• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Drat... Any helpers?

Started by TheJamsh, July 06, 2009, 12:30:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNG Da BZ Fool

Could learning specific C/C++ commands relevent to BZ be posted as like snipets of code for non programmers to use as examples? I have both C and C++ just sitting on my PC wasting drive space. Would like to learn a bit of them to use with BZ. Could someone with programming experience please post a few how to articles that would serve as a spring board for others to get started and applying that knowledge as relevent to our beloved game? Just food for thought BNG. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

General BlackDragon

there is dll documentation for 1.3 DLL source

*****General BlackDragon*****

AHadley

I have a PDF copy of a book called "C++ for dummies" that I intend to learn from in the near future :)

BNG Da BZ Fool

I looked into learning C/C++, and then realized why people go to school to learn programming. It's no easy task for the average BZ modder to undertake. That said, learning bits and pieces relevent to the game is a different story and a bit easier to comprehend and apply.

Code Project, is one place to start, but so far I've yet to see much specific information there relating to BZII or many other video games for that matter. Still, most modders would love to learn enough to make a few silly custom DLL's if a few programmers that hang around this forum would be willing to post some basic tutorials to get us rolling on our own.

Actually, I was thinking of something like posting a few generic templates related to the game and how to do stuff like those discussed in various forum posts throughout the years. Seems like phrases like "you could do it with a DLL" are tossed around freely but never lead anywhere. I'd rather see such a topic stickied instead of the current one labelled, Poly count for BZII models and props to optimize performance in game. I was really surprized when that one was stickied. 
When I'm not in hot water with the community I'm usually making models for BZII. I've made a few models for other peeps. BNG.

OvermindDL1

Quote from: BNG Da BZ Fool on July 10, 2009, 11:16:00 AM
I looked into learning C/C++, and then realized why people go to school to learn programming. It's no easy task for the average BZ modder to undertake. That said, learning bits and pieces relevent to the game is a different story and a bit easier to comprehend and apply.

And there is a reason many programming jobs will not hire programmers who are taught at a school, they never have the proper drive and are missing huge amount of necessary knowledge.  Self-taught is the way to go!  Still need a degree though.

Generated by OvermindDL1's Signature Auto-Add Script via GreaseMonkey

Nielk1

Quote from: OvermindDL1 on July 16, 2009, 12:06:55 AM
And there is a reason many programming jobs will not hire programmers who are taught at a school, they never have the proper drive and are missing huge amount of necessary knowledge.  Self-taught is the way to go!  Still need a degree though.

You need both. The education provides the basis for understanding and then you yourself use that to extend what you know.

Click on the image...

AHadley

I dropped IT as soon as I could, it's a bloody boring course and all it ever does (even at A-Level which is roughly 16-18) is teach you how to use Microsoft Office, which I barely use anyway.

TheJamsh

Yep. Computer-based classes at our school were the same. You don't delve into the real knowledge, you just learn how to use microsoft office.

My teachers wanted to bring back computer science, one of the better subjects which actually teaches you something. Unfortunately all the oxygen thieves decided it was going to be too hard for them and the extra work wasn't what they needed. So the smaller percentage of my year who actually wanted to learn something couldn't...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.

bigbadbogie

Same for me. All the kids were complaining about how easy everything was and how braindead the teacher was. Luckily I left that school.

Quoteoxygen thieves

You don't mind if I borrow that phrase?
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

TheJamsh

lol... not at all. Red Devil seemed to like it as well...

BZII Expansion Pack Development Leader. Coming Soon.