• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Hey There - Newbie Question

Started by Droid, May 27, 2009, 11:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Droid

Hey, as the title suggests, a slightly newbie question to follow. (yes skip the spiel if you wish and please, don't flame me. Can't we all get along?)

I have been playing BZ2 for many years now, was a member of a very well known clan at for most of this time too, until i dropped off the MP scene and only played casually at lans with friends.  This is when i got into G66, and very recently gone as far as modding the game (ODF files for now) with a friend to make it more of a challenge, or to just have more fun. 
I have been using these forums for lots of troubleshooting along the way, but only recently signed up because now I am at a crossroads, or a Catch22 as it may.  I learned to fly at a very young age ( :-P), and I find it to be a valuable addition to strategies to use.  Obviously then, upgrading past 1.2 just hasn't happened until recently when I installed 1.3TA5.  Wow, I am genuinely impressed with how far it's come over the years, and will be using it quite often, so well done!  :-D

Unfortunately after playing around with it for a couple nights, I have come to realise that I miss being able fly. (Sometimes flying around just kills the time while waiting for something)  Now what i would like to know if there is some compromise that can be made, besides having multiple installs as I already have 2.  Is there anyway to make flying possible in 1.3 at all? or is it not worth trying? (Remember I wont be playing online at all, its just for myself and a friend) I'm not asking anyone to do this for me, I would like to be able to change this myself, if it's possible of course..  :?

Please if you all you want to do is abuse me for my views, don't bother replying.  I'm not here to start s*** (Censorship? lol) I'm on the fence when it comes to this subject as both arguments are valid IMO.  Yes its an exploit, but at the same time to use it effectively in your strategies is a skill.  :-)

Thanks
-Droid

Droid

Thanks for really reading what i said.

Why is everyone so quick to get abusive.  :-(

I'm asking whats involved in it, I didn't ask for it to be put back.  By no means would I request that they change it for me, or any other person.  I understand that there has been an immense amount of work goes into making these patches.

Have not had any contact with any BZ2 community in a couple years, and this is the first reply I get from the forums I least suspected it from - a modding forum.  I'm asking for assistance/help with in something I would like to do on my own if its possible not flak.

Sorry to be such a typical  '1.2 exploit vet'.. I don't think am a vet at all, just want to play this game, find out whats possible to do and what isnt  :oops:

OvermindDL1

No, it is not even possible to pretend to put in flying.  The 1.2 community are mostly made up of morons who tried to hack servers, haggle and hassle people in real-life and so forth, they are the ones that got it permanently removed.  It was a bug anyway, but it was not a bug fix that would have been enforced if not for the 1.2 idiots.  Go thank/bug them, not us.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Droid

Thank you for explaining that better, both of you.  :-)

Feel free to close/lock, delete or whatever with this thread.  I don't want to stir up a hornets nest, I'd like to be able to come back here and ask for help at later dates!  :-D

VSMIT

*Ammo*, BBB.  Stop being inflamatory.  You are quickly becoming part of the reason why 1.2 players hate 1.3 players.

Droid: There is a recycler variant in TA5 that has 1.2 physics if I remember correctly, but it does not enable the flying bug.  GSH removed it for a reason, and there is no chance of it being put back in.

Dangit.  Resolved (minus BBB) before I could post...
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

anomaly

Quote from: Droid on May 28, 2009, 12:29:44 AM
Thank you for explaining that better, both of you.  :-)

Feel free to close/lock, delete or whatever with this thread.  I don't want to stir up a hornets nest, I'd like to be able to come back here and ask for help at later dates!  :-D

Don't worry about it.   That's just BBB being... well, BBB.  It's not like you demanded anything or were rude so feel free to ask for any other help.

bigbadbogie

Quote from: VSMIT on May 28, 2009, 12:31:32 AM
*Ammo*, BBB.  Stop being inflamatory.  You are quickly becoming part of the reason why 1.2 players hate 1.3 players.

WHAT???

1.2 players hated 1.3 players 4 years before I even joined this community.

Just because you don't care enough about 1.3 to defend it doesn't mean I don't care. Goodbye.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Zero Angel

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on May 28, 2009, 12:10:55 AM
No, it is not even possible to pretend to put in flying.  The 1.2 community are mostly made up of morons who tried to hack servers, haggle and hassle people in real-life and so forth, they are the ones that got it permanently removed.  It was a bug anyway, but it was not a bug fix that would have been enforced if not for the 1.2 idiots.  Go thank/bug them, not us.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey
Mostly? I think you're vastly overstating things -- as well as underestimating the size of the 1.2 community (theres over 40 currently active 1.2 players, most of them dont even post on forums often). The majority of the 1.2 community is actually pretty laid back and matured and just wants to have a fun game.

Regardless, if there was a way to add flying back into 1.3 as a mod or w/e -- I'm sure the vet community will create a mod which does that. In the meantime if you miss flying, come back to 1.2 -- it is possible to have multiple installs of BZ2.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Droid

Thanks  :-)

Yeah I will be using both installs of bz, 1.2 and 1.3.  They are both good fun!

Anyway I shall look forward to hassling you all later on with more modding questions when I have them.  Which may be soon as work just gave me 2 weeks notice and its nearly impossible to find a job here at the moment  :x

Mr X

If you want a compromise you could just play as scions and pilot a fury. But a lot of people think that those are brokenly powerful too. :P
http://www.bzuniverse.com/forum/index.php/topic,10101.0.html
starting January 2010!

Zero Angel

Oh incredibly so. Furies are neat but they are untouchable against an ISDF scout or tank if piloted properly. (simply hit the deploy key and you've escaped combat)

Actually it might be possible to balance them in a little bit by reducing their speed so that it can't outrun a scout, and reducing the deploy time so that it doesnt shoot up into the air so quickly when deploying/undeploying.
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel

General BlackDragon

*cough*Click*cough*

Space map for 1.3 with flying planes. *should* work on TA5...never tested it really. Let me know if it's broken in TA5. :P

*****General BlackDragon*****

Zero Angel

Flying planes is as close to hovering as riding a bike is as close to driving a fast car. Both are fun in different ways.
{bac}Zero Angel

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

BNG Da BZ Fool

Isn't flying already possible in 1.2/FE? The Cerberi Talon rocks; kudos to the original maker, and TV made an excellent set of planes called the Gull & Goose; with some ODF tweaking all of them can be modified for some pretty intense air combat dm's. I'm working on a few of my own.

I don't really understand the rivalry thing between 1.2 and 1.3 players other then that 1.3 and above has gotten pretty complicated verses 1.2's realitive simplicity; personally I lost track past the original 1.3 and whatever flavor it currently comes in now TA5 right? I think what really bummed me out was when I discovered the compatibilty issues between early 1.3 and later versions that made addition BZII installations required to play older Mods. BBB, is just being himself. I know because I too can be quite irritating at times.
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.