• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

TA5 Bugs or Issues (Someone had to start it)

Started by Commando, April 24, 2009, 07:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSH

i posted this in the wrong section. now i will post it here.  when i load up 1.3 ta5 and go into the login screen, it wont allow me to create a new pilot so i cant play the game. every pilot slot is empty and when i type in my new name, it wont add it to the list so i cant play the game.

Try installing BZ2 into C:\users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Battlezone2 . That way, Vista file protection shouldn't interfere.

-- GSH

GSH

Steeevo - if you're running vista, I think the binData folder is now under {$MyDocs}\My Games\Battlezone 2.

-- GSH

Steeveeo

Win XP SP3, I will try my hardest never to let Vista touch a single one of my harddrives...

And nope, don't see it there either.

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

Just create a new folder call 'bindata' in the data folder. MSHes should show up in it.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Steeveeo

Ah, I see...

"If you build it, they will come" :D

EDIT: Yep, oddly enough that worked...

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

Vid

for the one having a hard time with making a pilot, I would try a clean install.  Don't delete battlezone 2 off your computer, just change where it installs to.  Like C:\New\Battlezone 2
Then point 1.3TA5 there for its install, let it do all the additional installs and see if its works?

You don't need to delete BZ2 each time to my knowledge, just put it in a new directory.  I have a BZ 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3PB4a, FE, and 1.3TA5 directory on mine.

Also for the bugs part..   Every time I target a guntower/spire, their base goes flickery/partially translucent.  And it continues to flicker/change translucence.  Don't usually target my buildings, they may do this as well.  Not sure if its a graphics problem or just a bug.

King Gladiator

Quote from: GSH on May 03, 2009, 03:17:47 PM
Try installing BZ2 into C:\users\<USERNAME>\Documents\Battlezone2 . That way, Vista file protection shouldn't interfere.

-- GSH

Wow... it worked. all our base are belong to you... forever...
The only thing that is necessary for evil to succeed is that men of good will do nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Vid

Windows Vista has a virtualization feature(read - pain in the... for old programs) for Program Files and the Windows directory.  This is something to the effect that when windows boots, it virtualizes the contents of these directories and anything that tries to write to them I believe will write to the virtual area.  If it isn't coded to support vista's virtualization, then vista won't translate that virtual area to the "real" area.

IE..  when windows boots, vista loads C:\Program Files as a copy in random folder C:\aK#$Mka\Program Files
or something like that.  When something tries to read/write from C:\Program Files, vista usually is putting that virtual directory up in front of it as a blocker of sorts.  Only if its compatible with the way vista does things will it go through and get to the real directory.  I'm not sure if this was an attempt to stop spyware or the like..

So, since BZ2 is ancient, it doesn't write your pilot data(login name) in a way that is compatible to vista, so vista will not let it go "thru" to the real directory and it stays dead in the virtual one.  Or perhaps BZ2 writes to the real one and the "fake" one is the one in use...  I'm not sure really, but basic thing is, BZ2 is writing to the wrong area because vista has this feature for Program Files and Windows.  Generally why I try to stay away from putting things in Program Files these days.

Not an expert on vista, just something I was told for a few other games.  Something like this happens, but not exactly sure what.

Zero Angel

ESET Smart Security falsely flags <BZ2FOLDER>/bzone.exe as a virus when the 1.3TA5 installer is run. I know its typically a good idea to run installers with antivirus turned off, but I just thought I should post it here.

Quote5/6/2009 11:06:01 AM   
Real-time file system protection   
file   C:\Program Files (x86)\Battlezone2\bzone.exe   
probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus   
cleaned by deleting - quarantined      
Event occurred on a new file created by the application: C:\Users\David\Documents\BZ2_v13TechAlpha5_english-rc2.exe.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

GSH

C:\Users\David\Documents\BZ2_v13TechAlpha5_english-rc2.exe.

That's not what was released to the public.

-- GSH

Nielk1

Click on the image...

Clavin12

Quote from: Wraith on April 24, 2009, 08:55:22 PM
When i try to install it it says its not a valid Win32 application? Windows XP Pro sp2. I tried downloading it with ie and ff but same result....

I got something similar to that. it said it tried but failed to work with the windows sp1 firewall.
C l a v i n 1 2

Red Spot

Quote from: Clavin12 on May 07, 2009, 06:36:54 AM
I got something similar to that. it said it tried but failed to work with the windows sp1 firewall.

Thats nothing important .. afaik it just means you have the windows firewall disabled. It at least isnt really important for BZ2 itself.
*Something intelligent, yet funny*

dazza9075

Quote from: Zero Angel on May 06, 2009, 11:10:02 AM
ESET Smart Security falsely flags <BZ2FOLDER>/bzone.exe as a virus when the 1.3TA5 installer is run. I know its typically a good idea to run installers with antivirus turned off, but I just thought I should post it here.

Snap, i ended up excluding the BZ2 folder from its scans, however it still has issues with downloading the archive then deleting the exe out of it! its a great AV suite but its a tad over sensitve.

Clavin12

Quote from: Red Spot on May 07, 2009, 06:52:01 AM
Thats nothing important .. afaik it just means you have the windows firewall disabled. It at least isnt really important for BZ2 itself.

I probably know already, but to be quick how do you turn the firewall on?
C l a v i n 1 2