• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Cannot Copy File: The File Exists!

Started by AHadley, June 05, 2009, 02:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AHadley

Yeah, really.

I'm taking a bit of a break from BZ2 for a while and am continuing with a mod a friend was running when he quit development a while back. In trying to copy one folder on top of another to replace a bad model and its textures, I am confronted with possibly what is the oddest and most confusing Windows error message I have ever received.

ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER

The file exists.

Does anybody know what's causing it?

Steeveeo

(Click it for more art, y'know you wanna!)

Gone to college, but I now have internet.

bigbadbogie

I have seen that error before... and I still am quite perplexed as to what the bloody hell it could possibly mean.

Try restarting your computer and then try and overwrite it again.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

GSH

If you're using Process Explorer -- see http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx , it can tell you which process(es) have which file(s) open. Just hit find, and type in part of the path. It can replace the piece of junk Task Manager -- Process Explorer has all sorts of useful little features like "remember which column you sorted by last time!"

-- GSH

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

task manager

pah. never tells me why my hard disk is on fire.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

For me at times like that "Unlocker Assistant" pops up and lets me kill process or unlink files, and if it finds nothing it lets me set the operation to occur on boot. I can't tell you how many times I couldn't delete an empty folder I was not even browsing inside of because explorer was doing something random inside of it.

Click on the image...

Purplehaze

Hey you, Yeah you, In that window, hop outta there.

wasd

Nielk1

IDK, unlocker assistant is great. It just sits in the tray using minimal resources (2,xxx K) and comes up ONLY when an issue has occurred automatically, as if it was a feature that should have been in windows already.

Click on the image...

AHadley

Thanks guys, I'll see where those two get me. Rebooting didn't help, I tried that first time.

TheJamsh

Well explorer recently screwed up my start menu. I have no programs in it now, and because half of the explorer programs are hidden in totally STUPID places in the windows folder, i have to know the names of all the EXE's to run them.

Frikkin windows. grr at it.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.