• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

bastard hackers

Started by TheJamsh, June 24, 2009, 01:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonic

The fact passwords are in plain text would suggest poor security. Even with a database dump of the forums here, I cannot get access to plain text passwords because simply put, there is none. Your passwords are hash using your username as a salt; very difficult to get the password from that effeciently.
"Linux is user friendly...
...it's just very selective about who its friends are."

cheesepuffly

I kinda get what your saying here, but what do YOU mean by plain text passwords?               
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!

VSMIT

An unencrypted list of usernames>passwords for a site.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

Zero Angel

Have different passwords for everything! ESPECIALLY your email account. That way if he hacks the password for your myspace account it wont be any use to him if he tries to hack your email account.

I have about 7 different common passwords that I have stored in my head (over the course of several years). And I might use them for 30 different things, and in some cases use variations of them (like if one of my favorite passwords was 'damocles', i fudge the word slightly like into 'damocl3s' or 'damocles13' (if 13 was my favorite number) or something like that)

Your email box is the most sacred one so make sure it has a unique password to everything else. And NEVER put your email password into another webpage aside from the one you normally log into it from. That way the hacker cannot crack the password and then use the 'rcover lost password' feature to compromise your other accounts.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

Zero Angel

Your account is "going to" be hacked?

If you ask me, it sounds like an empty threat.

The kind of people who are capable of hacking myspace are not pathetic stalkers.

If he gets your password at all, it will be through a keylogger, which will not infact get on your machine unless you NEVER do any security stuff on your computer (updates, firewall, antivirus), or if you're really gullible and he tricks you into giving it away.
QuoteAwareness, Teamwork, Discipline
Constantly apply these principles, and you will succeed in a lot of things, especially BZ2 team strat.
{bac}Zero Angel
Victory through superior aggression

TheJamsh

Ive heard nothing back from whoever it is. I think ZA is right in that its an empty threat, i know hes using a hacked account but given that it seems to be someone he knows he may have known the password or the information neccesary to reset it.

All my passwords have changed except the ones for the BZ forums, mainly because my password is a registration number that no one is ever going to be able to guess.

Im not stupid either, i know what a keylogger is as iver used one before, but nothings getting through to this laptop from myspace. Hopefully no electronic tails lead to BZU now, as the details are all totally different. E-mail address has alwasy been different as well. I think we are safe tbh. Its probably the initial 'oh crap what am i gunna do' that sparked this post.

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

cheesepuffly

Quote from: VSMIT on June 24, 2009, 08:52:38 PM
An unencrypted list of usernames>passwords for a site.

oooooooooooh, i thought they ment the pass words were just plain text instead of some complicated nonsensical combinaton.
I liek chz

Chaka-Chaka-Pata-Pon!