• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Upgrading weapons

Started by Flash, August 09, 2009, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vid

Who said they only fired 1 comet?  Besides the outrageous ammo usage restricting it to 1-2 comets for a whole full tank of ammo.

Build four Supply Bldgs, hop in a Bomber and sit in the middle of the Supply Bldgs, target and fire, target and fire...    :evil:

Comets will lock in on the previous comet, making a conga line into an enemy base...

http://www.bz2md.com/smf/index.php?topic=1176.msg12533#msg12533

Quote from: ssuser on August 28, 2009, 11:05:26 PM
Do you have the Comet relic files? I think they are found only in the bz1 demo - I don't see GEOs anywhere in BZ1, not in 1.4, anyway.

There actually is a model?  I made my own from some of the other Olympian buildings but if there actually is one I'd love to see a shot of it...  I made a comet, too, but was never really happy with it...

-Av-

Rocket

i was just thinking.. what were the fury tanks for anyway? i mean, the flying ones were much more effective.... and i just thought, maybe the fury tanks were the ones that planted the arc mines that were always lying around.... were the furies the ones that made those mines?
Hidden Defenders Mod

bb1

Fury tanks must have utilized less resources, especially where the "flight drive" is involved. The flying furies also have a 200 forward velocity, which must have also taken much scrap to achieve.

I think a better question is: how did a bunch of flying ships with no arms or legs build a rocket to escape into space?

bigbadbogie

Others would merely say it was good humour.

My BZ2 mods:

QF2: Essence to a Thief - Development is underway.

Fleshstorm 2: The Harvest - Released on the 6th of November 2009. Got to www.bz2md.com for details.

QF Mod - My first mod, finished over a year ago. It can be found on BZ2MD.com

ssuser

Dx - knew there was something missing, guess the sdf is there but not the GEO - I remember trying to place the Comet relic on the map during my early days of experimenting and having the game crash instantly.

Av, I have a picture of the Comet relic - can't remember if it is one you sent me - kind of reminiscent of a bird? I thought Killer Instinct had told me he had pulled the Comet files out of the BZ1 demo - he got some strange looking repair pods too - I may be misremembering though.

2 million dead - for that I would think the comet should have the explosion radius of the Day Wrecker missile, lol.

Fury tanks never drop Arc Mines, I think they are just in to add variety - they are not very dangerous and easy to kill. The mines are just set in place on Titan and Achilles - on Mars though, they are spawned objects, notice if you kill some of them they will reappear later to zap your scavs when they get to a couple of spots on the map.

Vid

Quote from: bb1 on August 30, 2009, 10:54:05 PM
Fury tanks must have utilized less resources, especially where the "flight drive" is involved. The flying furies also have a 200 forward velocity, which must have also taken much scrap to achieve.

I think a better question is: how did a bunch of flying ships with no arms or legs build a rocket to escape into space?

Granted it may be my newbie-ness when it comes to editing odfs, but.. I've put some custom tanks in, and gave them very high velocities.  Still, nothing I can make so far is able to keep up with a flying fury when it wants to get across the map in a hurry.  Even with 400 or 500 velocity, they toast me easily.

General BlackDragon

Quote from: ssuser on August 31, 2009, 03:25:04 AM
Av, I have a picture of the Comet relic - can't remember if it is one you sent me - kind of reminiscent of a bird?

If you're refrerring to looking like a hawk's head, that was the Red Field relic.

*****General BlackDragon*****

bb1

Somehow, they act as pilotless ships and belong to another set of physics than the ones of a piloted ship. Imagine an empty ship with infinite acceleration.

Hell, I don't know, I'm speculating.

ssuser

General BlackDragon, the comet picture I have is a much bigger head than what is on the Redfield and also much more elongated - totally different relic. That redfield relic is nice looking though, for an Olympian relic.

Furies almost seem to teleport across maps - it's curious the way they appear and disappear on radar also. Other strange characteristics they have is the ability to travel THROUGH terrain, and zap pilots on the ground with an invisible death ray. They also blow up whenever they go off the map edge.

I think the Fury Tanks should have been MUCH harder to kill, given how slow they are AND seeing as how most non-hovering biometal units (walkers) are explained as having too much armor to hover...    I have some theories on that, though...

Now, the Fury chunk from Io is a tail piece of the exact same Fury we end up building.  This could be the result of us following the plans pretty much exactly as the Hadeans wrote them, or the inherent 'memory' that biometal has (feed it? watch it regrow the missing pieces?)  or it could be that the Dev team never got around to making a different model for it...  :)  I like to think we followed the plans, slapped a coat of paint on it, and ended up with exactly the same thing as the Ancients.

