a piece of crap and harmful to system stability since suddenly deleting a file handle that a program is using could very well cause the program to crash (as most programs do not handle if their file link suddenly disappears).  If you want something that can do what it can, but safer and with far more capabilities, then either get Process Explorer (a wonderful standalone program made by the sysinternals guy again, or download it directly from here), or get Task Manager Extension, which adds a lot of functionality that Process Explorer has, but directly to the Windows Task Manager; I use both.

Visual-Tooltips is just another Dock program (with window screenshots, like ObjectDock, but can be dragged off the dock unlike ObjectDock, but does not have plugins, like ObjectDock has, although it can display window screenshots when mouse is over the start bar program name, like DesktopFX can, DesktopFX is made by the same pople as ObjectDock, ton of options, very fancy, pretty, etc... but requires a lot of computer power, fun to show off your computer to other people, but most of it is useless otherwise, although I do have the option that shows the window in a thumbnail when mouseing over the name on the start bar, that is useful I do give it, DesktopFX is very fast considering what it does, probably the fastest out, just windows lacks a 3d rendering compositor for its desktop engine, so it does as best it can given the situation).

Youtube Downloader is also crap, just get the DownloadHelper extension for firefox, does it not only for youtube, but most every other flash movie site as well.

uTorrent is the official BitTorrent program now, not illegal in any way (heck, how do you think I downloaded my Ubuntu disk image 1.5 months back, although I used kTorrent, but a torrent program is a torrent program).

I use a tremendous amount of utility programs, explorer modifications, shell enhancers, everything.  If I get time later I will go through some of them and find their sites again, but there is no way I could find every one I use.  I cannot tell what is native windows functionality and what is stuff I have added anymore until I try to use someone else's computer and see how utterly crappy windows is normally.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

I use the torrent program formerly known as Azureus (Vuze). It is Java based, and has a ton of nice features and tons of addon plugins. It has a built in media center and special torrents for just it, and a friends boost system as well.

Click on the image...

cheesepuffly

I just use basic Bitorent (thats the name of the bitorrent program)

I also agree with Overmind, get the firefox extension, it lets you download tons of files off of websites, some you didnt even know you could XD.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Zero Angel

Unlocker is useful sometimes. I've had programs locking files when nothing was currently SUPPOSED to lock files, the thing is it could be any number of things like something that indexes or creates thumbnails or anything else which I do not consider important will lock a file and prevent it from being renamed or deleted. Sometimes malware has been known to lock files in order to prevent itself from being removed.
{bac}Zero Angel

OvermindDL1

Things like Process Explorer or Task Manager Extension can still find those open handles, and you can close them, all easy.  As stated though it can find any open handle, even if they are not files, so memory handles, file handles, stream handles, etc... and so forth.

And yes, generally if something is locked that I need to operate on, it is usually Google Indexer, so obviously not something visible. :P

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

AHadley

Zero Angel

WinPatrol
It's like MSConfig (the built in windows utility) on steroids. It lives in your system tray, monitoring startup processes and file associations letting you know if anything tries to change them, giving you the option to accept or reject the changes. Right clicking on the icon gives you access to the interface which allows you to see startup processes, services, IE Helpers, scheduled tasks, ActiveX processes and more.
{bac}Zero Angel

AHadley

re Unlocker, I had a couple of files in BZ2 I had made for an old mod that were conflicting with some I was making for my new one. The old ones had a locking handle on them, and they were nothing to do with BZ2. I tried Taskmanager, and it didn't work. I close everything I can in taskmanager on startup because they are things I never use anyway, and they slow my computer to hell.

Wraith

The ccleaner registry cleaner can cause your pc to slow down if you dont have the right settings for it.

I believe having these three unchecked wont slow it down:).

Unused File Extensions
ActiveX and Class Issues
Installer.

MBAM is very good along with SuperAntispyware.
Trend Micro HijackThis 2.0.2

Post a log in Overdrive Terminal if you have a malware/virus problem

AHadley