• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

BZ2 model usage

Started by appel, April 20, 2009, 05:57:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

appel

I'm scratching my head a bit over these XSI models, there are many for each unit.

Let's take the sabre as an example:
- ivtank00.xsi
- ivtankL1.xsi
- ivtankL2.xsi

The ivtankL1.xsi seems to be something like a "flattened" model of ivtank00.xsi, while ivtankL2.xsi seems to be a low-poly model.

My main question is: How are these models used in the game? Is ivtank00.xsi used for position purposes only (lights, cockpit, exhaust etc.) while ivtankL1.xsi is used for in-game visuals?

Just want to get this right.

Warfreak

The model00.xsi's are the ACTUAL model you see ingame.

the modelL1/modelL2 are the LOD models, which you would see at certain distances. They are lower poly models of what the model would look like from a distance. They are ONLY pulled up to replace the actual model when a certain distance from you is reached. (and your object detail is below "High" in some cases)

bigbadbogie

They are designed to make the game run faster because it doesn't have to use as many polys at one time for distant units/buildings.

Scion units don't have LOD models because they are animated and that wouldn't work. Same with the ISDF walker.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Warfreak

The engine DOES however create an "lod" for them.

Essentially welds verts together as the unit gets further from view. :|

bigbadbogie

No it doesn't.

MRM Factor doesn't work.

My BZ2 mods:

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

appel

00 and L1 look virtually identical.

Warfreak

SURE AS HELL DOES, just look at an ISDF pilot from a distance.  (If it doesnt work in pb4a, it worked before)
HELL, turn object detail to LOW when Scions.

?, 00 and L1 should have some differences in the other vehicles. The purpose however stays the same.

appel

Any idea how I can convert ivtank00.xsi to a md5 format?

bigbadbogie

Use an old version of 3Dex and convert it to .3DS.

Import that to 3D Studio Max, and then export it to MD5.

My BZ2 mods:

Nielk1

ODFs must call in the LOD xsis btw.

Click on the image...

appel

Quote from: bigbadbogie on April 20, 2009, 07:02:52 PM
Use an old version of 3Dex and convert it to .3DS.

Import that to 3D Studio Max, and then export it to MD5.

I can convert it to 3DS using Virtual Hemisphere. I don't have 3D Studio Max though, but I can get it.

What I'm mainly worried about is that I can't export to MD5 because the models don't have any bones! I don't know sht about 3D modeling, so, I'm doooomed.

TheJamsh

why would you want to convert it then lol?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

appel

Quote from: TheJamsh on April 21, 2009, 07:22:52 AM
why would you want to convert it then lol?

I want to use only MD5, because that's the format the engine supports primarily that I'm using.

TheJamsh

oh gotcha.

be sure you dont use the models commercially... you might get a severe backhand from activision if you were caught, along with a large fine.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.