• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Forgotten Enemies (BZ2CP): Full Installer Released!

Started by Sonic, November 24, 2003, 06:47:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spacecomber

I've run into a problem getting the RevC full installer to work.  This is the version showing last modified as 3-26-04.  The problem appears to be the same one that I ran into with a recent G66 installer.  The installation starts to run; I get as far as the dialogue box with the first progress bar running across it, which seems to complete; but, after that it seems like my system wants to change resolution or something and I get a blank screen with the monitor light blinking in standby mode.

I was trying to run the installer over a network and install to my Win98SE system.  I tried both 1024x32 and 800x32 desktop resolutions with no joy.  (The G66 installer seemed to work as long as I made sure I was in 32 bit color instead of 16 bit color.)

I think this is a video card driver/installer incompatibility.  Video card is a Geforce2 GTS with Nvidia 5664 drivers.  DirectX 9.0.

Sonic

Most likley it is the same issue as the G66 installer.  The FE Full Installer was giving a special skin for its release.  Concidering what we learned from the skin issue with the G66 installer, it probobly would be best to remove the skin from the FE Full installer.

Before I update this installer (remove the skin), it might be a good idea to wait for Rev.D(?) and or the new MPI DLL.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

Spacecomber

That's fine.  I re-downloaded the file and used WinZip to do a CRC check between the version I had tried installing and this re-downloaded one, just to rule out a corruption problem.  They are the same.

Any thoughts on a work around in the meanwhile?  I was going to install Rev C on my second computer so I could test out this latest (and perhaps last) Rev C MPI beta over my LAN.

Is there a particular resolution and color depth that this skin is using?  If it isn't 1024x32 or 800x32, perhaps if I set my desktop to that resolution it would run.  Seemed like altering my desktop color depth got the G66 installer to work, anyway.

Sonic

Spacecomber

I looked through this thread and saw that someone else had trouble running the installer from within Windows Explorer and they used task manager to start the installer.  So, I decided to see if I could run it from the "run . . ." dialogue and that worked.

So, who knows.   :?

Sonic

Skins looked nice and made a great presentation, but they now look like more trouble then there worth so I'm going to stop using them.  I'm going to PM Fishbone about this to see about getting a new copy of the FE Full Installer up with some updates and such.

OvermindDL1

if there is only skin problems on certain OS's, just don't have the skin appear on those os's, it is easy to determine the OS type.

Sonic

The InstallShield system is basicly Skin or no Skin by the present of the skin file and the size of the dialogs...No such feature like that in DevStudio 9.

OvermindDL1

If you can specify in code which skin to load, it would be a simple matter to scan the os type before that, if you wish (and if it is capable of it) it would be a simple matter to package up the code into an object to embed into it, or include it as a dll.

cyrus

seanthegreat

Quote from: deadscionAlso double check the multiplayer map listbox when you host a game. I found as many as 5 maps with duplication.
That happened to me in instant action

lucky_foot

Quote from: RocketmanX on December 24, 2003, 04:54:37 PM
Just wondered, does the sale of a mod cd intrude upon any of the conditions stated in the license?

QuoteLICENSE CONDITIONS. Ã, 
* You agree that as a condition to Activision's consent to allow you to use the Level Editor, you will not use or allow third parties to use the Level Editor and the New Game Materials created by you for commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a stand alone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate or encourage any proposal or offer from any person or entity to create any New Game Materials for commercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Activision in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer.

The part that includes "and the New Game Materials created by you " seems pretty specific.

If the sale of this cd is all legal then it would suggest that there is some unspoken financial deal worked out with someone who has rights to the BZ name and if this is the case, who is the non-company people involved and to what financial extent? I understood this project to be a non profit community effort. Not a means of a select few profiting from the efforts of everyone.

I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about this.

Hey, not to dredge up an old subject, but I wanted just to say something about this and the copyright law. :) I, myself, am an author and so I work with the copyright law alot and there is a protection in the law that states anything based on someone else's work is considered a "direvative Work" and is protected by the owner.

First of all, I want to say that I believe it's an excellent idea for you all to make a CD that would be easier for people with 56k (or smaller) be able to get access to such an excellent mod. I'm just stating a little warning to be careful.

A friend of mine on the internet made fan movies and created his own characters based on Stargate: SG-1. He made the episodes available on DVD and sold them to people only for the shipping and handling plus DVD cost. He is right now in court with Paramount and is being sued.

So, that's my little tip and keep up the excellent work!!!
Jonathan S.

hellfire36O

do i need a copy of bz2 to install this... my copy doesnt work

OvermindDL1

Very much so yes, as it is a mod for BZ2.

And hurry up and post what it wrong with the installer in that other thread.  It would probably be a good idea to post an MD5 of all the files on the cd as well...

sabrebattletank

QuoteLICENSE CONDITIONS. Ã,
* You agree that as a condition to Activision's consent to allow you to use the Level Editor, you will not use or allow third parties to use the Level Editor and the New Game Materials created by you for commercial purposes, including but not limited to selling, renting, leasing, licensing, distributing, or otherwise transferring the ownership of such New Game Materials, whether on a stand alone basis or packaged in combination with the New Game Materials created by others, through any and all distribution channels, including, without limitation, retail sales and on-line electronic distribution. You agree not to solicit, initiate or encourage any proposal or offer from any person or entity to create any New Game Materials for commercial distribution. You agree to promptly inform Activision in writing of any instances of your receipt of any such proposal or offer.

Although that seems to me that this only applies to things created through various "released-by-pandemic" (official or unofficial) BZ2 progs...

So the community based things aka Threed? would be legal?