• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Rumours of Gamespy shutting down bz2 servers

Started by Ac/dc, March 25, 2009, 01:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeveeo

Quote from: Spawn on March 26, 2009, 06:17:05 PM
IIRC=Interactive Illinois Report Card?
Please explain :P
If I Recall Correctly

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Ego - Nikolas

Quote from: Spawn on March 26, 2009, 03:37:59 PM
klagspy was just an online monitor of ip's, a forum post could do the same thing.

N1 if you could see what requests that program sends and receives from gamespy then you could try and reverse engineer the gamespy master server protocall.

Or you could use gamespy 3D, add every player's ip to the offline server list and it should pick up any games even without the master server.

It wouldn't be impossible or even very difficult to get around gamespy being down, bz2 has been dead for a long time and even if another nail is added to the coffin we can still crowbar ourselves out of of it.

OFC. Klag uses master klagspy server, so he turn it off, no need to run it if GS working fine.

I send him files of data that client and gs comunicate while scaning for games, entering games, ECT..
Then for a while he made "klagspy" tool and was working okey and that was not final product

AcneVulgaris

I think 1.2 will take a server IP as a command line argument....so at the very worst some kind of external matchmaker program could be made.

Spawn

Klagspy :P

But gamespy3D has all of this built in.

OvermindDL1

Quote from: AcneVulgaris on March 27, 2009, 03:47:05 PM
I think 1.2 will take a server IP as a command line argument....so at the very worst some kind of external matchmaker program could be made.

There are programs that can already do this then, many want an actual replacement gamespy server since it serves a great deal more information about what it going on instead of just saying 'there is a game at this IP'.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Zero Angel

Thats pretty much what Klagspy does. You go to a webpage, click on 'I have a game up' and it posts your IP and a link to launch bz2 with the IP addy in the command line. It's not in-game matchmaking, nor provides any information like which players are in, what the map is, etc
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Nielk1

Yes but I remember a post asking for ppl who were serious about hosting a GS MASTER SERVER with PM for software ONLY in the case GS again went down.

Click on the image...

Feared_1

Don't work too hard trying to reassure yourselves that everything will be okay if they turn it off. That's why they started thinking about it in the first place. They are watching us :evil:

AcneVulgaris

Well if they do pull the plug, there's plenty of talented people around that will plug it back in.  Fear not.

Void

sorta offtopic but i think filefront is closing down for a while

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Void on March 30, 2009, 11:29:23 PM
sorta offtopic but i think filefront is closing down for a while

Forever actually...
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

AHadley

I thought there was something going on with FileFront.... good riddance :P

bigbadbogie

They blame the economic crisis... but its probably really just the CEO who wants to retire with his huge paycheck. Just like all the others.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Commando

I wouldn't be surprised the economic situation hurts them if a majority of FileFront's revenue comes from advertising.

Nielk1

Quote from: Commando on March 31, 2009, 03:40:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised the economic situation hurts them if a majority of FileFront's revenue comes from advertising.

You mean like radio? I have not heard of any radio shows/stations being canceled.

Click on the image...