• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Creating a plot for the 1.3 Community Project: Part 2

Started by Angstromicus, August 02, 2009, 12:46:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which stories do you favor the most?

Mr X's Time story
15 (60%)
AHadley's Perfidious story
9 (36%)
DROP PENDING: Gen_Hoohah's FE Sequel
5 (20%)
ScrapPool's Full Circle story
11 (44%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Angstromicus

It appears that voting has homogeneously stabilized for the first round.

Clavin's, BBB's, and Fall of Empires have been removed from the lineup.

The rest stay around for further discussion.
Mr X's Time story
AHadley's Perfidious story
General_Hoohah's FE Sequel
ScrapPool's Full Circle story

NOTE: I'm not saying that you CAN'T discuss any of the other stories. If you find some good ideas to use or even ideas that shouldn't be used, to make a point, then by all means...

This topic and what ever is discussed in it should be used as a means of determining the general disposition of the community. Note that only one story can be the plot for the 1.3 CP. It's possible that this story may not be any of the ones selected so far - but a combination of them or plot ideas related to them.

If a story falls out of the community's favoring, it'll be removed. If an idea for combining the stories is suggested, it'll be added to the poll options.

I'll go ahead and summarize what's been said so far:

Some users appear to be "torn" between Mr. X's and Ahadley's story, so the actual number of users who would like to see either of the two stories is probably higher.

Time travel and how to make it work well is a main discourse here. Although public opinion appears to support using time travel as a story device quite positively. Mr. X's and Scrap Pool's stories rely on time travel for the story but do it in different ways. It is also possible that users are torn between Mr. X's and Scrap Pool's stories, so the actual number of users favoring both stories may be higher.

General Hoohah's story appears to have received some interest, although it isn't as widely accepted as the other stories. I am unsure as to whether there should be any bias to the votes for this story.

Users are also suggesting combining the stories (namely Mr X's, AHadley's, and Scrap Pool's stories).

If Gen_Hoohah's FE Sequel does not receive more attention, it may be dropped from the line-up!
If you want the story to stay in, please say so. It would do better for you to present a case as well.
Otherwise, please nominate for the story to be dropped.

Nielk1

I prefer Mr. X's time travel to Scrap Pool's. Just the basis of it's existence.

Click on the image...

Clavin12

What would happen if we changed the time travel to a sort of virtual time travel where the subject goes into a past (or future) world which he can interact with, but his body remains in the time travel machine and at the time that he was sent off?
C l a v i n 1 2

Nielk1

That would be annoying and not fun at all. We need our massive space carriers blasting though time!

Click on the image...

ScrapPool

Quote from: Nielk1 on August 02, 2009, 02:58:32 PM
That would be annoying and not fun at all. We need our massive space carriers blasting though time!
Like in my story!   :x

:lol:
Got it covered.
"Full Circle"

VSMIT

And in Mr X's, though his is more of a time-chase.
I find that if I don't have a signature, some people disregard the last couple of lines of a long post.
Quote from: Lizard
IQ's have really dropped around here just recently, must be something in the water.

ScrapPool

Quote from: VSMIT on August 02, 2009, 03:46:52 PM
And in Mr X's, though his is more of a time-chase.

Well yea, and Mr X's would have a lot more portalage, a lot more movies...
Got it covered.
"Full Circle"

Clavin12

If there's going to be time travel I prefer yours, scrap pool.
C l a v i n 1 2

bigbadbogie

Sorry to be the one who attacks it, but I really think that time travel in BZ2 is kind of a stupid idea.

I don't think that it fits well with the BZ storyline at all.
Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

Angstromicus

How realistic do we want BZ2 to be? I haven't read into the FE storyline in-depth, but to me it seems like FE focused heavily on realism within the battlezone storyline.

I have to agree, that even though a self-containing paradoxical loop seems like a fun idea, it's not a very realistic one unless it can somehow get some further explanation (say, perhaps the very properties of biometal may be explainable as a paradoxical loop acting on something, creating a "strange matter" we know as biometal).

