• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Rumours of Gamespy shutting down bz2 servers

Started by Ac/dc, March 25, 2009, 01:06:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ac/dc

Nielk1

It is not like there is a dedicated bz2 server, that would be preposterous. There are a few MASTER servers that list EVERY game, and as such, BZ2 only adds minimal server load. The only way that it would be removed would be if a large number of games, like all that use the old protocol, are removed. This is NOT going to happen unless they want a lot of hate from a lot of ppl.

Click on the image...

Ac/dc

i spoke to him again today. he refered me to some other admin guy who pm'd me.

Quote from: Amazing0opah
Hi leNoobe

Its important that Gamespy players get the most out of their online experience, and also that the game's online community are accounted for as long as there are still players around. In recent months, despite the continuing uprising of PC gaming, Gamespy has had some minor economic downturns. We expect this will pass over the next twelve to eighteen months. Although, in the event of any considerable downturn, where some jobs may be lost, and in turn, some servers could potentially be shut down. Precedence of servers being shut down would be given to: 1. Older games, 2. Lower sized communities, 3. Communities that can exist without the servers. If the economic situation of Gamespy does get to that extent, these cuts could be made. Despite of this, please be reassured that we are confident of a strong recovery, without much further economic negatives.

Regards,

Amazing0opah.

@ feared_1, closest i can get to a link for the time being.

April Fools.

Commando

If anything, 1.3 supports using different servers.  Unfortunately 1.2 lacks this feature.

Spawn

Some workaround could be made for 1.2 if another server is set up, but 1.3 would be much easier.
But I would think that gamespy usually contacts pandemic about major issues, so we would have some warning.

Zero Angel

Yes, but even if 1.3 can use a different server -- do we have the software to provide proper matchmaking from within the interface?
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Red Devil

What box???

AHadley

Vets won't be happy if all this doesn't work...  :roll:

Spawn

Vets will use msn and hamachi like they did every other time gamespy died for two days.

Two days is a long time to go without bz :P

AHadley

I can manage two months, but then the withdrawal symptoms set in...

I tend to twi-... twii-...

Twitch, thats it.

*twitch*

Ego - Nikolas

And there is guy named Klag he make "klagspy" tool that replaces gs for bz2 1.2 maybe 1.3
So we got klagspy, gameranger, join by ip, hamachi, maybe some more tools that i cant recall atm.

Nielk1

Yes, all tools that we have are also compatible with 1.3 .

Some day I will want to talk to Klang about some programming things. I just like the idea of having ppl like that to bounce ideas off of or ask questions.

I recently got a program that can give me a list of servers for ANY game on a master server, and can be redirected to another server. When I have time, I will see about making something usable from this. Perhaps a low impact web view of current games. (One of the reasons I would love to talk with Klang, he seems to know stuff about gamespy.)

Click on the image...

Spawn

klagspy was just an online monitor of ip's, a forum post could do the same thing.

N1 if you could see what requests that program sends and receives from gamespy then you could try and reverse engineer the gamespy master server protocall.

Or you could use gamespy 3D, add every player's ip to the offline server list and it should pick up any games even without the master server.

It wouldn't be impossible or even very difficult to get around gamespy being down, bz2 has been dead for a long time and even if another nail is added to the coffin we can still crowbar ourselves out of of it.

Nielk1

IIRC Klang actually got some real Old Protocol software and was offering it only in the case of a shutdown to serious ppl.

Click on the image...

Spawn

IIRC=Interactive Illinois Report Card?
Please explain :P