• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Transparent/Translucent Windows?

Started by General_Hoohah, June 21, 2009, 09:35:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Hoohah

Can a building in BZ2 or for that matter, 1.3, have windows that are tinted blue and are translucent? I need to know because this will impact the way I'm designing an command tower.
And remember, any problem caused by a tank can be solved by a tank.

Arbystrider

Don't the comm towers have tinted windows? Look at XMOD.
Quote from: GreenHeart on October 06, 2009, 01:39:19 AM
Beware of internet explorer it is horribly evil.
Yes it is. Stay away. Somebody should warn Microfeck. And call 911.

Nielk1

I use Reflection3.PIC with some black tinting and very little opacity. I do not know exactly what the glass flag does, but try adding __g to the end of a mesh name for glass as well.

You MIGHT in some cases want __2g (or __g2) to make it also 2 sided.

Click on the image...

mrtwosheds

The best way to do glass now in ta5+ is using transparent dxtbz2 textures (alpha channel) they look good, can be any colour you want, any amount of transparency and they work in no lighting  mode.

General_Hoohah

Remember guys, I don't model, I only make concept designs. So lol I have no idea what you're talking about. I just wanted to know if it was possible. :) If anyone wants my stuff, they'll have to take the wings file and do the rest of the stuff to it.... like umm... what you  just said. I don't know much about modeling, just sculpting something and leaving it at that.

Anyway, now I know its possible. :) Thanks

TheJamsh

be careful with the opacity setting. i know that if you switch lights to 'none', objects with their own transparency settings will turn solid white.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

Nielk1

Quote from: TheJamsh on June 22, 2009, 07:34:07 AM
be careful with the opacity setting. i know that if you switch lights to 'none', objects with their own transparency settings will turn solid white.

I've NEVER had that happen. Only lightning ever does it for me, which looks good actually.

Click on the image...

General_Hoohah

Probably different video card drivers... believe me, that can make all the difference in the world. I've had everything happen as a result of changing drivers in lots of video games, from Battlezone, to Battlezone 2, to Far Cry, to Crysis. Everything from dissapearing textures, missing effects, untextured ships, dissapearing water, clear water turning bright green, the sky dissapearing, complete computer melt down... and lots of other wierd stuff. The newer high end video cards like mine seem the most sensitive. AND ITS A PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

You also don't want one transparency behind another.  BZ2 will NOT like that and throw a framerate temper tantrum...

I agree, the best way is to use texture alpha channels to make things transparent, and the __2 flag to make it double sided.

The __g flag makes things glossy and semi-transparent.  It can do cool things but you give up control over the amount of transparency. 

-Av-

General_Hoohah

Hmmm. Does the window have to be a seperate polygon seperate from the building, just fitted into place?

GSH

You also don't want one transparency behind another.  BZ2 will NOT like that and throw a framerate temper tantrum...

I think this is better in 1.3ta5.

-- GSH

AHadley

If you want to do things Twoshed's way, I can make the texture. Just tell me the dimensions and what colour you want it. It may be a good idea to try using base textures on the model at first, to see how they look.

General_Hoohah

Quote from: General_Hoohah on June 22, 2009, 08:04:42 PM
Hmmm. Does the window have to be a seperate polygon seperate from the building, just fitted into place?

Clavin12

Quote from: AHadley on June 23, 2009, 12:36:26 AM
If you want to do things Twoshed's way, I can make the texture. Just tell me the dimensions and what colour you want it. It may be a good idea to try using base textures on the model at first, to see how they look.

BTW Ahadley (this doesn't have much to do with the thread) but can you (and I mean you, yourself not "is it possible") texture models in 3ds, or in x form, because if I help with concept design and modeling for a Community Project I'll need sum1 to do textures for me because I don't have the ability to do that.
C l a v i n 1 2

AHadley

Not as yet, but I'm working on learning to create new textures so bear with me.