ScrapPool

Quote from: Angstromicus on August 02, 2009, 06:28:22 PM
How realistic do we want BZ2 to be? I haven't read into the FE storyline in-depth, but to me it seems like FE focused heavily on realism within the battlezone storyline.

I have to agree, that even though a self-containing paradoxical loop seems like a fun idea, it's not a very realistic one unless it can somehow get some further explanation (say, perhaps the very properties of biometal may be explainable as a paradoxical loop acting on something, creating a "strange matter" we know as biometal).

Ya know there is the realism thing.

Then again, BZ has always been centered around an inexplicably nearly indestructible metal which, when stimulated properly, magically turns liquidous that it might be shaped into incredible machines. But it doesn't do this in battle. Also, it can think.  :?
Then we get to BZII in which there is a race of beings fused with this metal, and somehow they survive. In fact, they need to get three energy projectors to fire at a planet through a wormhole and this transforms the planet into a machine-world which allows the scions to live near it.

Realistic? You decide.

Point is: this universe already has biometal, which I promise you, a lot of main stream writers wouldn't touch because frankly, its not very believable.

(from here on, read slowly and carefully)

Also: self-predestining time travel loops aren't really so strange, and don't require extraneous explanation to justify, because they are merely the result of a logical conclusion solving the possibility of universe-destroying paradoxes. What a mouthful.
And because it is mathematically true that you would go "back in time" if you traveled faster than light (primarily because nothing happens faster than light) due to special relativity, then time travel technically doesn't break any accepted physical or mathematical laws as long as a way to travel faster than light is provided (not an easy task, chemically, it requires an infinite amount of energy to accelerate even a quark faster than light), and in the case of Full Circle, we have a way to do that in the "Warp" drive (Alcubierre Drive), which actually doesn't move anything faster than light, but instead warps space around the desired craft and "pushes" it along at speeds which seem faster than light to an outside observer.

The real point is: it is arguable that time travel is more realistic than biometal.

And I think we all are thinking of paradoxical time loops in the wrong perspective, as though the event which caused them is "new" and somehow "changed" the past. If we assume that the events of Full Circle are true, then humans have always been evolved from the microbes on Adam and Eves dying bodies, there was never a time when something different was the case, it was never "changed" from some other scenario of our evolution by time travel, it was always the case, because here we are assuming that there is only a single time line, and that our scions went BACK IN THE ONLY TIMELINE THAT EXISTS, and caused humans evolution. It doesn't matter weather they know what thier actions mean, the fun is that the player knows. Time travel is not a new action, but merely an action happening such that it fulfills the requirements that must be met for it to happen in the first place.
OH MY GOD its so hard to explain... you kind of have to think of words in dual tenses in order for it to compute completely... think of the universe as timeless. Try to imagine that you can't control your own destiny even though from your perspective it seems as though you are making choices which could have gone either way. <- this world-view is the key to understanding whatever the hell it is that the oracle says in the matrix.
Self-fulfilling time paradoxes inherently support a deterministic outlook on things. You can read that link if you want to see what i mean. Yes, the whole thing.
:-D

*falls to the ground, out of breath*

P.S.: read this story's plot. It is another example of a self-fulfilling time loop, except that when contrasted with Full Circle, it is more complex, covers a shorter domain of time, AND it actually has a time machine!
Got it covered.
"Full Circle"

Clavin12

Quote from: bigbadbogie on August 02, 2009, 05:58:29 PM
Sorry to be the one who attacks it, but I really think that time travel in BZ2 is kind of a stupid idea.

I don't think that it fits well with the BZ storyline at all.

Thats what i've been trying to say.
C l a v i n 1 2

Feared_1

It's just a vote :P

If you don't want time travel, don't vote for it.

ScrapPool

Quote from: Feared_1 on August 02, 2009, 08:08:01 PM
It's just a vote :P

If you don't want time travel, don't vote for it.

Why I can't say short things like this, i don't know...
Got it covered.
"Full Circle"

Feared_1

I'm not telling anyone they can't discuss, but it seems pretty funny to me that people say "I DON'T LIKE THE TIME TRAVEL... DO SOMETHING ELSE" when there is a vote right there :-P