The fact that the CCA Fury Hovertank is so lame makes me think that we might not have gotten it totally right, though...
Some observations and deductions: 

Furies are created from the biometal vehicles a race creates, so they start out as not much more than a smart version of the original tank.  They don't stay that way, though, as we find in the BZ1 SP campaign.  Originally weak, the Furies were later described as having found a way to make their skin invulnerable to our weapons.  This implies that they can alter their own makeup.

Quote from: bb1 on August 30, 2009, 10:54:05 PM

Good question... to add to it there's the CCA Hangar they used as a Fury Production Facility.  This implies that the Furies can alter themselves or each other as well as OUR buildings (upgrade?) which could also mean they can create their own buildings as well.   This gives us Furies that can act as a Constructor.  Since we only saw the two types we either didn't see the Fury Constructor or that function can be done by one of the two types we saw...

There's also the change they undergo, ditching the original paint job for the same color scheme the original Hadean Furies had.  Both the ability to change our technology and themselves seems to indicate some sort of racial memory...  or a really fast learning curve.

Finally, we have the fact that while they seem to be all doing their own thing there are instances of coordinated moves.  I've seen the Flyers pushing the Tanks across the map, and groups of four or five Flyers descending on my base the moment I get far away or near an objective (oh for crying out loud YES I know the Devs scripted it that way, give me a break here... :) ).  This implies they cooperate and can communicate.

Enough observations and deductions, time for speculating...   

I propose that along with racial memory, Furies have a hive intellect.  Each unit is semi-autonomous, but part of a collective whole.  What one knows they all know, and there's no need for communicating when there's one mind.

I like to think that the Scions achieved a mild form of this when converted, also... 

I propose that each Fury can alter themselves and other buildings in a way similar to the BZ2 'upgrade' process.  This isn't the same as creating a new unit or building, it's just rearranging something that already exists and can be done without huge scrap stores.  This is important as we haven't seen the rest of the biometal food chain (Scavs, Extractors, Silos, Production Units) so they may not exist.

I propose that to create a new unit or building a Fury must alter itself or another unit into the new one.  I'd further propose that multiple Furies could join together this way into single, larger units.

This means that the Fury Tanks were originally Fury Flyers that 'upgraded', or were created from a converted building like the Hangar on Titan.

That means the same for the Fury Transport, or that it was made from the bodies of multiple 'upgraded' Furies who merged and formed the Transport.  I find that a very cool concept...

This sort of 'upgrading' ability fits in well with the biometal developments shown in BZ2, and means that the longer the Furies were around the more variety of form we'd see and the stronger they'd get.  Who knows what they might eventually evolve into, or how strong they'd get?

Good thing we took them out early...  :)

Quote from: ssuser on August 31, 2009, 11:47:42 AM
Av, I have a picture of the Comet relic - can't remember if it is one you sent me - kind of reminiscent of a bird? I thought Killer Instinct had told me he had pulled the Comet files out of the BZ1 demo - he got some strange looking repair pods too - I may be misremembering though.

General BlackDragon, the comet picture I have is a much bigger head than what is on the Redfield and also much more elongated - totally different relic. That redfield relic is nice looking though, for an Olympian relic.

That rings a bell about KI, wonder if that's where I got the design?  It is the head of the Redfield on a much smaller base...  like I said, it never really worked like I wanted, which was sort of a "Pez comet dispenser).  :)   I wanted the head to move up and drop a comet, but could never get the recoil to work right...

-Av-

bb1

So DX, how does the game make SAV go SO fast? Is it just because of the AI process?

---

The 1.3CP really should put an easter egg in a mission which when you I key it, you get "Grizzly 1 Meteor" :D

Nielk1

Quote from: Avatar on August 31, 2009, 03:22:11 PMWho knows what they might eventually evolve into, or how strong they'd get?

Good thing we took them out early...  :)

You've shown us we haven't.

Click on the image...

Rocket

that pilot wouldn't last long...  :-o
Hidden Defenders Mod

General BlackDragon

put this in orbit and he wont even need "long"

A fury "mothership" of my own design. :) Featuring a continious bolt cannon, duel smart wasps, and an elliptical force shield. I even thought about increasing the size and replacing the wasps with fury flyer dispensers.  :evil:

*****General BlackDragon*****