• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Router Troubles.... (Formerly GADAM IT!)

Started by TheJamsh, April 26, 2009, 06:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

Can someone help me set up my damn router?

Im using windows vista 32-bit, and my router is a 'Netgear WGR614 v9'. There is also a black modem that its plugged into, i have no idea what make that is.

Cannot set the sodding thing up. spent all afternoon doing this. http://www.portforward.com doesnt help me at all. I downloaded 'SImple Port Forwarding by PC Win Tech.com but that doesnt seem to be working either.

I have NO idea what im doing. need help please. ive tried EVERYTHING. ive reset the router to factory defaults but i still cant access it. No program (even in admin mode) can change anything. why is it so frikkin hard.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

I'd suggest first of all that you find out what modem (gateway) you've got there in that unidentified 'black modem'.  If it's just a simple gateway then there's no issue, but if it's actually a router you don't really want to plug another router into it... just a simple switch.

If it's a simple gateway and not doing any firewall or routing then it's not an issue, but it's a good idea to find out.

For your Netgear itself you need to set everything up IN the router.  I'm not sure what you're doing as far as "No program (even in admin mode) can change anything."  You set up port forwarding in your router menus, not using a program running on the computer.

To do that you need to access the internal menus of the router.  You do that through your browser by typing in the gateway IP address.   I don't do Vista, but it should be the same...   open a CMD window (Start, Run, "CMD", enter) and type "IPCONFIG", then hit enter.  You'll get several lines back, one of which should be:

Default Gateway.........:192.168.XXX.XXX

That IP address is what you type into your browser to access the internal menus.  After that it'll depend on the router, but most of the more modern ones have internal help menus and it shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

The specifics of port forwarding vary slightly with each router.  For instance, on my Linksys I had to specify that the computer in question had a specific IP address and NOT use DHCP to auto-assign one.  Then I had to open the specific ports for that IP address in the router port forwarding menus.

For my UVerse gateway it's very different.  I can specify global settings and still use DHCP, but I had to create a custom configuration setting to apply.  This makes it easy to set up specific ports for each program and keep them organized.

-Av-

TheJamsh

typing ipconfig into cmd.exe doesnt give me any of that info that it should be.

i know the ip address of my router, but i cant get into it. if reset it, changed the username, password but no matter what i do i cant get into the damn thing.

EDIT: i cant even connect to it on wireless now.

the black box i cant identify has virgin media printed on it. its a fibre optic router as far as im aware. cant be much else. the netgear router itself seems to be getting more and more screwy.

GreenHeart

Signature:
Many failures will take place in the process of attempting to achive your goal. It don't matter how many times you fail, Its how much you've learned each time since its apart of the learning process.

OvermindDL1

Quote from: GreenHeart on April 26, 2009, 10:24:18 AM
router setup guides: http://www.portforward.com/
Quote from: TheJamsh on April 26, 2009, 06:01:52 AM
Cannot set the sodding thing up. spent all afternoon doing this. http://www.portforward.com doesnt help me at all. I downloaded 'SImple Port Forwarding by PC Win Tech.com but that doesnt seem to be working either.

I would guess that the black box of his is also a NAT, and is as such blocking those ports unless specifically communicated out of first, he just needs to figure out how to access it.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Vid

http://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/troubleshooting/cant-connect-lights-256.php

Would that happen to be the black box modem?

Also on your netgear, you say you changed the password/username, but you don't have access?  How can you change it if you don't have access to it?(besides hard reset)

http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/WGR614v9/Railroad_Tycoon_III.htm

Just using that game as an example as I didn't see BZ2, but you get to those screens, or simply can't get into the router at all?

Just trying to get a clear picture of whether you are being allowed into the router, then the changes you make don't take effect(either virtually(come back to the screen and it isn't changed) or physically(the black box is blocking it))
or
You can't get into the router in the first place(username/password don't match, access denied)

Apparently others have issues with this setup:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=900563
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=27015

Ipconfig won't tell you the default gateway either?
cmd to bring up the black box command prompt, then ipconfig or ipconfig /all
?

TheJamsh

managed to get my internet running again, still no wireless though.

that IS the black box in question
i did a hard reset on the netgear and used the built in password and the password we were sent. no luck.

i can get to the router at all. typing in the ip address into a browser brings up a password and username box. the username and password never allow me access.

ipconfig didnt work, not did ipconfig /all. im not getting anything about a gateway or any ip addresses.

TheJamsh

RIGHT!

I didnt touch anything, but i left the power to both units OFF overnight and i now have wireless and regular internet back. however, i STILL can't access the routers settings. Any port forwarding programs ive downloaded come up with errors too, so i dunno what the hecks going on with it.

Typing ipconfig into cmd.exe on a DIFFERENT computer connected over wireless gave me the gateway, subnet mask and ipv4 address.

Vid

Alright, so you do not have any access to the router at all.
Try both the password/login sent from ISP, and the default password/login for that model of router.  I believe netgear's default setup is
admin
password

in lower case.

If that doesn't work, likely the ISP has modded the firmware to prevent tampering and put a lock on their service so to speak.  This is if you bought the router from the ISP.  You would need to find the password/login from them if the one they sent you isn't working.

Since you can't get into the router at all, yes at this time its impossible to port forward with that router.
If it had a DMZ port, you could possibly use that, but likely DMZ isn't setup by default.

Some ISPs will put custom passwords/logins on routers, and some others still will put even custom firmware on routers, really making it difficult to do your own thing to their equipment.

Sounds like the situation you are experiencing, but I may be wrong.
Reset to default settings should have put it back at Netgear or your ISP's custom firmware password/login.  Try both, if neither work, then complain to the ISP.

Being locked out of a router is no fun at all :(

TheJamsh

true true. they actually sent us a card with some information on it.

the admin and password were replaced by 'byuser' and 'bypass', but that hasnt worked either. I think you;re right in saying we have modded firmware, but at least someone has an idea. ill try speaking to customer services tomorow and see how i go.

Red Devil

I'd just get a new router.  Try bypassing the router and hooking up directly to the modem?  Is your IP static or dynamic?
What box???

TheJamsh

im not entirely sure. the box for the router says static, but my computer said dynamic.

im pretty sure its static now. GENERAL MANSON recommended a program called team viewer 4 or something. maybe thatll help. getting another router is out of the question atm, i might just have to make do with joining rather than hosting for a bit until i get it figured out.

TheJamsh

ok... strangely, i touched nothing for a couple of days. turned it on and its just...

magically started working... BZ2 tells me my router now speaks upnp and my ports are forwarded. very strange...

AHadley

Games hosted by you work wonderfully too, i barely got any lag aside from the usual couple of millisecond jump i always get as the engine sound loops.