• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Aliens, exist or not?

Started by cheesepuffly, August 02, 2009, 12:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket

Quote from: Mr X on August 22, 2009, 01:42:24 PM
Actually, lets try a bit of natural selection logic here:

two people:

Person A has emotions

Person B doesn't

A cat is in a burning building, who is more likely to try to save that cat and likely remove themselves from the gene pool?

emotions are something that every creature has.

emotions determine who's bad and who's good, they determine right from wrong, anger from love, being comfortable from uncomfortable, they derive what perspective you take of everything you see, they determine whether you are happy or sad, what you feel like eating, whether you are bored or excited, they derive so much, that anything without emotions is a computer program... Example: if there was a race of emotionless creatures they would have killed themselves out, because they would have no feeling of emotions, no feeling of right or wrong, or they would sit there doing nothing because they have no interest of doing ANYTHING.. they would have no interest in communicating with each other, no (feeling) of hunger, (eventually starving themselves) and they would be disabled from imagining anything too, in other words, they would be a bunch of computers, with nothing to do really.

oh yes, and who's to say that the person with emotions can't have an emotion that HATES cats??? emotions can be either way... :-P
Hidden Defenders Mod

Nielk1

Quote from: Mr X on August 22, 2009, 03:14:36 PM
No, necessity drives invention, emotionless would see a problem and find the most logical way to handle it.

2 things drive invention...

If I had no emotions, when would it get done? When it had to be done. If I did, look, I did it much earlier then it was EVER needed and not only get to feel accomplishment and good about myself but use it.

Click on the image...

bigbadbogie

Quote from: Avatar on August 21, 2009, 04:41:58 PM
Um...there are people now who are emotionless, they're called among other things "psychotics".  Humans could exist quite well without emotions

You know what happens to psychotics? They always do something really stupid and get themselves either killed or incarcerated.

Quote from: Mr X on August 22, 2009, 03:14:36 PM
No, necessity drives invention, emotionless would see a problem and find the most logical way to handle it.

Without emotions, you wouldn't understand that there was a problem, and you wouldn't even understand that logic was the way to deal with it.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Nielk1

That's why Vulcans have emotions, they just choose not to show them.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

They've sort of trained themselves to think without emotion so much, and for so long that they don't know that they can have emotion.
C l a v i n 1 2

DrummaDude

The question isn't so much whether if they exist or not, it's where they exist (at least to me).

Some people say Earth is extremely lucky for its perfect life harboring conditions. My thinking towards that is a little different. Of all the galaxies in that infinite universe, of all the stars in the galaxies of that universe, of all the planets of the stars of the galaxies in the universe, there will be some planets that will have that "perfect" condition, and Earth is one of them. Scale the number down, and thats how many may have life.

How long did it take for humans to develop this society, technology, etc? Thousand years give or take? Chances are, at some point of time, in that vast vaaaast time-line of the universe, one of those planets will have had 'intelligent' life.

That's how I see it.

iron maiden

the main emotions that drive a species are Fear, anger, envy, and greed. People fear another so they strive to improve themselves to achive the upper hand. One country hates another so they become stronger in order to beat it. One country is envious and seeks to improve itself to achieve what the country has. And if one country becomes greedy, they will better themselves to conquer others to achieve more of "X"
So we only get one chance can we take it
And we only get one life can't exchange it
Can we hold on to what we have don't replace it
The age of innocence is fading..... Like an old dream