• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

any tips for scratched discs?

Started by TheJamsh, June 07, 2009, 10:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJamsh

My gears 2 disc now has a massive semi-circle scratch around the outside that prevents me playing it fully.

Ive heard and seen things about toothpaste, mayonaise etc that you can use to buff scratches out. this scratch is fairly large though.

Any other tips?

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Red Devil

Is the scratch on the top (label) side or the bottom?  OM says the info in stored in the top (label) side, so if the top is scratched, you're hosed.  Besides, you're supposed to be be playing/testing BZ2.   :-P
What box???

TheJamsh

The scratch is on the plastic side, not the label side.

and yeh i know... im being naughty :P

Red Devil

Then anything that dries to a hard, clear finish should work. e.g. polyurethane, clear nail polish, car polish, etc.  I'd Google around more first.
What box???

bigbadbogie

If you still have it installed, download a no-cd patch.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Warfreak

Gears2 -> A XBOX360 Game that is the sequel to Gears Of War, which has a pc version.

No-CD Cracks don't work when the tech in question just runs stuff right off the cd. :P

TheJamsh

I installed the game content from my friends gears 2 disc to the xbox harddrive... it still uses my CD to read the copyright data but the rest plays from the harddrive. Got lucky with where the scratch is i think. Will try further repairs though.

Ah well... guess ill have to make do with no harddrive space instead :P

Note that gears 2 isnt avilable on PC, copyrights and all that. Some of the software is worth thousands to buy externally and use. and of course, a no-cd crack wont work on an xbox. Not unless i void warranty, which im NOT going to do given how unreliable they are anyway.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 08, 2009, 07:19:38 AM
given how unreliable they are anyway.

Thats why i have a PS3.  Only have to worry bout the yellow light of death. Which has a 0.0X (not sure) chance of happening XD. Plus blu rays are much more resistant to damage than regular DVDs (they take the same damage, just can read better with it)

GOW2 probably will come to PC, GOW1 did.

And huge scratches are hard to fix. I sometimes try getting a spray bottle, spray it on my disk lightly (full of pure water that is), wipe it, then let it dry face up for a while.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Zero Angel

Sometimes you can get videogame/dvd movie rental place to resurface games and movies for you. The toothpaste method isnt totally reliable, so it might be worth pursuing this avenue -- just ask.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

i had GTA IV re-surfaced at GAME, the scratch is that was monumental compared to my gears 2 disc.

Gears 2 definately isnt coming to PC, theres notices about it all around. Gears 1 didnt transfer to PC very well. besides, i prefer the layout of an xbox controller compared to PS3, and the 3-year warranty and cheap price are all bonuses.

That and that gears 2 isnt available on ps3, and that it is awesome.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 08, 2009, 12:49:38 PM
i had GTA IV re-surfaced at GAME, the scratch is that was monumental compared to my gears 2 disc.

Gears 2 definately isnt coming to PC, theres notices about it all around. Gears 1 didnt transfer to PC very well. besides, i prefer the layout of an xbox controller compared to PS3, and the 3-year warranty and cheap price are all bonuses.

That and that gears 2 isnt available on ps3, and that it is awesome.

Terrible D pad, lack of motion sensor support (sure the ps3s motion support aint great but its better than nothing). And we have Resistance, Killzone 2, and the upcoming 256 player MAG for your action game needs.

And with a ps3 you dont need a friggin 3 year warranty. The cheap price is for the lowest of the low end systems in the xbox 360s rank.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

TheJamsh

Larger community with xbox as well... and still more game support.

I dont see the point in blu-ray, most people dont have TV's that support it properly (and i mean properly). and none of those games are gears 2 :P

cheesepuffly

The ps3 will run on a standard def TV, game wise its more about capacity than graphical quality.(which is still pretty damn good) Compared to the petty DL DVD 9GB of the 360s games, the ps3 gets 50GB on its blu ray disc.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

Warfreak

Quote from: cheesepuffly on June 08, 2009, 02:01:30 PM
Compared to the petty DL DVD 9GB of the 360s games, the ps3 gets 50GB on its blu ray disc.
And I've yet to see Game Companies take true advantage of 50GB of space. (And I mean use that NOT to have 5000 UNCOMPRESSED 4096x4096 textures, but for 5000+ SCRIPTED MAPS and a built in Editor of sorts.)

Yes, I would pay ANY PRICE if it meant Infinite#ofCraptoDo + LONGsingleplayerMode + MAYBEmultiplayerSupport over Quality + MPsupport + shortSingleplayerMode. (Which is why I play PC :P)

cheesepuffly

Try Littlebigplanet or Metal Gear Solid 4
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!