• Welcome to Battlezone Universe.

News:

Welcome to the BZU Archive dated December 24, 2009. Topics and posts are in read-only mode. Those with accounts will be able to login and browse anything the account had access granted to at the time. No changes to permissions will be made to be given access to particular content. If you have any questions, please reach out to squirrelof09/Rapazzini.

Main Menu

Upgrading weapons

Started by Flash, August 09, 2009, 08:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

"Phosphorous bullets" are the real life equivalent, and such a thing would fit in perfectly with the Ancient Hadean philosophy.

:evil:

-Av-

ssuser

You mean incendiary/tracer bullets? I suppose they are sort of like that, but I think they are more geared towards starting fires than actually melting into what they hit. There's phosphorus grenades - those are wicked. Real thermite is a mix of iron oxide and aluminum - when ignited, it is extremely exothermic and produces an actual puddle of molten iron. I don't think it can be effectively used in projectiles, just bombs and grenades, maybe mortar shells.

As an aside, Av, have you ever thought it odd to see the Arc Mines guarding the Olympian facility so early in the game? No other electric bolt technology surfaces until you hit Titan, and it seems more of a Hadean/Fury trait than something Paternus might have thought up.

You mean the Olympian version of the arc mine around the Lemnos Facility on Mars?  I never really thought about it as not fitting Olympian tech, which I didn't really look at until I started messing with BZC. 

Well, Paternus can't be the ONLY weapons designer on the Olympian side, just as Nexus probably wasn't the only Hadean coming up with weapons.  And Furies are shown to just use whatever technology they can grab/convert.  They probably encountered the Arc Mines and copied them, upgrading them in the process.

-Av-

ssuser

Mmmmm, but... the Furies have Bolt Buddies, which show up nowhere else in SP, plus the WASP, which is another unique weapon and seems to be an inherent Fury device, at least by the shape and color of its design. So I am thinking that electric arc technology is of Fury/Hadean origin.

I suppose it is possible that the Arc Mines were originally Olympian, it is just curious to me that they show up like that on just the one Mars mission, almost as an afterthought. Also, the INF file for these shows up as saying these are "Much more destructive than the Olympian version", this is for both the Mars mines and the later ones, maybe a mistake by the devs, or maybe they found they couldn't spawn a custom one later with a custom odf?

BTW Av, is that Comet pic I posted up above yours?

bb1

It is totally irrelevant since the beam class was broken. It isn't destructive at all.

General BlackDragon

*****General BlackDragon*****

Dx

It was broken in 1.0 too, it's not doing what it says in the odf.

bb1

Quote from: Dx on September 13, 2009, 09:01:40 PM
It was broken in 1.0 too, it's not doing what it says in the odf.

Quote from: General BlackDragon on September 13, 2009, 07:29:48 PM
its not broken in 1.0 :P

FACE

---

In any case, why would we talk about old versions? That's counter productive to the conversation. That's like, in this forum, me trying to say how THERE WASN'T EVEN A BEAM WEAPON IN THE OLD BZ (arcade) Ehhhh?

ssuser

There are a few "beam" weapons in bz1, are you referring to the flash cannon? There was a discussion about this quite awhile ago, comparing the "old" flash odf with the newer one. It seems at least as far as single player goes you can fix the odf to make it work, but IIRC Dx found in the actual code some problems with the packet stuff for MP making it not work right. Dx, would this also apply to stuff like the Bolt Buddy in multi?

AHadley

He meant the proper, original Battlezone. The Atari one.

Dx

Quote from: ssuser on September 13, 2009, 10:15:52 PM
IIRC Dx found in the actual code some problems with the packet stuff for MP making it not work right. Dx, would this also apply to stuff like the Bolt Buddy in multi?

The flash is classLabel = "beam" and the Bolt Buddy is classLabel = "bolt", beam class has the problems.
I didn't mess with the bolt so idk, if it used the code from beam class i'm sure it has a problem.

bb1

Quote from: ssuser on September 13, 2009, 10:15:52 PM
There are a few "beam" weapons in bz1, are you referring to the flash cannon? There was a discussion about this quite awhile ago, comparing the "old" flash odf with the newer one. It seems at least as far as single player goes you can fix the odf to make it work, but IIRC Dx found in the actual code some problems with the packet stuff for MP making it not work right. Dx, would this also apply to stuff like the Bolt Buddy in multi?

Joke Fail  :-(

General BlackDragon

Quote from: Dx on September 14, 2009, 07:07:23 AM
The flash is classLabel = "beam" and the Bolt Buddy is classLabel = "bolt", beam class has the problems.
I didn't mess with the bolt so idk, if it used the code from beam class i'm sure it has a problem.

gmbolt is a beamgun

*****General BlackDragon*****

Dx

ssuser

Ack! All this odf stuff is so confusing... my head hurts...  :-D

I was thinking that since the Arc Mines also use a continuous beam they might be subject to the same problems in multiplayer. Since the Bolt Buddy is one quick pulse I think that would be ok. Although a steady stream of Bolt Buddy damage is fun to implement.  :evil:

I think that they should have made the Bolt Buddy a bit more powerful, IMO it is fairly useless as a weapon - not too many shots, short range, and it seems to do little damage compared to other weapon loadouts. And, its expensive.