• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hardpoints and Turrets

Started by AHadley, April 07, 2009, 08:29:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

I'm trying to make a Hadean Megagun based on the ISDF Artillery from SRV. The problem is that the Hadean MegaGun model doesn't have a Mortar hardpoint or a turret. How can I add these using freeware programs that are fairly easy to use?

EDIT: This should probably be in Maps and Mods.

Red Spot

Been I while since I played around with BZ2's models, but I think this might come of use:
http://www.bzscrap.com/downloads/Utilities/bz2me.exe
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

Nielk1

IIRC that has an XSI. If the thing has an HP, find it in notepad and rename it. If it does not, you can do the following to ensure a stable model.

Add the HP in ThreeD (BZ2ME) and then save under a new name. Compare the before and after XSIs in notepad and put the HP in the before xsi. This helps mitigate ThreeD destruction of xsi files.

Click on the image...

AHadley

I'm afraid the MegaGun model has a .msh. I take it this is the time to call on OM1 for a conversion?

Nielk1

Quote from: AHadley on April 07, 2009, 09:50:32 AM
I'm afraid the MegaGun model has a .msh. I take it this is the time to call on OM1 for a conversion?

You sure? How did Starfleet and XMod use an edited version then?

Click on the image...

AHadley

ThreeD recognises them, but it opens them as a blank window, which I assume means .msh. I could be wrong, let me check again.

AHadley

OK, I think I've managed that, but its the turrets I'm worried about. I'll give them a try without asking you guys, but I'm not so sure, lol

Steeveeo

Keep in mind that, as you can see if you watch any artillery, they always fire the first shot way off of the target, and I have still not found the fix for that, but I can pull in that first shot just a little bit.

A couple fixes/workarounds/cover-ups can be like this:

- Work it with DLL if its SP (MP if you want to learn C++).
- Tweak everything in the craft classes until the variation is almost nil.
- Call that first blast in the distance a "Test shot." Would work best in SP: *BOOM* "What was that?!" "A Hadean Megagun sir, they're closing in on us, get out of there!"), but would still work in MP.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

AHadley

I think the last suggestion was best... an on-planet megagun likely wouldn't fire with the same accuracy as an off-planet one, as they can't actually see their target, and would have to extrapolate from the radar.

It seems the new megagun really slows the game when I try to place it to the point that I have to restart. I'll have another go, but I might end up calling back with an AV.

AHadley

I've discovered the problem!

When I save the .xsi, having added the hardpoint, it only saves the first frame on the list. Am I doing something wrong?

mrtwosheds

Yes.
The first frame must not have a texture.
copy the frame part, paste it above itself and rename it.

like this

Frame frm-dummy {

FrameTransformMatrix {
      0,0,0,1;;
   }

Frame frm-main_body {

FrameTransformMatrix {
         0,0,0,1;;
      }

Mesh main_body {

AHadley

That is really confusing. Any fix that uses ThreeD?

mrtwosheds

THreed is the problem!
It is always worth examining your .xsi in notepad before attempting to load it in bz2, broken xsi tend to crash the editor.
There are a few other situations where Threed will break your xsi for you, buildings also often need to be saved with a dummy frame, which you can safely remove in notepad before loading into bz2.
Any xsi with an animation tends to get broken too, because threed like to optimise them and sticks their bits together in a way that does not work.
Just copy the animation part in notepad before saving with threed, then paste it back after saving.

For any model just paste this bit in

Frame frm-dummy {

FrameTransformMatrix {
      0,0,0,1;;
   }

past it in after
SI_Ambience {
   0.000000; 0.000000; 0.000000;;
}
above the first geometry frame of the model.

AHadley

OK, I've done that... but there's no base plate any more and only one of the textures shows up :?

mrtwosheds

Buildings need to be saved with a dummy frame in threed, which you can safely remove in notepad after saving with threed and before loading into bz2. The dummy frame is Just to stop threed breaking it...

delete this bit in notepad.

Frame frm-dummy {

FrameTransformMatrix {
      0,0,0,1;;
   }

Threed is not a modelling program, its a copy and paste tool, its useful for adding stuff like hp's, changing the model hierarchy, and altering materials. I use it to assemble models components created in other programs.

Tip, avoid pasting materials, sometimes this causes threed to abruptly terminate.