• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

The do's and don'ts when making custom death match maps.

Started by BNG Da BZ Fool, June 11, 2009, 05:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

Don't place your custom dm maps under data/missions/multiplayer.
Do place your dm maps under addon/missions/multiplayer/mapfolder.

Don't put everything under the addon folder.
Do place custom models under addon/missions/multiplayer/mapfolder.

Don't delete the default vehicle that spawns when you edit and save the map as a custom DM map.

Don't edit the map with the /nobodyhome switch enabled. Do disable scripts.

Don't forget to change the dll to deathmatch01.dll on non dm maps before saving a custom dm map.

Don't forget to make a map shellmap, inf, and odf file.

Don't try to include every stinkin power up in the editor. Do place a few prefered power ups and service pods in key places around the map.

Don't set vehicle health settings too high in the unit odf. Do set it sufficiently to make destroying a ship a bit of a challenge, but not impossible.

Don't add too many props to a dm map. Do add a few select props to visually enhance the game play.

More to be added as I learn more about custom deathmatch modding. Special tanks to GBD, GSH, and N1 for helping make my brain ache a whole lot less. PS: Feel free to add some other do's and don'ts that I'm sure I missed. BNG.

When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

General BlackDragon

Don't step on stock assets. Good way to ensure you dont have duplicate assets: put your initials in the file names of every custom odf/model.

Don't end odf's in numbers for strat. Strategy dll adds numbers to the end for team numbers. If player 2 builds ivcons, it will be named ivcons2, if u have another file called ivcons2, that file will be used instead of ivcons. Short, instead of adding numbers for varients, use a,b,c,d, etc, or put the numbers before the last letter of the file name.

*****General BlackDragon*****